Brando: He, too, was a pioneer

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 01:04 pm
Absolutely, amazing, ezrider (like your handle). Great pictures, too. How very romantic the tall ships are, broken mast and all.

Sea-Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a gray mist on the sea's face, and a gray dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like
a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

John Masefield.

Sorry, got carried away.

I'll be back to check the links. Certainly do appreciate the information. I saw the movie, but I've forgotten quite a bit of it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 01:45 pm
Wow! That Pitcairn site was indeed fascinating. Just a rock claimed by Britain. The bit about the bees was interesting, too.
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 04:04 pm
I'm kind of hoping,that a DVD version of the 62 Mutiny will come out soon.

And yes that love scene melody IS hauntingly beautiful!

http://home.mchsi.com/~ezysk/LOVE.jpg

Quote:

The 1962 version of "Mutiny on the Bounty" is a magnificent movie, containing stunning photography. Vast panoramas of blue ocean, endless skies, lush green tropical islands, and, most of all, the ship itself (which was built specifically for this film). The song "Follow Me", is one of the most hauntingly beautiful melodies ever written for the screen. It makes you "feel" Tahiti.

It was during the filming of "Mutiny on the Bounty" (1962) that Marlon Brando discovered Tahiti was of his greatest loves. The beauty of the Polonaise people and the land totally enthralled him. Above all, he noticed the faces of the natives, unspoiled by the corruption of modern civilization. Their unbridled zest for life intrigued him, and for years he romanticized their culture. Eventually, he purchased a small island, called Teti'aroa. It is there that he is at his most content. Over the years he has spent a great deal of time, effort and money trying to make the island self efficient.
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/ccarey/bindex.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 04:15 pm
Pity that he died in California, ez.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:41 am
Welcome to A2K and the film forum, ezrider. The musical soundtrack to "Mutiny on the Bounty" was one of the few films where the music outshowed the movie itself. Take that away and those romantic scenes would look like a travelogue. I liked Brando's portrayal, at least better than the scowling, angst ridden Mel Gibson run. On equal, though, to the Clark Gable performance.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:57 am
Mr. Wizard. I remember well:

Mistah Christian. The rest is foggy. Razz
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 12:25 pm
But we're talking about "Mistah Christian." Are you referring to which Captain Bligh? One of Anthony Hopkins more exasperatingly mannered performance in "The Bounty." Some have written that it's the most psychologically evil Bligh but I don't think that's what the story needs at all. Bligh is really a simple militaristic persona and Christian is the insurgent for his own psychological well being. He trashes everything he thought he stood for to be in paradise which I think he believed was a better world. I think that was at the height of Hopkin's problems with alcohol or shortly thereafter. The meanest Captain Bligh was surely Trevor Howard. That austere grimace was chilling.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 12:50 pm
Hmmm. Didn't Charles Laughton play Captain Bligh to Clark's Christian?

Good grief, Mr. Wizard. How do you expect me to keep all them characters straight. I'm just a child. lol
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 02:19 pm
If that's the film you were talking about.

Laughton and Gable
Howard and Brando
Gibson and Hopkins
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 02:31 pm
I didn't watch Mel Gibson's version...but I remember Laughton's mouth in the Clark Gable movie. Barely remember the Brando one. Isn't that odd?

I must not have been impressed with Brando's performance, but as do we all, I was going through my tropical island phase at that time, and I was a Brando fan sooooooo. My husband didn't like him at all. Called him hambone...lol
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 02:46 pm
I can see where Brando's approach to many parts as seeming hammy or at least on the brink. He considered acting a craft of a calibre he was reluctant to compare to other professions. If you take his scenes out of the mediocre films he was in, they hold up a lot better than in the context of the film. It seemed like in several cases he was in a different movie. This happened to a degree with his Fletcher Christian. It makes the performances look like they don't fit in.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 02:50 pm
Hey, a good example is "Teahouse of the August Moon," just not nearly as effectively funny as the average high school production. Take Brando's scenes as seperate considerations and forgetting the rather obvious makeup and it's actually a very compelling character. It make it look like the other actors simply weren't trying enough and, in fact, none of them were ever good in comedies except Paul Ford (actually most of cast was Japanese). Well, including Brando of course until his replay of Don Corleone in "The Freshman."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 02:53 pm
Well, Mr. Wizard. The advent of method acting was quite new, and it took the public a bit to grasp it. I just know that I came to admire Brando as a person.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:43 pm
I think the technique was so well publicized in every movie magazine and journal that some moviegoers would not just relax and enjoy the performance. Some of us do have analytical personalities and it can get in away of simply just appreciating the effort as a viscerally emotional experience.
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:48 pm
Its well known of course regarding Hollywood's predilection of taking liberty with historical facts. One point of interest that is hardly ever mentioned as a result, is the fact that Captain Bligh was one of the world's greatest navigators, and it was not entirely his fault that Bounty's crewman, went "native" during their prolonged stay on Tahiti.

