who is responsible?

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 02:32 pm
so;

two people that know each other meet. One of them has an object in his/her hand. not crazy expensive but with certain value, not only economical value.

they greet each other by hugging, and when they release their hug, by a clumsy movement the object falls to the ground.

the object is now damaged and has to be repaired. The repairment costs some money. not crazy money but some money.

Who has to pay for this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 577 • Replies: 9

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 02:55 pm
@camilozk,
The holder.

These things are known as accidents. Contrary to popular modern opinion, accidents do occasionally happen.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 04:45 pm
@camilozk,
the person holding the object
roger

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 05:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Don't you ever, ever hand me your precious Ming bowl.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 05:05 pm
@roger,
As soon as I get one ...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 07:47 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

The holder.

These things are known as accidents. Contrary to popular modern opinion, accidents do occasionally happen.

In the world of insurance the causer of an accident pays the insurance company for the cost incurred. It is called subrogation, I believe.

Accident is just a colloquial term to imply that everyone is not effectively safety conscious, so "it was an accident." Evolution is also based on an accident, implying no one is at fault for all of man's physical/mental/emotional limitations.

camilozk

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 02:51 am
@Foofie,
thanks @Foofie

And in your opinion? Left aside the world of insurance that is out of this hypothetical case?
Linkat

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 08:10 am
@camilozk,
The person who had the object in their hand (owner of the object I would assume) - they should have secured it before hugging. The other person may not even have known there was an object in the hand. But in either case, it is the responsibility of the person holding the object. Unless of course the other person tried to dislodge the object - but that is not the case.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 08:18 am
@camilozk,
camilozk wrote:

so;

two people that know each other meet. One of them has an object in his/her hand. not crazy expensive but with certain value, not only economical value.

they greet each other by hugging, and when they release their hug, by a clumsy movement the object falls to the ground.

the object is now damaged and has to be repaired. The repairment costs some money. not crazy money but some money.

Who has to pay for this?

I don't think it should be demanded by the owner of the item. Perhaps it is on the person as a sign of good gesture to offer to pay for it. However; I think it is the carelessness of the person who owned the item to be clumsy with their "valuable" item by not simply putting it safely away before the hug.

If you are careless with your property you can't complain when accidents happen and expect others to take responsibility for your carelessness.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 09:17 am
@camilozk,
camilozk wrote:

thanks @Foofie

And in your opinion? Left aside the world of insurance that is out of this hypothetical case?

I wasn't there, to see the actual hugging, so I cannot be judgemental. Nor do I know the relationship that correlated to this hug in question. Meaning, a hug that is just dramatic, for affect, is different than a hug that is between two emotionally close indidividuals. That difference could color a resolution, in my opinion. Sort of like acquiescing to someone that just wants to shake hands, because shaking hands is part of one's persona, as opposed to shaking hands in a more formal situation (i.e., concluding an agreement).
0 Replies