Brando: He, too, was a pioneer

Col Man

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:47 pm
im not so much of a film buff either so i feel a bit out of place with all you knowledgeable film dudes Shocked
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:52 pm
um anyway what about you duchess letty?
tell me more about your good self
and you wizard of light..what about you?
i know you like films Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:57 pm
"Paint Your Wagon," BTW also nearly bankrupted Paramount for the second time. Eastwood personally considers it the most embarassing part of his career even over those ridiculous monkey movies.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 04:16 pm
bedtime for me
see ya tomorrow Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 04:24 pm
Nighty-night! Don't feel out-of-place or intimidated by anyone here who has more of a movie knowledge. Anyone obviously offering innocent comments that are erroneous will likely be given a pass. Those who should know better may get some flack.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 04:35 pm
Well, all. This thread has taken off, and I am delighted.

As I once told someone, who is now gone, I am your friend and your confidant...and I will always be 39 in my mind. The duchess was an epithet that he bestowed on me as I dubbed him, "The Brat"...

And Rick of Israel, who is living somewhere in the Netherlands is a mere seventeen.

Mr. Brando, " In pace requiescat"....a magnificent enigma
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 04:37 pm
What was the Brando movie wherein he played the fat bounty hunter?

how many movies did he make?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 04:47 pm
Not that many considering someone like Michael Caine -- only 42:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000008/

When one reviews the list they can decide whether he made more boners in taking parts than one may first remember. (Yes, take that anyway you want considering "Reflections in a Golden Eye.")
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:05 pm
I like him in 20 of his movies. That doesn't mean I liked all 20 of the movies.

But, you'll notice also that he was away from movies for 8 consecutive years. I remember reading that he appeared in "Desiree" because of contract commitments. I think he chose Countess from Hong Kong because Chaplin wrote and directed it (that's on my "don't like" list).

I remember when Brando backed out of "The Egyptian" and Purdom took the role. That would have been interesting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:30 pm
I always love "The Egyptian" and then realized on one viewing that it was the Bernard Hermann and Alfred Newman soundtrack and that the movie basically sucked. Cannot believe that would have helped his career as the dialogue is really awful.

"Oh, Nefer, Nefer, Nefer" was borrowed by DeMille in "The Ten Commandments" with "Oh, Moses, Moses, Moses." I think Hitchcock almost parodied it in "Vertigo" with, "Stupid, stupid, stupid."

His second rate performances are better than many actor's best performance.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:34 pm
In 1965,
in Thomas Haas' acting class at Emerson College,

(Henry Winkler was a student, I was a student Rolling Eyes ),

the taxi cab scene was played.....
we watched as Brando's heart broke in front of us....
"I could have been somebody....."
...."You shoulda watched out for me, you were my brother......"

when the scene finished, Dr. Haas asked if there were any questions...
several hands flew into the air....
in answer.....

he asked that the scene be played again. ...........

After .......

he asked if there were any questions.....

two hands went up.

They were asked to leave.....

Acting had been in existence for 2000 years

and Brando .....

changed it completely.....

Finally, a picasso arrived on the screen,

Joe
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:04 pm
Joe Nation: I love your story.

Lightwizard wrote:
I always love "The Egyptian" and then realized on one viewing that it was the Bernard Hermann and Alfred Newman soundtrack and that the movie basically sucked. Cannot believe that would have helped his career as the dialogue is really awful.

Oh yes, unintentionally funny, but it didn't seem so when I first saw it. I had read the book and adored Brando at the time. I was so hoping he'd get the role. (I've often wondered what Bella Darvi thought after she saw herself in those headdresses.) But ,that was then and we've come a long way.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:27 pm
These are all from Salon.com:

Quote:
"... the summer (of 1942) was spent on the beach and attending parties, at one of which I met Marlon Brando. At eighteen he was indescribably attractive, but shy and tense. Two years later we met again at a party of Tennessee's [Williams] in a ballroom on Irving Place in New York, just before Marlon got the role of Stanley Kowalski in 'A Streetcar Named Desire.' Hundreds of people milled about or danced to the all-black jazz band. I was standing alone when Marlon approached. 'Don't I know you from somewhere?' he drawled, sizing me up with intense interest.

"'Yeah,' I said with a grin. 'Provincetown. We met once.'"

--Harold Norse, poet

Quote:
"Janice Mars and I rented an apartment at 37 West 52nd Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues (in 1945) ...

