Replacing Furnace

calvez

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 02:48 pm
I am considering replacing my furnace. However, I am not sure about the cost of new furnaces can any one help me out on this. also is it better to go with a high efficiency model or is a medium efficiency model good enough?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,039 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 03:09 pm
I'm not an expert, but just replacing a furnace isn't terribly expensive. Given the situation in the Middle East, I'd opt for paring fuel usage down to bare bones.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 04:55 pm
we had our oil-furnace replaced after 35 years of faithful service. we replaced it with a medium effiency oil-furnace. the estimator walked us through the calculations and did not think we would be able to make up the higher price with the only slightly reduced fuel-oil consumption . we did not switch to gas, because we think that houses with a gas-furnace have just a faint odour of natural gas, and also because there seems to be a somewhat higher chance of a malfunction - and possibly explosion(perhaps just our imagination !). there has been a fair amount of trouble with high-efficiency gas furnaces (apparently now fixed): this i learned from a neighbour who services furnaces(and has a high-effiency gas furnace). we have a fairly small bungalow (1,050 sq. ft.) so our consumption is pretty moderate (house is very well insulated; we live in eastern ontario, so good insulation is important - COLD WINTERS !). if you have a large house , perhaps you may want to look at a heat-pump. it's supposed to be the most economical when it comes to operating cost. in canada, the ministry of the environment (?) provides quite a bit of information on heating and cooling(i know there is a website out there, just don't have it handy). hbg
0 Replies