TENNIS : WIMBLEDON : RUSSIA 1 USA 0

Col Man

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 08:52 am
Sharapova Stuns Serena to Take Title

WIMBLEDON (Reuters) - Teenager Maria Sharapova stunned champion Serena Williams 6-1, 6-4 in the Wimbledon final on Saturday to become the first Russian to win a singles title at the championships.
The 17-year-old also became only the second Russian woman to win a grand slam title, less than a month after Anastasia Myskina became the first at Roland Garros.

In the Open era, only Martina Hingis was younger than Sharapova when she won the women's singles title. The Swiss was 16 when she beat Jana Novotna in 1997.

Playing in her first grand slam final, Sharapova showed no early nerves and drew first blood by breaking the defending champion's serve to lead 3-1 after Serena ballooned a backhand long.

Serena, 22, was seeking her third successive Wimbledon singles crown but was unable to cope with the brute force of the 17-year-old's groundstrokes.

Sharapova broke again for 5-1 with a searing backhand winner and kept her composure to take the first set on her fourth set point when Serena netted a forehand service return.

The 13th seed maintained her momentum at the start of the second set and a shell-shocked Serena was struck on the nose by the ball after one particularly venomous groundstroke from the Siberian.

With both players troubled by the gusty wind, Serena thought she had wrested away the initiative when she broke for 4-2 but Sharapova defiantly broke straight back.

In a epic ninth game, Serena grittily saved three set points but Sharapova secured the decisive break when the American slipped and hooked a forehand out.

The fearless Russian then completed an astonishing victory on her second match point when Serena netted a forehand and she greeted her triumph by collapsing to her knees in tears in disbelief.

Sharapova's victory is the first for a non-American in the women's final since Czech Novotna in 1998, which is also the last year neither Venus or Serena held one of the four grand slam titles between them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,711 • Replies: 23
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 09:05 am
Like every man in America I was particularly impressed with Sharapova's cleavage as she bent down to receive the serve. Damn! That gal is not only talented but she's HOT. I also noticed her fierce determination. Every time she scored a shot she would clench her fist and give us an intense look. I guarantee she will soon be doing mega endorsements!
0 Replies

rasputin

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:55 pm
NickFun wrote:
Like every man in America I was particularly impressed with Sharapova's cleavage as she bent down to receive the serve. Damn! That gal is not only talented but she's HOT. I also noticed her fierce determination. Every time she scored a shot she would clench her fist and give us an intense look. I guarantee she will soon be doing mega endorsements!

totally agree with you on that. didn't realize she was hot until I actually saw the match. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:35 am
Sharapova Embarrassed
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:22 am
yeahhhhhhhh...
http://www.terra.com.mx/galeria_de_fotos/images/88/174814.jpg
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:55 am
That's a good picture Region but it doesn't show enough of her in her "waiting stance".
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 11:01 am
use your imagination, comrade...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:43 pm
Mr. Green
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:19 pm
no imagination required...

the guard shows us where to put it Laughing

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1224913.jpg
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:14 pm
What a fabulous, uplifting personal story--

I used to dislike Russian wins in international sports, because I envisioned them herded around by the Soviets, and treated like automatons...

This girl marks a departure from that. I was happy for Russia, though she's lived in the US for most of her life--it gives them something to be proud of. I think they could use it.

Serena and her sister have dominated for so long--and during their ascension, I was happy for them and for the good feelings blacks must have had about their triumphs (it was the bastion of one ethnic group for so long)--but those girls have become increasingly interested and involved with modelling and acting. I guess you have to be single-minded, like the new champ to stay on top.

I do think if Serena wanted it badly enough--she could retake her throne. But, I don't care if she does. I like the new Russian star.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:22 pm
A Russian woman won the French Open, and there are four Russian women in the top 20. I think they're doing okay...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:38 pm
Good for them.

Now, if they can do something about everything else...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:47 pm
I guess it's OK to root for the cute Russians, eh, Sofia?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 05:01 pm
At this point, I root for anything to make the Russian people happy. I'm concerned about them.

The days of the Broomhilda with a unibrow are obviously over.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 07:38 pm
Sofia wrote:
What a fabulous, uplifting personal story--

As we can see from the picture of the policeman doing his own uplifting! :wink:
0 Replies

fixitwizard

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:18 pm
Sharapova
The 'Waiting Stance" Refreshing, like a breath of fresh air!

http://www.macatawa.org/~pcvenlet/shara.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:42 am
hey now, fixitwizard!

welcome to a2k...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:29 am
Now THAT'S a quality picture!
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 09:32 am
maybe im alone on this but i find grown men panting at the sight of an underage girl a tad disturbing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 10:10 am
i won't officially begin panting until 4/19/05
(the day she turns 18) Mr. Green
0 Replies