What is " banana hacks"?

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 07:43 pm
1) What is " banana hacks"?
2) Should "keep my bananas yellower" be "keep my bananas from becoming yellower"? The latter is redundant. But is the former proper English?

Context:

Update! Readers weighed in with a few banana hacks of their own, and we tried them out. Check out those results here.

For the past week, I’ve been channeling my inner Bill Nye (anyone?) and conducting a little experiment in my kitchen. The objective: to find a way to keep my bananas yellower (or, even better, greener) for longer.

The backstory: My house is one of those hot, sad places this time of year that doesn’t have air conditioning, so fruits and veggies left out on the counter turn ripe—and then, overripe—like, overnight. It would all be fine and well if I wanted to eat eight bananas in a sitting, but since my banana intake is exactly one per day—in my morning oatmeal, with walnuts, cinnamon and honey, if you were wondering—I needed to find a way to make them last longer.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2013/07/23/bananas-turning-brown/#xIl4G5GZVfIGc67Y.99
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 427 • Replies: 3
No top replies

FBM

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 07:59 pm
@oristarA,
A hack is sort of an unconventional, cheap trick or easy solution to a problem. The problem being hacked here is the fact that bananas turn brown pretty quickly.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 07:59 pm
@oristarA,
Proper English would have said "more yellow"

Banana Hacks. Just another example of silly "tips" Everything nowadays that helps you save time in any way is a "hack" don't know when that started.

When i just googled the word "hacks" the first two things that came up were:

1000 Life Hacks
1000lifehacks.com/
1000 life hacks is here to help you with the simple problems in life. Posting Life hacks daily to help you get through life slightly easier than the rest!

79 Hacks That Will Change Your Life - PopSugar
www.popsugar.com › Smart-living › Work-Life Balance
PopSugar
Jun 2, 2015 - ... life or at least some aspect of it. It's basically a trick that will help make life easier. Life hacks aren't easy to come by and often surface at the....

It's just silliness really OristarA, don't worry about it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 09:50 pm
@oristarA,
"Bill Nye, Science Guy" is a popular TV show where Bill Nye explains science to youths and adults simplified answers as to how certain things work.
0 Replies