He ran away with their kids...

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 04:00 pm
Guy cheats on his wife, she asks for a divorce. She kicks him out, and until he can get his act together, she says he will not be allowed to see their preteen children.
He goes to "say goodbye" to his kids, and ends up running away with them. No one knows where he took them, and their mother does not hear from any of them for the next three months.
Since the kids are still with one of their legal guardians, can the wife get help from the cops to find her children? If so, what can they do if/when they find the missing preteens? Can she take any legal action against her ex?

jespah

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 04:15 pm
@jadsiasun96,
Time for you to Google parental kidnapping.
jadsiasun96

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 04:33 pm
@jespah,
Basically, what it says is "depends on the case", "get a good lawyer", and "it's complicated to answer".
That's why I'm looking on here. I want to know what the correct answer would be in this case, and I don't need to bother a lawyer to figure it out...
roger

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 04:46 pm
@jadsiasun96,
It is impossible to 'bother' a lawyer. That's how they make their living.
jadsiasun96

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 04:51 pm
@roger,
By answering questions for curious writers?
Or by making people pay for help with cases?
roger

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 05:19 pm
@jadsiasun96,
Nobody works for free. All they have to sell is their time, so go ahead and consult with one. It's exactly the same as asking a machinist to make a part for you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 07:08 pm
@jadsiasun96,
Given the jurisdictional variables you need to get in touch with someone in the jurisdiction that you've set the story in.

Ever notice all the credits/thanks/'dedications authors give? this is one of the situations where you have to get the information from the right professional.
jadsiasun96

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 10:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Okay, thank you. Smile
0 Replies