"OutFoxed": How Fox News Is Destroying American Journalism

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:53 am
Looks like timber is standing nikked by himself. Must be a great feeling to be a repub; they're never wrong on anything - or at least never admits it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:54 am
timberlandko wrote:
O'Reilly is not a newscaster, nor are Hannity, Colmes, Rivera, or Susteren. They're commentators, opinion mongers, performers, entertainers, as are Al Franken and Andy Rooney. Of course, I understand that's a difficult distinction for Democrats to grasp.

Apparently it's difficult for everyone to grasp, if you believe the stats that outfoxed listed on who believes what bogus news.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:57 am
Dunno why I bother ... its like tryin' to explain cosmic string theory to a geranium sometimes. Anyhow, here goes:
the kickster wrote:
Fox is not news then.

Neither stated nor implied; a total mischaracterization of the comment referenced; the clear intent and implication of the subject comment was that there is a differentiation between news and commentary, and that the individuals mentioned as example were commentators, not newscasters, both which categories comprise the talking heads of all news outlets. The folks I mentioned are entertainers, not informers, and specifically are celebrities for their entertainment value.

Quote:
But they say they are,
FOX doesn't say the folks mentioned are newscasters anymore than HBO claims Dennis Miller is a newscaster. It is the likes of you, kickycan, who clain they're newscasters.
Quote:
and they say they are the "fair and balanced" news station.

Fair and balanced aside, they are not balanced to the Left. Do you take exception to ABC's arguably dubious claim it is "America's Favorite Network" or to NBC's dubbing itself "Must See TV"', or the CBS claim "Its all here" or how about HBO's "Its Not TV, its HBO"? About the only unarguable network slogan I can think of off hand is the one made famous by James Earl Jones' majestically stentorian proclamation "THIS ... is CNN".
Quote:
That's called lying, but I understand that's a difficult distinction for republican apologists to grasp

Thanks for making my point so concisely.

God, I love the smell of hypocrites roasting Mr. Green
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:02 am
Quote, "God, I love the smell hypocrites roasting" That's the problem with you conservatives. You depend too much from god - or at least the president does.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:03 am
Feeling kind of trapped, are you? Sqirmming a bit too much there, timber.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:09 am
Might look to you like squirming, c.i. , but it feels more like spikin' the gameball to me :wink:

Oh, BTW, I did get a kick outta your "looks like an elephant" crack earlier ... that was funny. Laughing
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:10 am
Quote:
The Independent Media Institute ( IMI), parent organization of AlterNet, filed a legal challenge with the U.S. Trademark Office that seeks to strip Fox of its "Fair and Balanced" trademark registration on the grounds that it was "merely descriptive" (making it ineligible for trademark registration) as well as "false and misleading." AlterNet (which is a project of the Independent Media Institute, a nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening and supporting independent journalism) filed its challenge with the U.S. Trademark Office on December 23, 2003, just under the wire - only hours before the clock was scheduled to run out on Fox's "contestability period," which is the legally mandated 5-year window during which a trademark registration can be challenged. After that period the right to use the trademark becomes "incontestable" and virtually invulnerable, and its holder is entitled to prevent anyone else from using it, under penalty of legal prosecution, virtually forever, and regardless of whether the trademark was legitimately registered or not. Now, for the first time, AlterNet is making that legal challenge public. We are also joining MoveOn.org in launching an international campaign to confront Fox News in its blatant efforts to use the airwaves for political gain and to promote right-wing politics. This weekend, MoveOn.org sponsored more than 2,700 house parties to view "Outfoxed," Greenwald's documentary, and included dialogue with Greenwald and MoveOn.org's leadership and this writer to announce our legal challenge to Fox.

For More
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:10 am
timberlandko wrote:
Might look to you like squirming, c.i. , but it feels more like spikin' the gameball to me :wink:

Of course and anyone can feel like a boxing champ when they knock out the wind!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:17 am
Here's a collection someone made of erroneous news reporting and commentary aired by Fox.

http://list.haifa.ac.il/pipermail/alef/2003-June/001346.html
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:32 am
Anybody recall "60 Minutes" going to extraordinary, and eventually quite embarrassing to themselves, lengths to make it appear a particulat brand of pickup truck was more prone to blowing up in a crash than were others?
Pot-Kettle-Black.

And here's one from an article quoted by redheat, if I recall, that I really got a kick out of:
Quote:
blatant efforts to use the airwaves for political gain and to promote right-wing politics ...

So its OK if Air America Radio does Left Wing Politics while claiming to offer balance and objectivity. I see.

Al Franken said
Quote:
"My first priority is to get sued by a right wing jerk in order to generate interest in my new show, The O¹'Franken Factor," Franken said. Our hope is to do drug-free talk radio, although I understand it¹s never been done.

