"OutFoxed": How Fox News Is Destroying American Journalism

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 09:02 pm
Ooops, not a live interview - it was started just around 9:30, after the nationaly choreographed viewing of outfoxed.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:04 pm
Wow, that Glick thing was really interesting. Thanks for posting that, littlek.

That's a real good debate technique that O'Reilly has going there. When you don't have the upper hand, just shout at the guy and tell him to shut up. Fair and balanced. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:13 pm
That's what timber tries to do on A2K.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:15 pm
You're welcome.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:16 pm
Cic - our timber?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:28 pm
littlek, timber continues to give us a lecture on how Fox is a centrist news organization, but EVERYTHING proves him wrong. See my post above where it show Murdock hires conservative news people. If that doesn't prove my point, nothing will.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:32 pm
timber uses fancy words and tries to back his opinion how Fox is fair in its reporting with university investigations. Me; I'm a simple kind of guy that calls what I see; if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, I usually determine it's a duck.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:44 pm
Outfoxed addressed that hiring of conservatives issue.

But, one thing stands, in my opinion, that makes it blatantly obvious that Fox is not unbiased and that's the whole "(# of days) until Bush is re-elected!" thing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:59 pm
Quote:
To begin to get an idea of the span of Murdoch's reach, here is a simple listing of his current holdings:

Adalaide News, Australia
News America Publishing, Inc.
Times Newspaper Holdings, vice president
Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corp, co-owner and chairperson
William Collins PLC, Scottland
News Corp, Ltd., Australia
Fox Entertainment Group, CEO
British Sky Broadcasting, UK, chairman (the BBC's top competitor)
City Post Publishing Corp, chairperson
Cruden Investments, co-owner
News Ltd, Group and Assoc. Companies, Austrailia
Bemrose Publishing, owner
Bay Books, owner
United Technologies, director

And a few other companies. Each of these companies has many holdings within its overall umbrella. So, for example, media outlets controlled by this one Australian-born political activist include:

Fox Broadcasting Co. (Fox News, Fox Network, Fox Family, Fox Sports)
Twentieth Century-Fox TV
Fox Filmed Entertainment movie studio
over twenty Fox-owned TV stations
FX Cable TV Network
An additional 20+ regional sports outlets
Channel 10 in Sydney, Australia
Channel 10 in Melbourne, Australia
News Group Productions and Skyband in the US
Satellite Television PLC in England
BSkyB, UK (cable and satellite station that reaches all of Britain)
Star TV, Asia
JSkyB, Japan
SkyLatin America, Telepiu
London Weekend Television (part-owner)

But wait, let's not leave out at least a partial list of his newspaper holdings, just so you know what his reach and control is even on that level:

New York Post
Village Voice (yep, that's him, too)
Boston Herald
Chicago Sun-Times (some pretty big ones all over the country, huh?)
San Antonio Express-News (where it all began for him in the US in 1973, sold to Hearst Corp. in the 1990's)
Times, Sunday Times (and associated publications) in London, England
The News Of The World And Today, UK
Australian, Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph, Daily Mirror, Sunday Sun, News and Sunday Mail, and Sunday Times in Australia

He also owns TV Guide, TV week, and the Star Trader, among other magazines.

Oh yeah, he owns a network in Italy as well - Sky Italia

The above listings are in no way complete. We left out things like The Sun, a UK tabloid with a circulation of over 4,000,000.

Yes, he dominates the book presses, too. HarperCollins operates in the US, UK, Australia, and Canada, among other places.

Just for kicks, Murdoch even owns the National Geographic channel, both the US and Worldwide versions.

Oh yeah - again - he also owns DirectTV. You know, the satellite TV that is taking over what used to be the cable TV market and controls what stations are available in millions of American homes.

He owns a UK record company called Mushroom Records, the National Rugby League in Australia, and - oh yeah part 4 or 5 I guess - "the leading OOH advertising company in Emerging Europe," a News Corp subsidiary called News Outdoor

And let's not forget The Weekly Standard, a ridiculous right-wing US magazine. Yep, that's him, too.

So, when you all are surfing the channels to get a variety of coverage, be aware that he owns most of it. I think Outfoxed said he owned 100 cable channels.

article
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 05:01 am
Thanks for the coverage, Lil Kay, i'm glad you've posted all of this.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 06:43 am
Damn, little k - that Glick thing - thats just outrageous.

I mean, not the interrupting him all the time by itself, even - if its a raucous kind of talkshow, OK, I wont watch it, but whatever.

But here we have the son of a 9/11 victim, apparently being invited to the show - yet when he actually tries to explain that he himself is against the war, this guy keeps hammering him on the head with "your father would be ashamed of you"! What the f***?! Thats simply disgusting.