"One of our more frequent guests was a young actor who was making his mark in the theater and soon would answer the call of Hollywood. His nickname was 'Bud' and Bud had made a splash in 'I Remember Mama.' He'd go on to do 'Candida' with Katharine Cornell and in 1947 would hit the jackpot playing Stanley Kowalski in 'A Streetcar Named Desire.' Marlon Brando was a great actor and a charter member of the 37 West 52nd Street regulars. Marlon was an original golden boy and you knew he was going to be big time just by the way he looked. Dames chased him and more often than not he'd let himself be caught. He was always wallowing in women. He'd drop by with his girl of the moment, and then go off and leave her with us. We were supposed to pick up the pieces. I spent hours -- days!-- listening to those poor girls sighing over Bud. Janice and I became professionals at doling out tea and sympathy to Marlon's exes. Believe me, they needed plenty of tea and plenty of sympathy -- he was something to sigh about.

"Not only did Bud hang around the apartment, he'd sleep there too. He kept his drums in the closet and would haul them out and start banging away when the mood suited him. Eventually he rented a second-floor apartment in our brownstone ...

--Maureen Stapleton, actor

Quote:
"In addition to helping Broadway actors make a painless transition to film, I was taking on such challenges as negotiating a raise for the likes of Marlon Brando, who was then making his Broadway debut in 'I Remember Mama.' Marlon was having a rough time getting by on sixty-five dollars a week. The extra ten I got him made a difference.

"Even if I had only gotten him five dollars more, I suspect that Brando would have kept coming to my office with his girlfriend, Blossom Plumb. The two of them would arrive -- Brando in an old trench coat -- and take chairs in opposite corners of the room. They wouldn't speak, just listen to me making deals on the phone. After a few hours, they'd leave. Next day, same routine. It definitely gave me the idea that Brando was taking notes on my 'character.' Although he did, in later years, develop an agent's instinct for getting his money first and fast, he fortunately never got a part that enabled him to use whatever he learned from me."

--Irving (Swifty) Lazar, literary and show business agent

Quote:
"I went up for a part in a play called 'Truckline Cafe.' I didn't get it. Bitter, I went to see the play, watched another actor play my role. I loved the first two acts -- he was terrible. He mumbled, you couldn't hear what he was saying. I congratulated myself on how much better I would have been. Suddenly, in the third act, he erupted, electrifying the audience. I thought, 'My God, he's good!' and looked in the program for his name: Marlon Brando."

--Kirk Douglas, actor

Quote:
"I first met Marlon Brando in 1947 when I was casting 'Streetcar.' I had very little money at the time and was living simply in a broken-down house near Provincetown [Mass.]. I had a houseful of people, the plumbing was flooded, and someone had blown the light fuse. Someone said a kid named Brando was down on the beach and looked good. He arrived at dusk, wearing Levi's, took one look at the confusion around him, and set to work. First he stuck his hand into the overflowing toilet bowl and unclogged the drain, then he tackled the fuses. Within an hour, everything worked. You'd think he had spent his entire antecedent life repairing drains. Then he read the script aloud, just as he played it. It was the most magnificent reading I ever heard, and he had the part [of Stanley Kowalski] immediately. He stayed the night, slept curled up with an old quilt in the center of the floor."

--Tennessee Williams, playwright

Quote:
"... hit Stillman's gym every day.

"... I spots this young blond kid always watching me train ... the first thing I think about. Gotta be a fag..."

"He looks like the kinda guy you find delivering groceries for a high-class grocery store ..."

" ... I go away an' come back and the next day an' there's this guy, maybe leaning against a post, watching me for a long time. He's got on a T-shirt, worn-out sneakers, and dungarees. He's dressed just like the kids dress today, only in those days when you dressed like that you were down 'n out ... a bum.

"Before ya know it, he's bringing me my towel when I need it, and he's asking me real nice if I teach him how to stand and t'row a few punches, and maybe spar with him a lil bit ..."

"I say, 'Eh, what's ya name?' and he says, 'Bud.' I look at the kid kinda funny, an he says, 'Lotta people call me Buddy.' That sound better when I think of the song, 'Buddy, Can You Spare a Dime?'...

"... 'I'm in a play,' he tells me. He says, 'You know, Rock, you could do me a big favor if you come and see me. I get you two of the best seats in the house, on the arm..."

"After the curtain goes up [on 'A Streetcar Named Desire'] an everything's happening, I get the shock of my life. This kid I been sendin' on errands is the star. Jesus, that's him, that's the kid I been sparring with in the gym. ..."

--Rocky Graziano, middleweight boxer

Quote:
"Marlon Brando already had quite a reputation among theater people as a brilliant actor because of a small part he'd done in Truckline Café, in which he had one scene and flashed across the stage like sexual lightning. He also had another extraordinary reputation, but I figured it couldn't be true because when did he have time?..."

" ...Marlon invited me to dinner at his...new apartment one night after my show....

