The coolest restaurant in San Francisco?

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 11:55 am
My sister and her husband and a 3 year old son are moving to San Francisco this August. Or rather, to Berkeley, but I assume it is nearby. As it happens, they are moving there on the day of her birthday and their fifth wedding anniversary! I want to get them a fat gift card to a great restaurant where they can celebrate. And while it needs to have ambience and great food, allow for a romantic dinner, it should also take a three year old (as I don't suspect they will have a sitter after just a few days there yet). The thing is that Juraj, the husband, is a Slovak through and through - never been in the States before and thus is not accustomed to cuisines that are considered 'exotic' back at home - that rules out Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Ethiopian (though he might actually like that, it involves meat and that spongy bread, but I am not sure about the spices and how he would like them). I am also not sure about seafood, although I think they both like it.
Sooo, I am aiming for something 'safe' - French, Italian, American perhaps. With class, great atmosphere (to knock their socks off) and child-friendly. I've been to SF twice briefly, but am clueless. There are tons and tons of restaurants listed, but I'd rather rely on a personal recommendation. Anyone? I will be the gratefullest ever!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,112 • Replies: 18
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 11:59 am
This is not an answer to your question -- I've never had any money when I've been in San Francisco -- but sometime when you're out there to visit them, go to the German Cook. (LINK)

(the Tenderloin neighborhood was never as bad as folks make it out to be)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 12:05 pm
Niebaum Coppola (owned by Francis Ford).

Several of us A2Kers went there while attending our San Francisco Gathering last April.

Go here for my description and a photo.

Here's a link from another reviewer.

The pizza was outstanding. The atmosphere is even better. A small place with a lot of panache and a little elegance (the kids will be just fine).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 12:13 pm
Well, a no-brainer for me, especially if they are in Berkeley. Chez Panisse, or the more casual Chez Panisse cafe. http://www.chezpanisse.com/
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:28 pm
They both look great, although I wasn't able to find photos of the interior on their websites for either. Chez Panisse looks scrumptious, but I don't know what they would do with a three year old - I would have to go for the upstairs (still not sure if that's doable) - is that equally good? The web says that the downtairs is a fixed menu for 2 people, so the kid would have to wait outside or hide under the table... I like the style though, that's what I'm aiming for, perhaps a bit more relaxed. I want to collect a dozen of suggestions, research them and then I can decide. Thanks PDiddie and cav, keep em coming.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:39 pm
dag, there is a picture of us at NC's (where you can see the inside of the restaurant) at this link in the A2K Gallery.

It's kind of a long rectangular shaped dining room. Very eclectic.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:40 pm
Dag, I think the upstairs is more casual, more kid friendly. Either way, given that you have to book months in advance, I'm sure they could make concessions for the kiddie. They wouldn't be a world-class resto if they couldn't.

Now this is hip and fancy, and quite the rage:

http://www.farallonrestaurant.com/

And from the original source that bred that place:

http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/greatchefs/profiles/tower.html

Note the connection with Chez Panisse. I've been to Stars, when I was a kid, it was great.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:33 am
Wow, those are all awesome! i can't decide! Stars seems to be more or less reasonable, i suspect if I'd give them a gift certificate for $120, it should take care of the three of them, since one is just half a person. no? the review says dinner is between 40-50$ including tip and drink... then again, can't find a link to their web where i could buy a certificate. I adore Farallon (kept it open to listen to the sea waves that they have as a background on their web) - although it scares me a little. I sppose I'll give them a call and ask what they think of three year olds and what would they recommend. But I think I'll just go with Chez Panisse Cafe... Do you have any preference between these three, cav? They all look fantastic.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:42 am
They're all good, dag. The Chez Panisse Cafe is probably the most casual, family-oriented choice in terms of food and price. They can always go back to the downstairs place another time for the gastro blowout experience. Farallon is cool, isn't it?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:40 am
Experience France in San Francisco
One of my favorite French Restaurants anywhere is CAFE JACQUELINE.
"This cute, ultra-romantic restaurant is practically a one-woman show. From the time she opens the doors until she locks them at night Jacqueline Margulis whips up souffle after souffle at her North Beach restaurant. In fact, souffles are about the only thing you can get here, save for a few salads and soups. Everything is made by hand, so there can be lulls between courses, but the candlelit country-French ambience is so atmos-pheric and the product so ethereal that the time floats away.
Cuisine: French (souffles)
Specialities: Gruyere cheese souffle, shiitake souffle; Grand Marnier souffle, chocolate souffle.
Seats: 24
Prices: $25-$50 (serves 2-4)
Noise:
Parking: Street, often difficult
Vitals: 1454 Grant Ave. (between Union and Green), San Francisco; (415) 981-5565. Dinner Wednesday-Sunday. Beer and wine. Reservations and credit cards accepted."

---BBB
----------------------------------------------------------------

Experience France in San Francisco
From Martha Bakerjian,
Your Guide to San Francisco.

French cafes, restaurants, bread, language classes, books, and more
Looking for some French food and culture without going to France? There are many restaurants in San Francisco where you can feel like you're in France, enjoy great French food and wine, and even practice your French with the waitstaff.

French food is very popular in San Francisco. There is a French area just outside the Chinatown gate, but more French restaurants are springing up all over the city.

The heart of French cafes and culture in San Francisco's French neighborhood is the Cafe de la Presse, at the corner of Bush and Grant. Here you can enjoy French pastries and coffee indoors or at sidewalk tables, buy French magazines and books, or hang out with French people or other Francophiles.

Just around the corner on Bush Street is the Cafe de la Presse's restaurant where you can enjoy a French lunch or dinner.

