This Monday...

iGeo

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2015 03:46 pm
If today is Monday, and you say "This Monday I will eat out", then does "This Monday" refer to today or the following Monday? If one is specifically referring to the following Monday, one could simply just say "This following Monday" or "Next Monday", or if referring to today simply state "Today", but the question still remains. Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 480 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Slugfoot

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2015 03:58 pm
@iGeo,
I would say that "this Monday" works best if you point down at the ground when you say it. Dunno why.

I doubt that helps.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2015 04:19 pm
@iGeo,
Just as you've pointed out, it leads to confusion since it's typical to refer to the present day as "today."
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2015 04:39 pm
@iGeo,
Quote:
If today is Monday,..then does "This Monday" refer to today or the following Monday?
So ambiguous, Geo, hardly anybody would say it. Like you suggest, we'd better say "Today"

Quote:
...referring to the following [coming] Monday... one could simply just say "This following Monday" or "Next Monday"
Both ambiguous, equivocal, yet used by everyone at all times, one of my pet peeves

"Two Mondays from now" would be best, but nobody says it this way

If it's Sunday we might say "a week from tomorrow," but if it's Saturday all bets are off
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:38 am
@iGeo,

If today is Monday, then we would never refer to it as "this Monday", but only as "today".
"This Monday" means the next (upcoming) Monday.

If, on Monday, you say "I have a meeting for next Tuesday", you are not referring to the next day, but the following Tuesday, eight days hence.

I hope this helps.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 09:40 am
@McTag,
Quote:
If, on Monday, you say "I have a meeting for next Tuesday", you are not referring to the next day, but the following Tuesday, eight days hence.
But Mac, suppose it's Wed or Thu
McTag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 10:24 am
@dalehileman,

Keep taking the tablets, Dale.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 10:49 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Keep taking the tablets, Dale.
Coincidentally Mac, this morning they were all stuck together, nearly choked me to death

...for which some of us might wish to happen
0 Replies