Hidden and creepy stuff in movies- I love this crap!

adt4m

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 05:36 am
You know, like the supposed suicide in Wizard of Oz or the supposed ghost in Three Men and a Baby- both proved wrong w/ logical answers. Also, the proved and unproved sex stuff in Disney films. Know any other cool ones?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 14,387 • Replies: 30
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:33 am
So, what was the suicide in the Wizard of Oz chalked up to be in reality?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 11:11 am
It's supposed to be just a stage hand.

For thread-visitors unfamiliar with these, in THE WIZARD OF OZ, just after the wicked witch first threatens the scarecrow with fire, as the good guys traipse off down the yellow brick road, there is supposed to be a hanged man visible thru the trees.

In THREE MEN AND A BABY as the camera does a quick pan, there is a small boy visible in the corner of the apartment, supposedly a ghost. He wasn't a ghost- was the son of one of the crew- the mistake wasn't caught in editing.

I don't know of any other alleged scary bloopers in movies, but there's a great one in the 1970's song "Love Rollercoaster" by the Ohio Players. (I was a DJ when this rumor was big) Almost halfway through the song, there is a muffled blood-curdling scream. It is really there-listen to the song if you can find a copy (lousy song except for the scream). Allegedly, a woman was murdered in the next studio while the band was recording. Truth is, it was one of the band members' girlfriends, who had been in the studio and got 'enthused' by the music and cried out extemporaneously.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 11:22 am
Disney's Fantasia was censored. The Fauns in the Beethovan pastoral sequence originally had small exposed breasts with nipples. Disney was made to cover them with garlands of flowers.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 11:43 am
"It's supposed to be just a stage hand" doing what exactly? Swinging like a monkey?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:04 pm
However, in "The Night on Bald Mountain" sequence in "Fantasia", Disney got away with bare breasted demons flying at the screen (very quick glimpses). I referred to it in art school as "lude Disney."

See "The Silence of the Lambs" more than once and the details on such scenes as the serial killer's home become even more fascinating and creepy.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:09 pm
This website says the WOfO suicide is a bird on the set spreading its wings. This includes the relevant clip- look just above the scarecrow's head.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/ozsuicid.htm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:12 pm
Ah, that could work.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 12:21 pm
A while back I looked into something that wasn't exactly hidden, but definitely creepy. After I watched 'The Bird's" all the way through for the first time (I always used to quit since it seemed boring and was always on too late at night), I looked into the scene where Tippi Hedren gets attacked by the birds near the end of the film. It seemed to be a kind of pseudo-rape. It was, and apparently it was a grueling scene for Hedren to film.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 05:11 pm
Wow, when you know it's a big bird in the back of that shot it really does just look like a big bird - I can't see how it could look like a dead munchkin, having never heard of the rumour until now.
adt4m

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 11:15 pm
Yeah, it's a bird- and the three men thing is a cardboard cut out of the actor, Ted Danson, which was used in the scene but later edited for time. The scream thing I thought was in Rollercoaster of Love by the Red Hot Chili Peppers b/c a character mentions it in the awful Urban Legends movie.

Check out Snopes.com- I've spent countless hours reading this stuff.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:44 am
This site about Love Rollercoaster murder says it was really a band member crying out:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa030399b.htm
0 Replies

tydurden88

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:19 pm
i dont have any creepy ones but heres some(i dont know the exact scenes there in though)-
all of a sudden in the little mermaid zeus gets a boner.

and in lion king when that monkey guy is singing or something he falls into a bunch of flowers...when the flowers float up they spell out "sex"
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 02:14 pm
There is a rumor (I have friends that assure me it is true but I can't verify) that in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" Jessica Rabbit is depicted nude in a single frame.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 08:36 am
bromeliad wrote:
A while back I looked into something that wasn't exactly hidden, but definitely creepy. After I watched 'The Bird's" all the way through for the first time (I always used to quit since it seemed boring and was always on too late at night), I looked into the scene where Tippi Hedren gets attacked by the birds near the end of the film. It seemed to be a kind of pseudo-rape. It was, and apparently it was a grueling scene for Hedren to film.

I think Hitchcock planned to use something other than real birds for that scene, but in the end, only real ones produced a realistic effect. Some of the birds in the movies are animation, some are real, and I believe that some were stuffed or electronic.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:12 am
I always imagined what Hitchcock would have done with CGI. It's been grossly overused in such films as the remake of "The Haunting" and with seemless effect in "Seabiscuit." I would believe Hitchcock would have been judicious but with "The Birds" he might have been tempted to make nearly all the birds CGI. I was somewhat aware of the animation and artificial birds but it didn't detract from the impact of the film. That scene in the phone booth is the setpiece of the film and still gives me a sinking feeling in my stomach. Doesn't everyone, like with "Jaws" and sharks, see a flock of birds overhead or a congregation of birds on, say, a fence and immediately think of "The Birds?"
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 05:27 pm
Re "Birds" the two scariest parts for me are 1) the scene where the schoolchildren are singing a song, unaware that a huge flock of sinister birds are massing behind them; and 2) for some reason, the part where the guy smoking at the gas station blows himself up has always given me nightmares.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:01 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
However, in "The Night on Bald Mountain" sequence in "Fantasia", Disney got away with bare breasted demons flying at the screen (very quick glimpses). I referred to it in art school as "lude Disney."

That one I knew. Some of the others are really interesting. Definitely worth another look. Thanks
Very Happy
0 Replies

veni vidi vici

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:40 am
Equus wrote:
There is a rumor (I have friends that assure me it is true but I can't verify) that in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" Jessica Rabbit is depicted nude in a single frame.

Yeah, that is true Very Happy . I think she falls over and lands facing 'the camera', legs akimbo with no undies on. Its a very breif flash, i'm sure i read the illustrators did it for a laugh!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:07 am
Now I have to see WFRR again! However, not really very creepy (okay, except perhaps for cartoon gay guys).
0 Replies