They sometimes have live music as well. Next door is Le Central, an old San Francisco authentic French restaurant that's slightly more formal. You might even see Willie Brown, San Francisco's mayor, having lunch there.

Continue down Bush Street and turn right at the next corner, Claude Alley. Here you will find the Cafe Claude, one of our favorites for French food and Parisian bistro atmosphere. Their furnishings even come from a retired Parisian cafe. Most of the waitstaff is French so its a good chance to practice your French! The food is great and reasonably priced as are the French wines. You can enjoy a bistro lunch, a complete dinner, or just a cheese plate with some pate and a glass of wine. On nice days you can sit at outdoor tables in the alley and there is live jazz on Friday and Saturday evenings. They even have a great "Bar Zinc".

Back on Bush Street, continue to Belden Place on your left. Belden Place has several restaurants with outdoor seating in the alley. For good French food and ambiance, head for Cafe Bastille. They serve lunch and dinner and you can usually get a large serving of moules (mussels) like you would get in France. They also have live music on some nights.

San Francisco offers a variety of French experiences. You can shop for fresh bread at an authentic boulangerie, eat French-style truffles, take French lessons, watch a movie, buy French books or magazines, take in some cultural events, or just practice your French while enjoying a French-style bistro or cafe.

If you're interested in language classes, cultural events, movies, or just want some more great French food and ambiance, head the other way on Bush to the Alliance Francaise, at 1345 Bush Street (between Larkin and Polk). Their Curbside Bistro, a cozy underground cafe, is another of our favorites. Here you will find authentic bistro food, French wines and desserts, and great French bistro ambiance in an intimate dining area. You can watch as the chef prepares your food and practice your French here, too.

At the Alliance, you can read French newspapers and magazines and get any French information you need. And now they even offer bi-lingual foot massage workshops, so you can practice your French while learning foot massage!

The European Book Company, at 925 Larkin Street, is a good place to buy books in French, French language-learning books and CDs, French guidebooks, and French magazines. They have a small selection in other languages, too.

A relatively new arrival on the San Francisco French scene is the boulangeries and restaurants owned by Pascal Rigo. You'll feel like you're shopping in France if you go to either of his bakeries, the Boulangerie on Pine Street near Fillmore or the Boulangerie de Polk, where you can also eat a light breakfast or lunch. The breads and pastries are outstanding and you can probably practice speaking French at either of these shops, too. He has also opened three restaurants, two focusing on " small plates " from France and one specializing in galettes (buckwheat crepes). Chez Nous is at 1911 Fillmore Street, Galette is at 2043 Fillmore, and Le Petit Robert is at 2300 Polk Street, next door to the Boulangerie.

And for the ultimate French indulgence, XOX Truffles makes delicious truffles that are "handmade in the USA, created with a French attitude". You can buy them (or get one free with your coffee) at Truffles Cafe at 754 Columbus Avenue.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 11:22 am
Olivetti's in Oakland, chef Paul Bertolli's place, is very very good, but I think they might be better advised to not bring the three year old there, so I agree on Cafe Panisse.

I've been to Cafe Jacqueline and it was nice, I liked it too.

And I agree with PDiddie on Niebaum Coppola; that sure was a nice place to while away part of an afternoon with pals.. and the pizza is like that of some of my favorite places in italy.

But they are going to be busy with their move, and C. Panisse upstairs seems most practical to me, assuming they will accommodate a three year old.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 11:42 am
In my final year of chefs school, we had the pleasure of having Paul Bertolli spend a week with us as guest celebrity chef-instructor.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:10 pm
I DID IT! I just bought the gift certificate to the Chez Panisse - they can use it both upstairs or downstairs - if they find a sitter and will want a romantic dinner. Plus it is near where they will live. But now I want to go and eat at all of those places! First I need a sponsor, I think. Any takers?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 07:31 pm
Nemmee. I haven't been to Chez Panisse myself. Much less the French Laundry. But I have been to Olivetti, and did enjoy the experience. Plus I think he is a really interesting fellow... he has singlehandedly gotten a production of balsamic vinegar happening... in California, not Modena, and very smartly too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 07:44 pm
Cav, back when we were arranging the a2k meet in SF you disappeared and yes, that was when you got very ill. I have a friend there who at the time suggested you might cook at their house and she would pay the freight, but no, it didn't include flight or hotel. We didn't discuss that, exactly, but I know she thought you might be there anyway. I can't remember if I pm'd you, I think maybe not, as you were following the thread for the short while that this happened, or I thought you were.

It would have put a crick in the meeting's neck, as they live across the bay, and I am sure they would have wanted to invite their own friends, and then there was us... whatever number we were, I think ten people.

Still, I like it in concept, as something like that could be controlled to be fairly low key, and we did as individuals spend some money eating out on the a2k sf meet. I think we ended up liking Solea best...

I brought all this up since those folks are the ones who took me to Olivetti.

Tricky, as planning is messy enough for a2k gatherings without commitments of this sort. Not sure oil and water mix that well anyway. Let's just say that it is a conceptual pleasure to think about.

Pdid and Pdidwife need to meet me in SF sometime to go to that Vietnamese restaurant...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 08:44 am
ossobuco wrote:
Pdid and Pdidwife need to meet me in SF sometime to go to that Vietnamese restaurant...

The Slanted Door, josso.

You're on.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:10 am
Travelling to SF this Tue. Anyone around? I'll be there, well, in Oakland rather, until Sunday.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 11:21 am
Oakland, that means you could go to Olivetti...

OK, ok, I'll be quiet.

Alas, I won't be in the Bay area for a while. Would enjoy meeting you, dag.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:56 pm
;-) I will be sure to look at that Olivetti after all the praise!
0 Replies