Thinking about a career in teaching

dlowan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:37 am
Smart puddytat...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:12 pm
In my dream? I was trying to make abook for class about bats (halloween....?). I was having writer's block. And I was being distracted by a sexy new friend which was more what the dream was about.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:13 pm
And, yes, one step at a time should be my motto (or one of them) through out life.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:53 am
I have thought about teaching as a career also. I have a couple questions about it though. If one were to become a teacher, would one have to teach a certain age group? Would one be able to choose what age group or level one would teach?

And what about being a college professor? Is there a lot more involved with the actual day-to-day tasks of being a professor? I'm talking about extracurricular things, like writing papers, articles, etc.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:03 am
You're a man, kicky. In Canada at least, that gives you carte blanche in terms of who, what and where you teach. It also puts you at the front of the line for getting into teacher's college here.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:34 am
But what about in America? Do you know where I would find info on that?

Maybe it's in the beginning of this thread. I'll go check when I have time.
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:23 pm
Kickycan,
I can't say that being a male will give you any advantage regarding acceptance into a school of ed. in the U.S., or a better chance at being hired, based on reports I've heard from fellow students of mine.

Regarding teaching certain age groups....
In Michigan at least, (and I assume that holds true for all U.S. States, you are generally certified for either K-8, which is all labeled as elementary, or 9-12, which is labeled as secondary. Of course some teachers hold dual certification.

To teach in a college, you generally must have a Master's Degree in your chosen field although some adjunct instructors are allowed to teach with just a Bachelor's, at least at some community colleges, and especially is they are teaching a trade or some other "skilled" class. In those cases, it is their skill that buys them the "ability" to teach.

Regarding hiring in pre-college schools, most of us have a vision of what ideal grade level we would like to teach and where. Most of end up taking the best of maybe a couple solid job offers. My major is elementary science. My ideal grades would be 3rd and 4th. I know I may have to teach anything that comes down the pike. We don't always get our "ideal" going in as new teachers. I have a friend who's major is also elementary science. She ended up taking a position as primarily an English teacher, many miles from her home, in a parochial school, just to start teaching. I would have to weigh such an offer. I would probably stick with the respiratory gig than to stray that far from what I really want. I've decided, in my own mind, that if I cannot land what I consider to be a decent classroom to start, I will sub-teach and hold on to TheBreatingGame for a while. I do not want to "settle".

I think you should pose your questions to educators in your area because many of the things your asking about do differ from one region to the next.

Have you ever spent any appreciable time in a classroom....other than as a student? You might want to consider doing some volunteer time in a nearby school to get a taste of it and to gain contact with the people you might end up working with/for.

Good luck!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 03:17 pm
Thanks!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 03:45 pm
Kicky, you don't necessarily have to write papers, but it sure is easier to get tenure track if you have written some, plus if you have a PhD. Depending on where would you want to teach or what kind of college.
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 09:26 pm
Got my official Texas Teacher Certificate! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 09:30 pm
Yay, Jose, good going!
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 09:41 pm
Thanks! They're threatening to move me from 5th to 6th grade- there are pros & cons but for some reason, 6th graders are the WORST!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 09:48 pm
I'll try to remember that!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:48 am
Congrats, Jose! And just in time for the new school year. (Starts here two weeks from today - seems like it's getting earlier and earlier.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:54 am
Congrats, Mr. Cuervo!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 02:25 pm
Jose Cuervo--

Congratulations. Now what?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 05:50 pm
Quote:
I am two essays and a research proposal away from my post-grad degree in Infant Mental Health

This is from a few pages back -- but it caught my attention.

I wasn't aware there were that many infants on the verge of a nervous breakdown.....or suffering from stress and/or depression....or maybe obsessive/compulsiveness?......agoraphobia?.......split personality?....
diaper rash anxiety?.....
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:46 am
To answer a question: Normally, when you get youyr certification, the school district puts you where you are needed. They realy don't care what your grade or age range desires are. It gets to a point when you are looking for a job as long as I have, you don't care where it is as long as it is. For those of you debating on teaching as a proffesion-to steal a quote: "either get busy livin or get busy dying!" Don't make excuses! I didn't start college until I was 31 and it took me 6 1/2 years to get it done because of work requirements. And, I am constantly overlooked for teaching jobs because of my age and because I am not a coach. I'm always granted the obligatory interview because the districts want to make it look good. But they never wqnt the experienced person as a contracted teacher. They want us only as substitutes. Will I quit try? Never.
So? what's it gunna be? Livin or dyin?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:31 pm
I just went to an open-house at Lesley University. It's local, well-respected, and focuses largely on education. It's also very expensive. But, it's got good perks, too.

I think I want to focus on elementary education. There's a program where you can take a full weekend of courses one weekend a month towards a master's degree. One course is 2 weekends (2 months) long. Sounds like one can get the masters in one intesive year, but 1.5-2 years would be a more likely goal for completion. The hardest part will be the 14 weeks of in the classroom experience where I can't be working for income. Also, the animals - it'll be tricky keeping the diabetic cat on a schedule.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 04:21 pm
So, 'k...is it REALLY happening?????

(Crossed fingers!)
0 Replies