I still got a kick of Trevor Howard's magnificent performance of Captain Bligh, especially in that ship's cabin dinner scene, when they where discussing the severe flogging of a seaman, to which Captain Bligh replied:

"My point is that cruelty with purpose is NOT cruelty....its efficiency!"

This scene conversation from Apocalypse Now by the freaky war correspondent Dennis Hopper describing the soon to be assinated Colonel Walter E. Kurtz, could have been a great Brando epitaph:

Quote:
"You know something, man, I know something that you don't know. That's right, jack. The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad. Oh yeah. He's dying, I think. He hates all this, he hates it! But ... the man's ... uh ... he reads poetry out loud, alright? ... And a voice! A voice. ... He likes you because you're still alive. He's got plans for you. Nah, nah, I'm not going to help you, you're going to help him, man. You're going to help him. I mean, what are they going to say, man, when he's gone, huh? Because he dies, when it dies, man, when it dies, he dies. What are they going to say about him? What, are they going to say, he was a kind man, he was a wise man, he had plans, he had wisdom? Bullshit, man! Am I going to be the one, that's going to set them straight? Look at me: wrong! ... You!"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:59 pm
ezrider. When I saw that movie, it was just after my surrogate nephew had died. It was too much to take in. Jack Nicholson and those suspenders, and as many would say, gallowses. Goodnight...from Florida
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 03:26 pm
Pitcairn island women defend sex with minors

BY NEIL TWEEDIE

September 29, 2004

PITCAIRN ISLAND -- Women on the tiny Pacific island of Pitcairn, where seven men stand trial today on charges of sexually abusing minors, said Tuesday it was perfectly normal for girls to have sex as early as 12.

Prosecutors misunderstood the island's culture, which condoned consensual sex with under-16-year-olds, they said.

Fourteen women, almost all the British island's adult females, called a press conference to defend their men. Attending were the six journalists who have travelled to the island.

Many carry the last name Christian, inherited through blood or marriage from Fletcher Christian, the leader of the famous mutiny against British Navy Capt. William Bligh. Christian founded the community in 1790 with eight other mutineers from the British ship Bounty and their Tahitian lovers.

Carol Warren, 51, admitted to having sex with men on the island at the age of 12. It was, she says, not unusual at the time and did not indicate a sexually violent society. The girls were as responsible as the men.

"I was a wild one then and I wanted it," she says. "We know better now, and I would never recommend that for girls now, but it was the way then."

The seven defendants -- half of what they refer to as the viable males -- are accused of a range of sexual offenses, including rape, against young girls stretching back over 35 years.

The trial has placed the future of the remote speck of rock in the South Pacific on the line.

The defendants have been central to Pitcairn's tenuous economy, manning the longboats used to trade with passing ships. In a society where men dominate, they are the leaders.

Daily Telegraph
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 03:45 pm
Wow.

My favorite Brando performance will always be his Don Corleone.
"Look at how they massacred my boy."
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:33 pm
Some of these so called current 'presidential candidates' could very well make use of, and for the good of the nation as well....one of Don Corleone's famous quotes:

[size=28]THIS WAR STOPS NOW![/size]
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:44 pm
I have since discovered that Brando was not destitute at all. The presidential debates will begin in Miami, and most Jeanne victims won't give a hot damn, nor will Brando. Do you know that he was good friends with Michael Jackson? I would like to have met that man. Can't say that about many celebrities.
0 Replies