"Quite simply, my plan is to alter the political landscape, drive this radical right-wing president from office and stand as a beacon for ordinary Americans who work hard and play by the rules. Short of that, I'd just like to get on in Albany," added Franken.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:44 am
timberlandko wrote:

This total disregard for what's actually happening reminds me of Bush on the battleship with the "Mission Accomplished" banner behind him. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:50 am
kickycan, Seems they're made up from the same cloth; bland and wrong.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:53 am
Fox "News" = Air America: Check.

Fox "News" = 60 Minutes: Really?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:54 am
The whistling in the dark keeps getting louder and louder.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:55 am
(That said, can we skip the ad homs?)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
timberlandko wrote:
Kinda amusing too is that FOX has generated as much alarm in some quarters as it has. While it is the cable news leader...

timberlandko wrote:
O'Reilly is not a newscaster, nor are Hannity, Colmes, Rivera, or Susteren. They're commentators, opinion mongers, performers, entertainers...

So it's a cable news leader, but it's newscasters are not newscasters. Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:13 am
Add up all the other cable news networks together and FOX is in proper perspective. About 30% of the total cable news audience. Ring a bell?

Case in point. I can't link to it because you have to be a Variety subscriber but I going to do a Google search in the next few days to find the item elsewhere.

"Air America" may become a cable news channel.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:48 am
kickycan wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Kinda amusing too is that FOX has generated as much alarm in some quarters as it has. While it is the cable news leader...

timberlandko wrote:
O'Reilly is not a newscaster, nor are Hannity, Colmes, Rivera, or Susteren. They're commentators, opinion mongers, performers, entertainers...

So it's a cable news leader, but it's newscasters are not newscasters. Laughing

Thanks for doing the lifting on that one, kicky. That combo seemed interesting to me as well. It's a cable news provider, without newscasters. o.k.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:34 pm
No problem, ehbeth.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 03:30 pm
While you kids are busy pattin'one another on the back, I'd like to once again point out that just as do other news channels, FOX has newscasters, and weathercasters, and sportscasters - at least I think they have sportscasters and weathercasters - the dark haired short guy in the mornings seems to be more or less the one who usually does the sports, and the taller, lighter haired guy seems to do the weather most often), and FOX has opinionators. Perhaps some of the problem lies in that for the most part, the newscasters (I'm not enough of a FOX watcher to be able to name 'em ... there are a couple - three or so females and a guy or two who seem to do nothing but headlines ... little or no commentary or opinion ... or even much extemporaneous chatter, that I've noticed) don't do much more than deliver the the few minutes of news each hour, and mebbe introduce a feature piece or two from a field correspondent.

I'm not followin' where LW is goin' with the point he's tryin' to make; so what if FOX is the news giant on cable? The cable market share, let alone FOX's potion of it, is orders of magnitude smaller than The Big 3 + PBS, and if you toss local independents into the mix, which by rights yiou should, since they're very much serving the market including the news viewer, FOX for all its supposed clout and influemce reaches a whole bunch fewer folks than would seem to warrant the furor. To put a bit of perspective on it, here are last week's top 15 basic cable shows - note carefully where FOX places in the list:

Quote:

Ratings for Basic Cable Networks

Rankings for the top 15 programs on basic cable networks as compiled by Nielsen Media Research for the week of July 5-11. Each ratings point represents 1,084,000 households. Day and start time (EDT) are in parentheses.

1. ``The Pilot, Parts One and Two'' (Sunday, 9 p.m.), USA, 4.6, 4.99 million homes.

2. ``Law & Order'' (Monday, 9 p.m.), TNT, 3.2, 3.48 million homes.

3. ``WWE Raw Zone'' (Monday, 10 p.m.), Spike, 3.1, 3.37 million homes.

4. ``Law & Order'' (Tuesday, 9 p.m.), TNT, 3.1, 3.34 million homes.

5. ``Monk'' (Friday, 10 p.m.), USA, 3.0, 3.23 million homes.

6. ``WWE Raw'' (Monday, 9 p.m.), Spike, 2.7, 2.95 million homes.

7. ``Law & Order'' (Monday, 8 p.m.), TNT, 2.6, 2.85 million homes.

8. ``Law & Order: SVU'' (Sunday, 8 p.m.), USA, 2.6, 2.82 million homes.

9. ``Law & Order'' (Monday, 10 p.m.), TNT, 2.6, 2.8 million homes.

10. ``Law & Order: SVU'' (Sunday, 11 p.m.), USA, 2.6, 2.77 million homes.

11. ``Fairly Odd Parents'' (Sunday, 10 a.m.), Nickelodeon, 2.5, 2.67 million homes.

12. ``Law & Order'' (Tuesday, 8 p.m.), TNT, 2.4, 2.65 million homes.

