Can my wife restrict my access to her Timeline.

JonHig

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 01:12 am
Recently the content that a can see on my wife's home page/timeline has been drastically reduced. There are three new friends instead of a few hundred and the photos are purely to do with our family. The nine changing photos in the top left of her Home page are not there any more, just three permanent ones of the new friends. There may be a simple technical issue, but i find it strange and very disturbing. I hope someone can advise please.
Thank you.

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 01:22 am
The fact that you cannot ask her directly but have to come on a web forum to ask this question suggests your relationship has trust and communication issues.
JonHig

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 04:45 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
You have made a very presumptive statement monsieur! My question was basically a technical one which you obviously can't answer. Or am i being presumptive now? In fact i have asked her, and she said she couldn't understand it, and wouldn't know how to do it anyway. The question remains. Can it be done or not? Thank you to anyone who can answer this!
jespah

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 05:58 am
@JonHig,
Yes, she can restrict access.

It's in settings, look at the gear wheel in the upper right corner. She may also have not listed you as a 'close friend' but if you are listed as being in a relationship on FB, I believe that is more or less automatic.
JonHig

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 08:34 am
@jespah,
Thank you jespah. It is much appreciated, but i don't see any gear wheel anywhere on the Home page/Timeline. Perhaps i can't see the wood for the trees!
JonHig

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 08:50 am
@JonHig,
Ah i see what seems to be a small lock which brings up questions like who can see my posts or something similar. It doesn't give me any clues from looking at that though i am afraid!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 09:43 am
@JonHig,
Yes.

Access on FB can be managed.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 09:44 am
@JonHig,
Sorry - lock (lots of sites have gear wheels. Shame on me for not checking!).

It is possible to set up who can see various posts by pulling down on the lock, and selecting 'Who can see my stuff'. Now look at 'who can see my future posts'. It might say everyone but ... and list a few names, perhaps yours is included. This is something that can be changed inline (during the act of posting) and so an inexperienced user might not realize that a simple exclusionary act (say, they want to plan a surprise party) might have changed other settings.

You can also look at 'what do other people see on my timeline' and select 'view as' and see what others will see if they're not connected to you yet.

BTW, this is current as of June 28, 2015 (I checked), but may not be correct later. FB is constantly changing its look and its algorithms.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 09:45 am
@JonHig,
Does your wife want to change her current access settings?
JonHig

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 04:30 pm
@ehBeth,
That i would not know ehBeth. My wife is not very 'transparent'! She has always maintained she knows nothing about doing this sort of thing in FB, but i am sure there there are those around her who do! I didn't know either, but it has taken less than 24hrs to find out! Thanks.
GorDie

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 04:51 pm
@JonHig,
I liked the comments indicating hats he can. to verify he quality of their responses. I have a question.

Have you have commented negatively about he contents of her facebook wall? have you caused irritation by commenting on her facebook content?
If you have, then you do not think that you need to worry about her screening you. Maybe it has nothing to do with mistrust or secretive actions, but is just to prevent you from commenting on things she doesn't want to hear you make small talk about.
small talk is demeaning.
JonHig

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 12:02 am
@GorDie,
Yes i commented about her ex husband constantly appearing in one of the nine photos at the top left of her home page. When i say constantly i mean daily! I told her i thought he was stalking her. I have been lead to believe they never get in touch. In that case why would one or two people always be in that little Rubic cube and others not?.
annifa

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 09:34 am
@JonHig,
My understanding is that the little rubix cude of 9 friends is based on YOU, the users, algorythms.. for instance, if you have been searching for him, clicking on his profile, etc. When your wife is logged in, she could very possibly be seeing completely different friends in that box.

Also, you can set your profile to limited, or restrict certain things (like who can see your friends) for everyone, so she might just have set it to private, rather than excluding just you. I have done that on mine, just to make it safer, more secure, & less interesting for nosey people.

