Oil Leaking from electrical cord

Loco

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 06:00 pm
I brought a used Rainbow vacuum cleaner from Ebay back in 2006. The seller shipped the product from the Canada area. After each use a small amount of green colored liquid (3-4 drops) oozes out of the male plug prongs. It is an oily type of substance that will stain any porous material it comes in contact with. Everyone I spoke with in the electrical field has never heard are seen anything like this and have no clue what would cause this reaction. At the moment I just carry a napkin to wipe off the liquid and wrap the plug in during storage to keep the fluid from getting on other materials.

This bluest-green colored juice does not short out plugs or harm the vacuum cleaners performance in anyway. Any suggestions or thoughts on what may be causing this to happen will be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,235 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Rali

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 09:51 am
@Loco,
Finally...someone else that has the same problem. As you mentioned, the green blue sludge does not short out the vac, nor the outlet. However it is messy and gets on fingers cloths etc. I would also appreciate anyone a) knowing what's going on here b) any long term potential problems resulting from this c) how to stop it
Loco

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 01:16 pm
@Rali,
Would not wish this type of issue on anyone; however, it makes me feel somewhat at ease in the sense I am not the only one on earth that has this exact problem. Everyone I explain this to has never heard of such a thing in the electrical world. It's like the blob entered my extension cord...
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 10:59 am
@Rali,
Quote:
Finally...someone else that has the same problem.
Rali you're joking aren't you

But if so, good'n
0 Replies

Cyberdragon

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 10:57 pm
The cord is rotten. This is a common problem with older wiring. There is liquid plastic added to the pvc insulation to turn it from rigid pvc (pipe pvc) into flexible pvc for wiring. If it's old or badly made it will rot and the liquid plastic oozes out everywhere. This chemicaly reacts with the copper conductor and forms nasty green plastic+copper goo. Since this is a cord that will be moved, definately replace it before it rots away and falls off.
0 Replies