1961 vw buggy sputtering

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 03:45 pm
I have a 1961 vw buggy 1200 cc engine that was perfectly fine until I washed it. I've changed the plugs, drained some of the gas after it settled, and gave it an oil change while I was at it. If it sits for a while it will start up but then it just sputters really bad. And occasionally it will ramp up then back to sputtering and stall. It ran fine until about a day after I washed it. Any other things I could check or do before taking it to the mechanics? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,071 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 03:46 pm
@Mrcburns412,
Timing?

All spark plugs working OK? Leads to spark plugs clean and dry? Good clean,dry contact point with plug?

You csn buy a can of moisture dispersant/sealant to see if that makes any difference. Spray it around HT Leads, points etc.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 04:41 pm
@Mrcburns412,
Check the hamster wheel.

Seriously, I'd check the coil wire, plug wires and the points to see if they got wet. Coil wire first.

At night, open the hood and make sure it's dark..and see if you can see any sparks when you spray water with a fine mist sprayer. that'll spot where the short or arcing and sparking might be.

Also I have no idea for sure on those old VW bugs but perhaps you have a clogged gas filter or some water in the carb....fuel line somewhere?
0 Replies

shenmark

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 05:52 am
The Volkswagens of 1961 looked much the same as they always had, although a major change rested under their clamshell rear engine cover. The long-lived 36hp, 1,192cc air-cooled flat-four engine was altered with a higher compression ratio, an automatic choke-equipped Solex one-barrel downdraft carburetor and a new air cleaner; the result was a 4hp increase
0 Replies