St. Pauli Girl

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 02:01 pm
Does anyone actually drink this stuff?

Once in a great while I see them throw a magazine ad out there, and see a 6-pack or two tucked next to the Vermont microbrews in the liquor stores. I can definitely say, I've never once seen anyone drink one of these...at a bar, restaurant, party, ect(the St. Pauly Girl sales people must make a boatload!).

I'd guess it has to do with the marketing aspect: not too many guys are ordering beers named after their great aunt. Kind of like how all these idiots think Michelob Ultra is some all new "lo carb" beer because they show someone running on a treadmill on the commercials, when there's plenty other beers just as low? This is the opposite...nobody likes the packaging.

Just wondering if anyone actually drinks it, if it's any good, and what it's like?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,173 • Replies: 11
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 02:04 pm
I've had it in the past and wasn't much impressed. *shrugs*
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 02:15 pm
It's a pretty basic beer in the international lager style. Better than Coors, but nothing to write home about. I think Stella Artois is superior. As for the packaging, yeah, not really manly enough, despite the girl, for the American market. You are right, it's NAMED after a GIRL.

Okay, note to St. Pauli Girl marketing department: Americans like generically packaged beer with proper names not including 'girl' in them. Americans like to see ads involving drinking beer and magically hooking up with hot chicks, but do NOT want to be seen by a hot chick with a beer that has 'girl' on the label. Also, when Americans hear the name 'Pauli', they tend to think of Pauly Shore, not good. Now, there is Paulie on The Sopranos....I might suggest changing the name to 'Paulie's Beer', and put some dude whacking another dude on the label. You would sell a whole lot more beer overseas that way.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 02:47 pm
Stella Artois has gotten fairly popular around here. It's pretty good.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 04:29 pm
for some bizarre reason it was the brew of choice on my ultimate frisbee team in the mid-80's. nothin' to write home about...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:33 pm
We drink St. Pauli girl. I like it. I am a lager drinker, coming from Slovakia. That is, former Czechoslovakia and thus I feel entitled to claim the Czech beer as our national beer too. The girl-beers, depicting blong almost bare-breasted females are indeed popular in Europe and that's where it comes from I suppose. As far as lagers go, it is a decent beer and I in fact like it more than Stella Artois. Beer equals pilsner to me, the rest is either stout or guinness or whatnot, and I won't go there... I make an exception for Harpoon IPA lately, but not beyond that. That's for those Englishmen and other confused people. You want beer? Grab a pilsner from Czech republic and environs, Germany, or even Belgium. But some say I am a bit prejudiced when it comes to beer. Gets even worse with ice-hockey. Other than those two though, I have no vices... So humble and modest am I.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:53 pm
http://www.stpauligirl.com/TheGirl/images/picGetToKnowHer.jpg

The new 2004 St. Pauli Girl is Berglind Icey.

She is a saucy, sexy Girl born in Reykjavik, Iceland, who couldn't be more thrilled to be the newest member of the St. Pauli Girls. She was chosen because of her photogenic appeal, outgoing personality and her resemblance to the St. Pauli Girl icon. Congrats Icey!

The 411 on "Icey". . .

Icey's birthday is June 4, 1977. She is 5'11" tall and weighs 130 pounds. Her native tongue is Icelandic, although she's fluent in English. Currently, she's a co-host of the new show Style Court on E! Entertainment Network, which first aired on August 8, 2003. Icey also hosted the game show Cram on the Gameshow Network. She's an athletic Girl - she enjoys snowboarding, skiing, kickboxing, rollerblading, ice-skating, swimming and horseback riding.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:05 pm
Her native tongue is Icelandic....how the little head wanders to thoughts of icy...okay, moving on...

My favourite pilsner is Pilsner Urquell. In fact, it's the only one worth drinking on these shores.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:09 pm
I could drink a lot of Girl if that girl were serving...
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:43 pm
what pdiddie said...........
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:12 am
Well now you know why beers with girls in them are so popular in Europe. Cav, most excelellent choice. It is the original beer after all, all else comes after. My favourite too. Czechvar (which, by the way, is the Czech Budweiser - the beer from which the AMerican Budweiser stole the name and had to pay after losing a suit) is equally good. But the best is Staropramen, you may find it on tap at some places, but very rarely.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:26 am
I'd have to give pilsner beers another chance...when I did beer promos at bars(most fun job I ever had), I did a promo for Pilsner one night. I don't think anyone bought it, and although I was drinking it, I remember not liking it.
0 Replies