Judaism works all by itself. But Christianity and Islam both require Judaism.

neologist

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 09:38 am
@Foofie,
neologist wrote:
Judaism doesn't work. It requires a fulfillment of the Mosaic Law. Jesus fulfilled the Mosaic Law at Passover 33 C.E. So Christianity is the legal extension of the Edenic Promise (Genesis 3:15), the Abrahamic Covenant (Genesis 22:18), and the Mosaic Law Covenant (Exodus 19: 5,6).
Foofie wrote:
Jesus was not proselytizing to the Gentiles. Paul (aka, Saul) decided to proselytize to the Gentiles. The question is not whether Judaism works, but whether Christianity is an open club because Paul got his "epiphany." . . .
It was not Paul who had an 'epiphany'; it was Peter who was told to baptize Cornelius in Acts ch. 10. This took place at the end of the 70th week foretold in Daniel 9:27. Keep in mind the aforementioned Abrahamic Covenant included "all nations", not just Abraham's direct descendants.

So, I should have said Judaism was incomplete, as it certainly worked to identify the Messiah.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 09:45 am
@Miller,
Not you, nor anyone else, knows what Christ (if he existed) was actually like. That makes your definition of the word "Christian" quite meaningless.

According to the Bible, Jesus was a 30 year old homeless virgin son of a carpenter who wondered around a few backwoods towns with a group of fishermen and former prostitutes talking to people about the Kingdom of God, yelling at fruit trees and claiming to have actual conversations with Satan.

If this is the standard, I would say there are very few Christians. In fact the number is likely zero. If you define a word in such a way that it doesn't apply to anybody, then the word becomes meaningless.

In reality each Christian follows Christ, she understands Christ, in the way that makes sense to her. If someone claims to be a "Christian", I don't think you have any right to judge them unless you yourself have taken a 40 day trip into a desert with no food or water to talk to the Devil.
Foofie

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 09:56 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

neologist wrote:
Judaism doesn't work. It requires a fulfillment of the Mosaic Law. Jesus fulfilled the Mosaic Law at Passover 33 C.E. So Christianity is the legal extension of the Edenic Promise (Genesis 3:15), the Abrahamic Covenant (Genesis 22:18), and the Mosaic Law Covenant (Exodus 19: 5,6).
Foofie wrote:
Jesus was not proselytizing to the Gentiles. Paul (aka, Saul) decided to proselytize to the Gentiles. The question is not whether Judaism works, but whether Christianity is an open club because Paul got his "epiphany." . . .
It was not Paul who had an 'epiphany'; it was Peter who was told to baptize Cornelius in Acts ch. 10. This took place at the end of the 70th week foretold in Daniel 9:27. Keep in mind the aforementioned Abrahamic Covenant included "all nations", not just Abraham's direct descendants.

So, I should have said Judaism was incomplete, as it certainly worked to identify the Messiah.

You don't get it, in my opinion. Judaism doesn't envision a Heaven with cherubs, with wings, flying around. Judaism does not say it has all the answers; nor do they proselytize; therefore, I could sooner agree that Jesus is the Messiah that was meant for Gentiles (aka, other nations). Plus, if you notice, only Protestants really seem to value the Old Testament stories. That's not even half of the world's Christians, I believe. So, just let Jews enjoy their long memories, since they identify with those Jews that still had the moniker of Hebrews, Jewish just being a euphemism for Jew, that was an epithet (like windyish; a little windy, but not quite).

If there was any chance to convert Jews en masse, Gentiles weren't really up to the task of curtailing their tribal ethnocentrism for the past two millenia. All they can effect, in my opinion, is to assimilate secular Jews into post-Christian modernity.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 09:59 am
@Miller,
Quote:
At least 70% of the US population claims to be Christian. If one defines a Christian as one who acts in a Christ-like manner, can you honestly say, that 70% of the US population, who claim to be Christians, are really Christians.

What percent of the US population acts in what is defined as a "Christian" manner and thus acts in a Christ-like manner?

I don't know the figure but it should not be surprising that the claimants outnumber the actual number. Jesus was quoted as saying that when he returns there will be many who come running to him claiming kinship and he will say to them "I never knew you".
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 10:00 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Not you, nor anyone else, knows what Christ (if he existed) was actually like.

In reality each Christian follows Christ, she understands Christ, in the way that makes sense to her.

As a Jewish woman I have to admit, that I don't know what Christ "was actually like".

And I'll add at this point, I don't understand why you used the terms "SHE" and "Her", in your statement above. The Christian religion is composed of both males and females, as is the religion of Judaism.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 10:04 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

What percent of the US population acts in what is defined as a "Christian" manner and thus acts in a Christ-like manner?

The folks that act in a Christian manner tend to not live in urban America, where the rat race is the name of the game, in my opinion. So, unless one lived outside the big urban centers, one might not have met many practicing Christians. That's my experience.

Anyway, they are just followers of Christ, not Christ Phds. Give the masses a break. Where's your tzedukah?
Miller

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 10:30 am
@Foofie,
I shall now try to increase my level of "righteousness", so that peace may be had.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 01:38 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

As a man thinketh, so is he. The formal definition of 'Christian' is 'Christ like'. If a man doesn't resemble Christ in his thinking, he is not by definition, 'Christian'.

A man/woman may resemble Christ in his/her thinking, but thinking without any action is a worthless activity. Christ-like refers to "Christ-like activities".

Rituals for those who call themselves Christians and likewise rituals for individuals, who call themselves Jews are meaning less if they are not accompanied by heart-felt "acts of loving kindness".

The "heart" ( through acts of loving kindness) speaks louder than the mouth.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 02:23 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
El originally meant Saturn and Jahveh is the same basic word as Jove, i.e. Jupiter.

When Jesus says 'God', he is not talking about dwarf stars...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 02:27 am
For that matter, Joshua's destruction of the city Ai reads so similarly to the tale of the Mongol destruction of Liaoyang under Genghis Khan's general Jebe, that you almost only need change the names to get from the one to the other.

Easy enough to picture people doing something like that at the command of an idol representing a dwarf star; Jesus would never have ordered anything like that.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 02:04 pm
@Miller,
Quote:

A man/woman may resemble Christ in his/her thinking, but thinking without any action is a worthless activity. Christ-like refers to "Christ-like activities".
I can't imagine thinking like Christ without acting on it. OTOH, many act without thinking, or act with ulterior motives.

Actions alone don't tell us much. Only when we know the thoughts behind them can we judge.
0 Replies