Burt Lancaster or Kirk Douglas?

kuvasz

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 07:37 pm
spartacus, from here to eternity, lust for life, the birdman of alcatraz, paths of glory, seven days in may(a twofer), detective story, the professional, the vikings, atlantic city, .............

the list goes on and on.

butr my fave was burt in elmer gantry

i loved both of these actors, they conveyed some powerful characters and messeges thru their art.

next to henry fonda, i can not think of more "american" actors.. (sorry mr brando...and you to mr steiger.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,444 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 07:41 pm
and of course the classic Kirk Douglas "Lonely are the Brave" which he stated was the finest film he was even in and i agree. from the book by edward abbey "the lonely cowboy"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 07:41 pm
Aren't you forgetting the "Duke" and Jimmy Stewart? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 08:29 pm
Fonda, Heston, Stewart, Wayne, Lancaster, Douglas would be my first thoughts but, Im sure theres more, and they all have added to the subject in their own individual ways.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 06:29 pm
The Swimmer
I love it when I reluctantly decide to watch a movie only to find that it is great and unforgettable. The Swimmer was such a movie - apparently it was Lancaster's favorite movie of his career. It has shown on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) twice over the last few months. Catch it if you can.

Come to think of it, Paths of Glory was one of those movies too.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 07:17 pm
Kuvasz: You might enjoy seeing Douglas and Lancaster together in I Walk Alone, The Devils Disciple and Gunfight At the OK Corral. (I could never decide which one of them I liked better). And, please don't forget Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, William Holden, Edward G. Robinson, Gene Hackman and Jack Lemmon, to name just a few.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 09:46 pm
All of the actors mentioned were great. I have to add Clark Gable, Errol Flynn, Gregory Peck.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 11:30 pm
I thought Burt and Kirk was one and the same. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:49 am
Burt Lancaster gave one of filmdom's finest performances as Elmer Gantry. If you've never seen this film, do yourself a favor and rent it. I think you'll be amazed at the powerful, haunting performance given
by Lancaster.

Besides Lancaster, Gantry features an Oscar-winning supporting actress performance by Shirley Jones.

This picture deals with a theme that is just as topical today as when the film was released. A must see.

Lancaster deservedly won the Best Actor Academy Award in 1960 for his electrifying portrayal of Gantry. The movie is based on a novel by Sinclair Lewis.
0 Replies