OK, and this is the O'Reilly that Sofia's brought up as an example of someone who is not a conservative on Fox - an equal-opportunity criticizer and so on? So does he pull this stuff with Republicans too, tell 'em that their murdered father would be ashamed of them for what they're trying to say, then telling them to shut up every time they try to say it and then having them thrown out by security?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 06:46 am
Just a week or so after Fox News blamed Kerry of being a terrible person for not apologizing on behalf of Whoopi Goldberg regarding her hokes about Bush, Fox News turns around and insults Democrats for not understanding the Arnold was only joking. Apparently, when someone else makes an insult, a person is responsible, but when you make one on your own, you are not. At least, according to Fox News.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:14 am
If someone tried to shut me up by telling me that my dead mum would be ashamed of me for saying what I was, I'd slap him in the face - on the air or not. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:09 am
O'Reilly is not a newscaster, nor are Hannity, Colmes, Rivera, or Susteren. They're commentators, opinion mongers, performers, entertainers, as are Al Franken and Andy Rooney. Of course, I understand that's a difficult distinction for Democrats to grasp.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:11 am
I don't like when the newscasters of Fox News interject personal opinions like the ones I cited in their daily headlines, though.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:24 am
And Christianne Amanpor, Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, and Katie Couric don't interject personal commentary? Get real. You just don't like the commentary, not the fact commentary is present.

Kinda amusing too is that FOX has generated as much alarm in some quarters as it has. While it is the cable news leader, the fact remains that on its best viewing days it pulls perhaps 3 percent of the overall viewing market, while among them, the broadcast Big 3 split some 35 to 37% of the viewing market as a running average. Interesting too, though wholly unrelated to FOX, is that over the past 10 years, the overall market share of the Broadcast Big 3 has slipped by nearly half.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:25 am
timber, what does that have to do with 'democrats'? i am not one, i am a foreigner, and I don't get the line between reporting and commentary on Fox either. Know why? Because there isn't one. There isn't a reporter that wouldn't throw in commentary as well. I saw Outfoxed yesterday, I also watched Fox News during the war in Iraq for months, and let me tell you one thing. I thought the media in Eastern Europe were biased and unprofessional - depending on where the money is coming from. Well, they would pale in comparison with Fox. I would have no problem with it if they presented themselves as a conservative venue, but come on, 'fair and balanced' reporting label is just laughable when we talk about Fox. It's not journalism, it's propaganda.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:25 am
timberlandko wrote:
O'Reilly is not a newscaster, nor are Hannity, Colmes, Rivera, or Susteren. They're commentators, opinion mongers, performers, entertainers, as are Al Franken and Andy Rooney. Of course, I understand that's a difficult distinction for Democrats to grasp.

So Fox is not news then. But they say they are, and they say they are the "fair and balanced" news station. That's called lying, but I understand that's a difficult distinction for republican apologists to grasp. Smile
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:33 am
timberlandko wrote:

True they are NOT journalist but they DO proclaim to be. Yes they ARE commentators although they are entertainers as well.

Al Franken is a comedian/commentator

Rooney is a journalist - why Rooney anyway?

As for the conservatives they DO pretend to be journalist. Sustern is a commentator, not a journalist. You seem to be confusing the two.

Some good Fox reporting shown here:

Quote:
From the July 15 edition of FOX News Channel's FOX & Friends:

KILMEADE: But Teresa, Teresa Kerry, is also a critic of the president, saying she wouldn't have gone to war the way the president had gone to war and also said that John Edwards is very beautiful and John Kerry, her husband, is very smart. Thanks. What is that? Oh my goodness. That's the -- that's the person introducing me? -- he, he's not a funny Irishman. He's not very good looking, he's smart. There hasn't been a good series of introductions for this family. Am I the only one embarrassed here?

HILL: You keep on mentioning though --

KILMEADE: I'm worried about these two.

Source

Quote:
From the July 15 edition of FOX News Channel's Special Report with Brit Hume:

ANGLE: Let me ask you first, in your view was the president right or wrong to pass an opportunity to speak?

WOODSON: He was absolutely correct in passing this up opportunity.

[...]

WOODSON: And his [chairman of the board of the NAACP, Julian Bond] vilification of the president really does a disservice to the organization, forgetting that 83 percent of blacks no longer look to the NAACP for leadership. And I think that ...

ANGLE: Now where does that figure come?

WOODSON: Well, there are some figures -- there are some surveys done when the black community was asked.

Media Matters for America found no evidence of such a poll. A Washington Post poll from October 16, 1996, found that "more than eight in 10 blacks ... said they felt there is a shortage of black leaders who effectively articulate issues that are important to most African Americans" but did not name the NAACP specifically.

On the other hand, polls show that black Americans hold the NAACP in high esteem. For example, a 2003 poll by Black America's Political Action Committee found that 83 percent of African American registered voters view the organization favorably, compared with only 8 percent who view it unfavorably. The same poll also showed that NAACP president and CEO Kweisi Mfume is among black America's most respected leaders: 44 percent of respondents view him favorably, compared with only 6 percent who view him unfavorably.

Media Matters for America invites Woodson to direct us to the poll he cited, in case we missed it.

Also O'Reilly EDITS his reports, and re-records them! So yes I agree he is an entertainer but chances are you ask any of his listerners and they would describe him as a legtimate news anchorman.

Even Brit Hume who is supposdly a "news anchorman" lies, the entire Fox News team could all be catgorized as "entertainers' NONE of them should be referring to themselves as anything but.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:48 am
timberlandko wrote:
And Christianne Amanpor, Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, and Katie Couric don't interject personal commentary? Get real. You just don't like the commentary, not the fact commentary is present.

I was referring more to the insults that are used, not the general use of commentary, which is why I did not use a comma to break up the sentence.
0 Replies