Oil leak monte carlo 1996

cujo35

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:15 am
I seem to have the same problem as mentinoed in some other posts,i have read these but now i need to know approximateluy where those 2 areas are.
the leak on this one looks like it is coming from the lower back of the engine but i have no pictures or any direction to find the trouble area any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,391 • Replies: 1
No top replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:02 pm
I am not specifically familiar with the 96 Monte Carlo. However, I am going to assume the car is rear wheel drive, and a V-6 or V-8 engine.

If oil is coming off the back of the engine, dripping down and off, or near the front of the transmission, there are two things which come immediately to mind.

1) Oil sending unit. Some engines have the oil sender on the front, some in the back. The oil sender will sometimes leak a significant amount of oil. The good news is that the part is probably less than $15.

2) Rear engine seal (main seal). This is an expensive repair, depending on how your engine is made. Some models require that the transmission and engine be separated, others just require the oil pan and rear main bearing cap be removed.

When replacing the main seal, if the engine/trans need to be separated, it's a good idea to replace the torque converter and maybe the flywheel while you're at it, since labor is much higher than the parts.

Now, there is one other thing I've seen, but not often. I have seen valve cover gaskets leak so bad that oil ran down the back of the engine and gave the symptom of a rear main seal leak.

General Tsao
0 Replies