Why can't unaccompanied children travel to Idaho?

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 01:03 pm
Not Idaho as a whole, but Sun Valley, Idaho between Dec 1 and April 1.

My kids are flying by themselves - they are older a late teen and a tween, but to make sure I have everything lined up, I went and checked the website to make sure I had everything set up as I should. Upon selecting rules for children traveling along, I came across this really weird one -

Unaccompanied Minors are not accepted to or from the following cities:
•Sun Valley, Idaho
- annually between December 1 and April 1.

Anyone have any idea why this would be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 4,942 • Replies: 11

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 01:05 pm
@Linkat,
That's a big ski resort, right?

My guess would be that it's got something to do with that.
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 01:09 pm
@ehBeth,
But no other ski resort? Just weird.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 01:20 pm
@Linkat,
Idaho has potatoes.
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 01:47 pm
@maxdancona,
Well that makes perfect sense.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 04:39 pm
@Linkat,
http://myfamilytravels.com/content/10288-unaccompanied-minors-our-most-vulnerable-passengers

Quote:
. Check your smartphone for weather forecasts before the flight and ask loved ones at your destination to check theirs. Ask about changing flight plans if weather conditions seem inclement at either end. That goes if your child is feeling sick, too. Weather has become such a big concern for the airlines, that for example, Alaska Airlines will not transport any UMs on flights into or out of Sun Valley, Idaho between December and March because of the frequency of delayed flights.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 04:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
http://www.seattletimes.com/life/travel/tips-for-making-solo-flights-for-kids-go-smoothly/

Quote:
Weather: All bets are off when severe weather disrupts flights. Alaska stopped accepting unaccompanied children last winter when it precanceled some flights due to storms. Flights to or from Sun Valley, Idaho, are off-limits to minors traveling alone between December and April.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 04:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, BF.
Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 04:47 pm
@ossobuco,
You have to this tall, to go on that ride!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 06:58 am
@Butrflynet,
Ok I figured there had to be some sort of logic why, but for the life of me I couldn't figure why was Sun Valley so different than any where else that one place would warrant not allowing unaccompanied children.

I did try a search, but all I found was what a wonderful place Sun Valley is for families and all the children's activities so it really increased my question rather than answered it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 08:51 am
It might have something to do with Wayward Pines.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 07:44 am
@Linkat,
Sun Valley to me pretty much epitomizes the word "different". I personally don't consider it to be part of Idaho.
0 Replies