chai2

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 11:21 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

People are so easily filled with awe these days . . . it must be a confidence tricksters paradise.

I'll never forget on 9/11, watching the Twin Towers get hit on a TV that was in a public place. About 5 strangers and I where just watching, speechless. Then a young guy comes up, watches for a few seconds, gets this look of glee on his face and says "Awesome!"

I hope he never forgets that was his initial reaction to the death of thousands of people.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 11:29 am
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:
"Born or Emerged from the unknown" still implies there was something other than nothing

In what way? I believe "unknown" is pretty well defined.

Maybe you just aren't willing to accept "unknown" as an answer. Or maybe you are not willing to accept that other people do accept "unknown" as an answer.

What is your goal with this question? Is it to try to understand the atheist perspective, or to try to show that atheists harbor some type of inner belief in "creation" because you don't see an alternative?
timur

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 11:29 am
@chai2,
Holstein Friesian cows:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Holstein_heifer.jpg
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 12:51 pm
@rosborne979,
I honestly want to understand anyone's perspective, not just atheists, because I am a curious person. I find it fascinating to hear all the shapes and forms things can take simply because we are all so unique. I believe it ALL has value and I enjoy finding the value in those things. I know what I believe and why. I'm not here to have my mind changed or to change anyone else's.

Oh.,. And to answer your other question... That is a good point. It is something I will consider and get back to you on.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:27 pm
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:
It is common atheist behavior from what I have seen so far.

This says it all about your attitude--your snide, hateful attitude toward atheists. You meet someone, and see, say, a woman, someone with a university education, someone from the Bronx, someone who loves cats and can't stand dogs, who likes big salads and steaks . . . but then you learn that she is an atheist, and nothing else matters for you.

You're disgusting. Do Catholics and Baptists thinks exactly alike? Do all Baptists think like all other Baptists? Atheists are a not a monolith of people who all think exactly alike. They're individuals, and no two of them are identical. I gets so tired of the religious haters, like you.
Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:28 pm
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:
Yeah. I directed it at atheists because I was curious if I would get the same volital response as I have previously, or if I would get an actual answer to the question. I don't like blanket statements, and try not to judge a group as a whole based on the few... or many outspoken babblers.

Can you really not see the smug hypocrisy of this remark? Incredible.

There is not word "volital" in English.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:30 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
There is not word "volital" in English.

Alcohol, ether, gasoline, acetone, etc are volital if you come from Brooklyn.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:32 pm
As a native of the city of New York, i would be appalled to think that this superstitious relic of the 13th century were a native of Brooklyn.
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:34 pm
@rosborne979,
The word unknown implies there is something there that is not known. Whether that be a person, a thing, or two meteors got drunk and had a good time one night and nine months later popped out mother earth... That's how I understand it from its definition. If I am misunderstanding, I would appreciate it if you could explain how.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:39 pm
@onevoice,
Quote:
It is common atheist behavior from what I have seen so far.

You seem to have an idea that "atheists" are all, or mostly, people who are enemies of religion and who have nothing better to do than argue with deists about stuff. Lots of people (myself included) just kind of don't believe in God in an undramatic way, but still have a lot of time for the metaphors of the Christian tradition. In fact I am toying with the idea of Christian atheism (along the lines of the Sea of Faith movement) although I cannot rid myself of the feeling that if you only think of God as a human creation then you are somehow clinging onto a phantom that you are not brave enough to let go of.
onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:39 pm
@Setanta,
That was certainly not the intention, but you may take it how you would like to. And nope, not a great speller either. Mostly because of my auto correct and I just don't catch it before I hit reply! Lol Oh, and what I meant was explosive.
onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:45 pm
@Setanta,
I said it once but I will say it again: I honestly want to understand anyone's perspective, not just atheists, because I am a curious person. I find it fascinating to hear all the shapes and forms things can take simply because we are all so unique. I believe it ALL has value and I enjoy finding the value in those things. I know what I believe and why. I'm not here to have my mind changed or to change anyone else's.

Are you reading all the responses or just the ones that suit your cause? Whatever that may be...
onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 01:53 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Do I? At no point did I say all atheists. Did you only read half of that sentence? "From what I have seen so far"... If I believed that I wouldn't be wasting my time asking any questions. What would be the point?

"You seem to have an idea that "atheists" are all, or mostly, people who are enemies of religion and who have nothing better to do than argue with deists about stuff."

Apparently you are not reading all the responses either... Lol

Besides... What does any of that have to do with the question? The whole purpose of this thread..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 02:06 pm
@onevoice,
There are 175 threads on atheism here at a2k - to review them, click on this:

http://able2know.org/forum/atheism/
(enough to satisfy the thirstiest person's curiosity)
onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 02:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah. I've seen most of them. So? I'm asking a question. If people don't like it or want to participate in the topic being discussed, then don't. It's simple really.

We are all adults here aren't we?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 02:14 pm
@onevoice,
Ignore them OneVoice. Setanta makes personal attacks at anyone who expresses an opionion he doesn't care for, and the rest of them just chime in.

You have every right to express your opinion here. The personal attacks are really unfortunate...
onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 02:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank you! Smile It would be nice to actually see what I am looking for here. Someone to answer the question... Honestly. So far there has only been one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 03:54 pm
@onevoice,
You are welcome to your question.
A fair number of us atheists who have been on a2k a long time, say a dozen years, don't have the interest in explaining our thoughts on it again, it's a kind of burn out. Most of us aren't interested in debating the matter all, in the first place, but even just questions get old. This isn't speaking for all atheists here, but quite a few of us. Thus I gave a link to a lot of the past stuff.

The one atheist thread I noticed you participate in before this one you started, was this one: http://able2know.org/topic/65169-1

Apparently you didn't actually read it. It was probably the only religion thread that mean to be a friendly, humorous, and even fond discussion between believers and non believers who knew each other from a2k. You and the other guy missed that.

Carry on.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 04:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
A fair number of us atheists who have been on a2k a long time, say a dozen years, don't have the interest in explaining our thoughts on it again, it's a kind of burn out. Most of us aren't interested in debating the matter all, in the first place, but even just questions get old.

I understand this completely. This is a good reason for people to skip over this thread. This isn't a excuse for personal attacks. I imagine that there were quite a few people who, when they saw this thread, said "no, thank you" to themselves and moved right along.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 04:12 pm
@maxdancona,
You are a lying sack of sh*t. And this clown One Voice is just the kind of monomaniacal hater who will be your kind of friend.