M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village"

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:46 am
Coming to theaters very soon, this is M. Night Shyamalan's fourth film and I'm sure most of the A2Ker's in the film forum know I'm not duly impressed with his past offerings.

A scenario provide by the director apparently:

Covington Pennsylvania is a nice quiet town surrounded by a beautiful forest where strange, and unseen creatures live. The people of Covington have a small, yet essential agreement with these creatures. Do not to come to our village, we will not come to your woods. It's as simple as that. But Lucius, one of the townfolk, realizes it's not fair to be completely confined to the town, and goes into the woods for something no one knows about. Not long after, the town is under attack. Red blood slashes are found on the doors all over the village, and pretty soon, the creatures have agreed with Lucius. Why stay in the woods when there's a village to be explored, and people to be hunted.

This looks like a hybrid of Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "The Blair Witch Project." I'm apprehensive that he has produced another slick and derivative potboiler. I enjoyed "The Sixth Sense" but will never watch it again. I thought "Signs" was self-consciously pseudo-religious and Mel Gibson's performance was maudlin and moribund (I know, the character may have been written that way but Gibson compounded it with the infernal scowling and disingenuous angst).
It basically was a rehash of all the aliens aren't nice and they're sneaky theme from 50's B movie sci-fi.

I am going to try and approach this one without bias but I'm also not setting my sights too high.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,600 • Replies: 36
No top replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:53 pm
I know I'm looking forward to it!
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:11 am
Can't wait to see it.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 02:13 pm
I can wait. Looks like SIgns part II. I can't enjoy a so-called thriller with more logical holes than ...a thing with lots of logical holes.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 03:59 pm
'Fraid I'm with you, limbodog. I thought he'd outdone himself with metaphysical, exintensialist mumbo jumbo with "Unbreakable" and then I saw "Signs." I guess one has to let themselves go and take the ride. The trouble is, it's a ride on a roller coaster with a ten foot drop and 1-1/1 G's. "The Sixth Sense" was a "Twilight Zone" episode padded out to a full length film. "Signs" -- I was looking for the "Sign" that said "Detour" so I could bail on that movie. He does provide the atmosphere but it's like a restaurant with fine atmosphere and terrible food.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 04:21 pm
It's just another anti-hunting movie. Freakin' vegans anyway. Ramalama Dingdong. I'm surprised no one caught this rather obvious message.
0 Replies

Doins

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:23 pm
The book was decent
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:11 pm
I really liked Signs!
I also liked the Blair Witch Project, although it was dissapointing, it was scary.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:56 am
Whatever "Signs" had at the core, Mel Gibson's scowling, sulking, mediocre performance as well as another silly depiction of aliens barely worthy of the bar in "Star Wars" ruined it. It wasn't suspenseful because I knew where it was going in the first reel. I'll admit that "The Sixth Sense" was initially rather enthralling and did provide a good twist ending but it's not worthy of a second viewing. "Unbreakable" just failed to grab me from the beginning and I began yawning half way through. Some initially fascinating ideas but ultimately there's a weak intellectual conundrum to each film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:58 am
(I didn't get the anti-hunting stuff in "Signs" and since Gibson is a conservative, I don't know that he would have taken the part).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:50 am
I was talking about "The Village".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:19 pm
Oh, okay -- we've been discussing all of the director's movies so it helps to refer back to the title you're referring to. As to "The Village," how could "everyone" catch what you are talking about when the film hasn't been released yet and, as of today, there are no reviews published. Some internet review by some blogger perhaps?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:39 pm
I just found the trailer to be quite blatent in its anti-hunting message. Don't go into the woods (the guy who does is likely either hunting or screwing whatever's in them), or you'll raise the ire of whatever lives there.

Plus the fact that Shyamalan is Indian and likely a vegetarian just nails it for me.

Vegetarian - An old American Indian word meaning "lousy hunter".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:08 pm
Didn't get that at all. What's your poison today?

Rent Disney's "Bambi" or "Brother Bear" if you want to see a real anti-hunting movie.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:11 pm
Disney is anti-hunting across the board. Nothing new there. Whenever I'm at Disneyland I always order a venison burger, just for fun.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:20 pm
BTW, Shyamalan is not American Indian and I know you're desperately trying to make a joke but it's an old, stale joke.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:23 pm
Huh? I know he isn't, I never implied that. And I don't care if you don't like my jokes.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:59 pm
Not specifically but Benjamin Franklin was a vegetarian and wasn't even Indian, American or otherwise.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 12:39 pm
cjhsa, your really reaching with the vegetarian thing. It seems your so "pro hunting" or whatever that its making you see things that aren't there (or at least might not be, since I havn't seen the flick).

"Plus the fact that Shyamalan is Indian and likely a vegetarian just nails it for me."

Congrats. You just won the "assh*le comment of the day" award.
[golf clap]
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 02:19 pm
Really? I'm thrilled.
0 Replies