Thinking about a career in teaching

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 07:53 am
'k.

I will never say anything about this to you again.

I don't have a right to say it now - and I SOOOOO know I am gonna get farted at and you'll flip yer right underwire and such - but - you have been talking about this teaching thing for the four years I have "known" you.

It's time to crap, or get off the pot.

Time be a wasting.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 07:53 am
(ducking for cover - and whimpering...)
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 10:22 am
I understand.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:37 pm
Ack! Like I can talk - I am two essays and a research proposal away from my post-grad degree in Infant Mental Health.

Have been just that far away from it for two years....
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 02:54 am
HI JG & k!

Just finished up the 4th week of school- whew! Time flies... I had to get out 3 week grade reports and, I must say, felt a little overwhelmed. Having 4 subjects- Spelling, Reading, English, and History and 2 sections with 24 students in each was alot. OY!

Seems to be going well though and we're having some fun too. I even had my Supervisor from the internship program visit the other day and he gave me all good marks. If I can just get all the documentation ready for 6 week grades to go out...

Better get busy. Only two more weeks to go!
0 Replies

KellyS

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 03:50 pm
I say go for it.

I'm in El Paso, TX and pursuing an alternative teaching certificate. That means an alternative route, as opposed to someone who went to college to become a teacher. I will get a regular certificate at the end, I hope.

The process here is that I had to take a test, THEA, Texas Higher Education Assessment test. High School students in Texas are required to pass a TAKS, Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills, to graduate from high school. The THEA test was basically that test. Reading, riting, and rithmatic. Five hours. I bought the twenty dollar study guide and spent two weeks going through it. I've been a practicing engineer for over thirty years, some of the school vocabulary was gone, not just rusty.

Then I had to get my transcripts evaluated and right now I am waiting for one of my four required references to return his character reference form. I told him just to write in, "I guarantee he is a character", and mail it. I think he is taking the time to answer the questions. (GULP! Smile )

When that part of the process is complete I send the state of Texas fifty dollars and they issue me a one year temporary certificate so I can actually go out and get a real teaching job if I can find one. I have heard rumors that a math teacher can almost pick their high school to teach in here, but I learned a long time ago only to apply on a rumor, not bank on them.

Starting in January, these programs run on strange schedules, I will be required to pay for and attend classes on mathematics, and pedagogy. The program I am working to get into charges $5400 for the subject matter and pedegogy prep classes. I will take a second math test, through calculus, about February. Then the pedagogy classes begin and I have to take a test on pedagogy about May. If I pass all the tests I will then send the state more money and get a regular teaching certificate. Someplace along the line I might accidently learn how to spell. Smile

Then I will have to complete a certain number of college courses every five years to maintain my certificate. That is an old rule applying to all teachers. I don't know what new things will happen to comply with No Child Left Behind, but I do know that right now the state of Texas is underfunding education about thirty percent across the state and most of the school districts are in court trying to squeeze more money out of a cash strapped legislature. I'm hoping for an income tax, but that is almost a heretical statement subjecting the utterer to buring at the stake in Texas.

I did pursue getting a teaching certificate in New Mexico and the process was essetially the same except that the major universities have it in their clutches and require taking almost enough courses in one year to get a master's degree in education, add three hours in the summer and get a masters during summer graduation ceremonies. But the three state wide tests are still required. Interstingly the same company administers the tests in Texas and New Mexico. I personally suspect they only change the cover sheets, but I don't intend to take the tests in New Mexico now because the opportunity to move to New Mexico, related to my wife's work, fell through.

Again, I do urge you to go for the interview, ask lots of questions and take lots of notes. You should ask the school districts about other means of alternative certification. Here in El Paso, TX there are five approved outfits to get the certificate through, at widely differing prices. I have chosen the second most costly, because the most expensive made the process just too expensive and burdensome to me, and the others gave me bad vibes. As I said in New Mexico there only seems to be one source, the local university. Explore your options. The worst possible answer you can get is NO, everything else is a yes or merely and adjetive. Very Happy

Best wishes,
Kelly
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:40 pm
Hello, littlek Very Happy
Are you still here?
Do tell us what your current thinking on this is: To teach or not to teach?
Is time running out?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:18 pm
Great info there, Kelly!! And best of luck to you... sounds like you have a good, viable plan.
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 06:17 pm
I had my last class today to complete my Alternative Teacher Cert. program. Now I must finish the school year while occasionally observing teachers and being observed by field person from the college. I also was fingerprinted for FBI background check- can you believe this is what it's come to? But then I guess it is a good thing in today's society. Rolling Eyes Oy!
Bumper sticker of the year: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. ...and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:01 pm
Good goin' Jose!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:46 pm
Been hiding from you hounds!

I know I need to act. I am, as is my family, nortoriously slow to act.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:49 pm
And thanks all.....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:58 pm
Wow, littlek. You might be as lazy as I am.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 11:03 pm
Or as thoughtful..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 11:06 pm
Well, I'm not sure it's either lazy or thoughtful. I'm thinking it's a genetic form of inertia. I am a hard worker when I'm working. If work is bad, I still work. Until it goes too far, then I leave. But, I'll sit and work in a bad situation for years.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:56 am
Good goin', Jose C. - and jGirl, too!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:58 am
So, I dreamt about being a teacher last night, sort of. Actually, the dream wasn't ABOUT being a teacher, but I was a teacher in the dream.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:25 am
How'd you like it in the dream?
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 11:47 am
Geeze K....so get on with it already. You ain't gettin' any younger either Kiddo.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:28 am
littlek

What about the idea of starting with one subject toward your degree? Seemed a pretty good solution to your current obligations.
0 Replies