Judaism works all by itself. But Christianity and Islam both require Judaism.

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 04:31 am
Judaism came first (at least with regards to these 3.) Then Christianity, then Islam. But Judaism exists by itself and doesn't use or depend upon the validity of the latter two. But Christianity requires Judaism in how it takes the deity, the concept of a Messiah, and over 99% of theocratic law. If Christianity were only the NT, it wouldn't work, so it pastes its' text onto a previous religion to make it seem legitimate. And Islam goes one further co-opting both Christianity and Judaism (Qur'an mentions Jesus more often than Mohammed, acknowledges the Jewish prophets, etc.)

So how credible or legitimate is a religion if it depends on previous religions? Why not just be the previous religion?

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 07:58 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
I'm definitely not an expert on Judaism but in my conception, Jews were just another word (perhaps the first) for a believer in One God. To that extent, all monotheistic people are Jews.

Isn't a Jew just a believer who is still waiting on the messiah?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 08:22 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Jews were just another word (perhaps the first) for a believer in One God. To that extent, all monotheistic people are Jews.

Actually Jews were not the first monotheists. The Zoroastrians, for one, are earlier than the Jews (and the Jews took many ideas from them). You might say that all monotheistic people are Zoroastrians. But then Atenism was monotheistic religion that I think predated Zoroaster.

Then of course are the monotheistic religions that have nothing to do with what sprung up in the Middle East.
Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 10:35 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Jews were just another word (perhaps the first) for a believer in One God. To that extent, all monotheistic people are Jews.

Actually Jews were not the first monotheists. The Zoroastrians, for one, are earlier than the Jews (and the Jews took many ideas from them). You might say that all monotheistic people are Zoroastrians. But then Atenism was monotheistic religion that I think predated Zoroaster.

Then of course are the monotheistic religions that have nothing to do with what sprung up in the Middle East.

It has nothing to do with monotheism. It has to do with who were the first candy store owners in the "old neighborhoods." First the Jews, then possibly Pakistanis, and then the candy store closed and most people went to the Seven Eleven.

0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 01:56 pm
Perhaps it has something to do with all them covenants
Miller

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:12 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Jews were just another word ... for a believer in One God.

Christians, Jews and Muslims all believe in the God of Abraham, i.e one God.

As far as the rest of your comments, you might consider studying Judaism at a more advanced level.
Miller

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:14 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

Perhaps it has something to do with all them covenants

Spoken like a true scholar...
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:44 am
@Miller,
Thankyou my friend, I learned it from a book Wink
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 10:10 am
@Miller,
There are several other cultures that believe that there is only one God... but that don't believe in the god of Abraham. Judaism was just one of several monotheistic religions that grew up independently of each other.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 10:18 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Some of the myths of Judaism (Adam and Eve, the flood) were borrowed from Summer so they are not original material. The temple and associated rites were inspired from Egypt. Just because a religion does not acknowledge its sources doesn't mean it has no external sources. "There's nothing new under the sun."
maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 10:22 am
@Olivier5,
There are some religions that are original. There is only one religion that I know of that features a beer volcano (and it happens to be monotheistic).
Olivier5

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 11:15 am
@maxdancona,
A beer volcano? That's hilarious. Come to think of it, is it a SERIOUS religious? By that I mean: do they believe their own stuff?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 01:22 pm
@Olivier5,
You really don't know about Pastafarianism? Start here to learn.

http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/
Olivier5

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 01:43 pm
@maxdancona,
Smile)
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 06:57 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Christians, Jews and Muslims all believe in the God of Abraham, i.e one God.

As far as the rest of your comments, you might consider studying Judaism at a more advanced level.

If I was looking for a religion I would. But at this point I'm convinced that finding God is a one on one activity. If you identify with a particular 'team' it just slows you down.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:42 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Isn't a Jew just a believer who is still waiting on the messiah?

Secular Jews don't believe in anything that's religious.

On the otherhand, those who belong to the religion of Judaism and who are observant according to traditions associated with the religion of Judaisim do believe in a messiah.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 11:42 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
On the otherhand, those who belong to the religion of Judaism and who are observant according to traditions associated with the religion of Judaisim do believe in a messiah.

There are also "millennarist Jews", who believe Jesus was the messiah but that he did not cancel the Law.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 02:43 am
Judaism is NOT monotheistic.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 04:09 am
@maxdancona,
BTW, didn't find the beer volcano in there.

And note that even pastafarianism drew inspiration from that rather esoteric religion called "American cuisine"...
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 05:52 am
@Olivier5,
The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a loving monster. Of course He will provide us a beer volcano when we enter eternity.