13. ``Fairly Odd Parents'' (Sunday, 10:30 a.m.), Nickelodeon, 2.4, 2.59 million homes.

14. ``Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica'' (Wednesday, 10 p.m.), MTV, 2.4, 2.58 million homes.

15. ``SpongeBob SquarePants'' (Sunday, 9:30 a.m.), Nickelodeon, 2.4, 2.57 million homes.

07/15/04 18:48

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

What? You didn't see FOX in the list? Its gotta be there, its so huge ... here, lets look again ... oops, you're right; FOX isn't there. But Nick and Jessica made the cut, and so did SpongeBob Squarepants.

Then there is that recent Pew Research study which shows an overall pro-Kerry/anti-Bush slant clearly evidenced by The Media:

Quote:
Paint by Numbers
How Repeated Reportage Colors Perceptions
By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 12, 2004; Page C01

The good news for President Bush is that he has dominated media coverage in recent months, a new study says.

The bad news is that much of the reporting has focused on the president's character -- and has been negative by more than a 3-to-1 margin.

The bad news for John Kerry is that the media assessments of his character have been negative by a margin of more than 5 to 1. The good news is he's been so overshadowed that there haven't been that many stories about him.

In an era when both Republicans and Democrats increasingly view the media with distrust, the findings could spark a renewed debate on biased coverage in the final months of a tight campaign. But there's no question, based on an accompanying poll, that the press is having an impact on the 2004 election. The more people read and watch, the study says, the more likely they are to echo the themes emphasized by journalists.

The report by the Project for Excellence in Journalism, Pew Research Center and University of Missouri journalism school looked at newspaper, broadcast and cable coverage from late March through early June. Researchers found that coverage often revolved around news events, such as the struggle in Iraq, and not campaign activities.

The most prevalent message about Bush, says the study, is that he is "stubborn and arrogant." Second most prevalent: Bush "lacks credibility." Third: The president is a "strong and decisive leader." Of all the comments about character, 56 percent were negative toward Bush, and 16 percent positive.

The most commonly reported theme about Kerry: he "flip-flops" on issues. Second: He's "very liberal." Third: "A tough guy who won't back down from a fight."

Of all the characterizations, 23 percent were negative toward Kerry, and 4 percent positive.

And where are these judgments coming from? In many cases, journalists themselves. The assessments of Bush's arrogance came from reporters more often than the Kerry campaign (46 to 28 percent), and at about the same rate on credibility, the study found.

For example, CBS's John Roberts reported in April: "At stake tonight, the president's credibility, chipped away at in recent weeks by the twin issues of Iraq and the 9/11 investigation."

"The fact that reporters feel pretty free to just infer things, or interpret from other people's statements, makes it easier for the campaigns to spin," says Tom Rosenstiel, the project's director. Campaign strategists "can say these things, even anonymously, and reporters will put it in their own words."

Negative characterizations of the Massachusetts senator were driven far more often by GOP attacks than journalists themselves, such as NBC's Tim Russert saying in April: "And the Republicans pounding away on the flip-flops of John Kerry, day after day."

Possible explanations, according to Rosenstiel: The Bush camp is more aggressive in going after Kerry, or journalists are biased in the Democrat's favor.

The negative reporting seems to have had a limited impact on Bush. According to the poll, 53 percent see him as tough and 48 percent as strong and decisive -- followed by 44 percent who say he's stubborn, 33 percent who say he twists the facts and 27 percent who call him a wealthy elitist.

The image of Kerry is less distinct but more negative: 36 percent say he flip-flops, 28 percent say he twists the facts and 20 percent call him a wealthy elitist -- followed by 18 percent who say Kerry is strong and decisive and 15 percent who call him tough.

A blizzard of ads has had relatively little impact on the public, despite the two campaigns' combined spending of $150 million, the project found. But the more ads viewers see, the more likely they are to say that Kerry flip-flops, a constant theme of the Bush ad blitz.

The researchers dutifully crunched the numbers on late-night political jokes. Jay Leno was the "least edgy," although the only one to zing Kerry as an elitist. David Letterman was "more pointed" and "probably harder on the president." Jon Stewart was the most likely to jab the administration as a whole, especially over Iraq, but his "digs at Kerry are less frequent."

Pot-kettle-black, Tempest-in-a-teapot ... can you say "NON ISSUE", kids? No, I don't suppose you want to.

An amusing conjecture I heard on the radio a few minutes ago, from a caller to a stocks-and-other-financial news talk program, posed the possibility the publicity granted to FOX as a result of the hitpiece, its promotion, and the developing brouhahah well could in fact boost market awareness and result in viewer pickup for FOX. The host and his analyst guests all agreed that would be not unlikely.
0 Replies