Anyway, you're her husband, he's her EX husband, that says something doesn't it? Don't get jealous and make yourself (and your wife) miserable. If her ex is stalking her, that's his problem. Not hers.
jespah

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 09:36 am
@JonHig,
Because her ex is probably posting more, and she is liking similar posts.

The algorithm for deciding who are the people in the nine photo grid - that algorithm is proprietary, but the main things that FB does is, it serves you more content that's similar to what you have provided a social signal about in the past.

Case in point. I like Boston Terriers. I think they're funny. I am delivered with a ton of BT posts, ads, groups to join, friends to make, rescue groups to follow, etc. If I got tired of them and moved onto Labrador Retrievers, eventually FB would catch up and start to deliver me a ton of Lab posts. Further, if I got tired of BTs but didn't fill in anything else to replace them, FB would still serve me BT posts because Facebook would not have yet received any contradictory social signals.

Want to change who appears in the nine-person grid? It'll take a while but -
  1. Pick someone to replace them. Choose a person who is active on Facebook, as inactive people won't hit the algorithm quite so hard. Let's call them your new favorite.
  2. Add that person to your 'close friends' group.
  3. Go to their wall and post on it a few times every week.
  4. Like everything they've posted for the last 2 weeks or so.
  5. Start liking everything they post, and comment on and share that stuff, too.

Facebook will catch on after a while and will flip that person into nine-grid status. I can't tell you how long this will take (or who in the nine-grid they'll bump out), as a lot of factors come into play, including how many other friends you have and how much you interact with them, and what this new favorite shares that is possibly in common with your other friends. The strongest social signals will come from liking and sharing unique content that your new favorite is releasing.

Anyway, eventually, Facebook will figure out that you've got a new favorite but, like I said, it takes a while and the whole thing is complicated by Facebook's enormous size and the tsunami of data that we are all hit with on there, every single day.
JonHig

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 05:26 pm
@jespah,
Thank you Jespah. My, how knowledgeable you are on the subject!! I am learning so much from this, including WHY i have been blocked! have a good day. Regards Jon.
JonHig

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 05:34 pm
@annifa,
Thank you annifa. Yes it does say something, and i don't like it. The weird thing is i have NEVER been included in that elite little cube even tho there is regular daily contact between us (she lives and works abroad which is more food for bad thoughts i am afraid to say). Anyway, it is my problem and i shall have to deal with it in some way i guess. Thanks again. Jon.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 05:51 pm
@JonHig,
Oh, my pleasure. I'm getting my MA in this. And your question might've given me an idea for my thesis, so thank you. Smile
JonHig

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 01:11 am
@jespah,
I have another question please. My wife says that if i had been blocked then we would not be able to talk normally, and that her FB is on Private settings. Any truth in what she says? I won't tell you what else she said hahaha! Good luck with your MA. I am intrigued as to how our conversations can help with your thesis unless it is something like psychology!
jespah

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 07:31 am
@JonHig,
Thank you! I'm wondering if it would make sense to do a thesis on the nine-grid. Hmm.

Okay - back to your q -

Blocking and setting an FB account to private are not the same things. If she had blocked you, then any time you're logged into FB, it would appear as if she did not have an account at all. You'd search and her name wouldn't come up, you wouldn't be able to friend her, tag her in posts or images, etc. You'd still get notifications from other people but I believe that you would not get notifications if some mutual friend were to like one of her posts. Blocking breaks that connection.

Private settings make it harder for people to be found and for others to add them as friends - they have to be added by the person with the private settings. But accounts with private settings can still be found.

There is also the possibility of a change in her sharing settings (I believe I showed you this earlier). She could have everything set to share with everyone but a small group of people - including you. In that instance, you would not get notifications, but you'd be able to see what she was doing on her wall.

BTW, talk to her again about this, I'd suggest. Ask if she was fiddling with something. A lot of people get thrown into the deep end with FB, and think they've got it all figured out, but they don't, not necessarily.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 07:57 am
@JonHig,
Your wife is correct. If she had blocked you, you would not be able to see her account at all when you are logged into Facebook. There would be nothing when you searched for her account.