How do I get the smell of smoke out of my clothes?

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 11:13 am
HELP! I just quit smoking and now I've noticed that everything reeks of cigarettes. I don't want to have to take every piece of clothes I own, lay it out, spray it, flip it over, spray it, hang to dry....etc......is there anything that can be done, or put in the laundry, to get this smell out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,910 • Replies: 14
No top replies

mac11

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 11:16 am
Hanging the clothes up outdoors might help. Used to work for me when I spent time in smoky bars in my youth.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:57 pm
It'll go away in a couple months. Just make sure to wash everything.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 05:06 pm
Some things will never lose the smell. Spraying doesn't really help get out embedded smoke stink.

When Setanta leaves smoke-infested clothes here, I wash them twice and then hang them outside for three or four days, wash them again, hang them out again, and then bring them in. That's worked on everything but one pair of jeans.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 10:29 pm
Though I've not tried it for smoke odors, I do know that Chlorine bleach is an excellent deodorizer for lots of odors. But you know that it can BLEACH things, so don't use too much!

I know most people don't read the label on the bleach bottle, but it is very informative. Also, check out the tips section on clorox.com.

General
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 11:06 pm
You must have a lot of clothes... that you don't just wash them or send them out to the cleaners. If it's just freshening up your space you're after; any savvy bachelor can tell you to simply hose down the A/C filter with pledge and crank it down a few degrees. Works like a charm.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:09 am
Re: How do I get the smell of smoke out of my clothes?
Kristie wrote:
HELP! I just quit smoking and now I've noticed that everything reeks of cigarettes. I don't want to have to take every piece of clothes I own, lay it out, spray it, flip it over, spray it, hang to dry....etc......is there anything that can be done, or put in the laundry, to get this smell out?

I have a sensitive nose, but have lived with smokers off and on over my life. These methods are how I clean when smoke bothers me. While airing things out will work eventually, to hasten it, wash what can be washed and add a little lysol or vinegar to the laundrysoap. That will get rid of the smell for clothes and linens. For furniture, vacuum it thoroughly, and take any pillows/cushions out in the sun to air, and spray all parts of the couch w/Febreze or the Walmart equivalent (Magnum Power is its name maybe?) Treat carpets and tapestries the same way(vacuum and spray.) Wash the paint and wood if it holds the smell and bothers you. I would use a little lysol, or vinegar, or windex solution(I make my own; if you want the recipe, I can make a gallon of the stuff for about $0.50.) Main thing you can do is leave windows and doors open and let as much fresh air in as possible. Nothing like a good breeze to blow out a bad smell.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:09 am
Thanks....I did find that Febreze makes a laundry odor eliminator but I can't find it anywhere...

Also, doesn't the vinegar in the laundry make the clothes smell like vinegar?

And yes, I am a woman and I do have lots of clothes! Laughing
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:14 am
Congrats on quitting the smokes Kristie & welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 05:17 pm
Kristie wrote:
Thanks....I did find that Febreze makes a laundry odor eliminator but I can't find it anywhere...

Also, doesn't the vinegar in the laundry make the clothes smell like vinegar?

And yes, I am a woman and I do have lots of clothes! Laughing

The amount of vinegar you will be using won't make the clothes smell. Plus, if you use distilled (white) vinegar, the odor is less, and it won't cause any accidental brown stains.

BTW, white vinegar is great for treating pet "accidents" if you get to the spots the same day they occur.

General Tsao
0 Replies

sparkleNshine694

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:24 pm
easy!...shopping spree!!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:19 am
Thanks to everyone for the advice! Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:26 am
Just FYI...I found a product made by ALL detergent brand and it is moist dryer sheets that you put in with clothes if you want to get smells out. Works!
0 Replies

jwalker15717

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 01:55 am
More info about the ALL detergent brand moist dryer sheets??
Question
Can you tell me anything else about the odor removing moist dryer sheets you wrote about? I've been searching for Febreze Laundry Odor Remover also. I used to be able to get it at Wal-mart, but it's been a while since I've seen it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:29 am
They are made by All and they are moist sheets you throw in the dryer with your clothes. Basically they say to put 6-8 articles of clothing in the dryer with the sheet for 20 minutes. I put about 10-12 and it worked fine. Also, it may not been good for silks and other fine fabrics like that and may cause spotting so consumer beware. I got them at Target so I am sure they have them at Wal-Mart. Good luck!
0 Replies