Musty smell from upstairs bathroom and I'm sure a small....

TammyP

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:24 am
leak although I can't see any obvious signs of one. My upstairs bathroom has a really musty odor coming from it. Any ideas as to what would cause a musty odor in a bathroom? I smell it a bit in my kitchen (located directly underneath it), but I have a small hole in the wall where I just installed an hood/fan, so I think the smell is coming from there. This is also why I think that there is a small amount of water coming from the bathroom. Any ideas would be a help. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,185 • Replies: 4
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:46 am
Welcome to A2K Tammy! It's probably mold and the fan is helping to spread the mold around. I suggest removing the fan and thouroughly cleaning it as well as the surrounding woodwork and/or enamel. It could also be the mischevious work of ghosts or evil spirits. These are much harder to get rid of.
0 Replies

TammyP

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 11:34 am
Thanks....I was wondering about that, but I also thought that maybe the wax seal may have broken on the toilet. What do you think, could it be the culprit?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:23 pm
Anything in a bathroom that leaks or contains standing water would contribute to mold and, of course this includes a leaky toilet. It's always a good idea to replace the wax sel in any case.
0 Replies

TammyP

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:35 am
So before I do the wax seal replacement, would that cause water to seap onto the kitchen ceiling (obviously between floors, but would it cause water to leak that much?). Mind you the toilet feels abit wobbly. Should I turn the water off that leads to the toilet before I actually get to the repair, or will it not make any difference in the flow of the leak?
0 Replies