"It was really a cold-water flat, there was ice on the inside of the windows! Marlon was lifting weights in an untorn long-sleeved gray sweat shirt and asked me to take my coat off. 'I'll keep it on,' I said.

"Marlon had a goddamned raccoon in a cage, and I think it was wearing some other raccoon's fur coat, it was so cold in there. And it smelled so bad I immediately told Marlon I couldn't stay unless he put it in the bathroom. Marlon explained that the bathroom was just a toilet and was even colder than the living room, which had the smallest electric heater I had ever seen....Marlon compromised by putting the raccoon in the small bathtub next to the kitchen sink. He put a wooden door over it; then he put the heater under the sink, aimed at the bathtub to keep the damned raccoon warm..."

--Shelley Winters, actor

Quote:
"... with no real boys to answer our pubescent yearnings, we spent our free time indulging in fantasies about Marlon Brando. 'On the Waterfront' had propelled him to the number one position as leading man ..."

"... We were outside his house. Our hearts were beating in syncopated rhythms ..."

"... an old man with a limp exited his house and joined another man who waited outside in a car. We were so grateful for any action it didn't matter who it was. Someone had been in his house and come out! Then it occurred to us -- it was Brando! He was wearing a disguise ... We tailed him for about a quarter of a mile.

"... When we got to the place where Coldwater Canyon intersects, his car slowed down and a hand motioned from the passenger window for us to follow to a wide spot on the side of the road ... We came to a halt about two car lengths behind, and watched, slack-jawed, as Marlon Brando opened the car door and made his way toward us. The limp was gone, so was the gray wig. He was looking straight at us with his head sort of down and his eyes kind of up. There was a smile on his Marlon Brando face, a smile that could have meant anything. He never broke eye contact with us. (I'm pretty sure he was looking at me, but then I bet everyone in the car thought the same for herself.) He walked to us in the slowest, sexiest walk I'd ever seen.

"He bent over, both hands on his knees, scanned the passengers for a moment, and then looking down at his feet said, 'Don't you girls have anything better to do on a Saturday night?' We giggled, cleared throats, and made attempts at responses, but none of us was able. "

--Mary Tyler Moore, actor
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:51 pm
Joe and PDiddie. Fantastic stories and references. I got caught up in the name of Bella Darvi from The Egyptian. In my mind, I equate her with the woman from Stargate with Kurt Russell and James Spader. Both characters remind me of each other.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 08:07 am
i found a list of brandos films
most of them were b4 i was born

there are 40 of them

The Men, 1950
A Streetcar Named Desire, 1951
Viva Zapata!, 1952
Julius Caesar, 1953
The Wild One, 1954
On the Waterfront, 1954
Desiree, 1954
Guys and Dolls, 1955
The Teahouse of the August Moon, 1956
Sayonara, 1957
The Young Lions, 1958
The Fugitive Kind, 1960
One-Eyed Jacks, 1961 (also director)
Mutiny on the Bounty, 1962
The Ugly American, 1963
Bedtime Story, 1964
Morituri, 1965
The Chase, 1966
The Appaloosa, 1966
The Countess From Hong Kong, 1967
Reflections in a Golden Eye, 1967
Candy, 1968
The Night of the Following Day, 1969
The Nightcomers, 1971
The Godfather, 1972
Last Tango in Paris, 1972
The Missouri Breaks, 1976
Superman, 1978
Apocalypse Now, 1979
The Formula, 1980
A Dry White Season, 1989
The Freshman, 1990
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery, 1992
Don Juan DeMarco, 1995
The Island of Dr. Moreau, 1996
The Brave, 1997
Free Money, 1998
The Score, 2001
Apocalypse Now Redux, 2001
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 11:45 am
Hey, Col. Happy pre Fourth of July. You Brits do have a Fourth of July, you know.

Don't know if you get American Movie Classics in Leeds, but many of those films will probably start to appear and reappear since Brando's death.

See what you miss by being so young? Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 08:00 pm
I first saw "The Egyptian" at Grauman's Chinese Theater (why didn't it open at The Egyptian across the street we'll never know!)

I've told this story before and just related it by PM:

"On the Waterfront" should be in my top ten movies -- I always tell the story of just moving to Laguna Beach, CA and there was a cocktail bar on the sand at Main Beach. They would play classic movies every Thursday night with a projector yet! One night I walked in after work and it was "On the Waterfront." The waves were breaking outside the door and the night was cool and lanquid. I will never forget it. Oh, okay, so I also met someone!
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:45 am
Brando's presence on the screen was incomparable. Rarely does one see and enjoy an actor, whose artistic and poetic expression comes from deep within himself.

Some of my favorites were, The Wild One, The Ugly American,Burn,and of course the iconic Godfather,that many say is the greatest movie with the greatest actor of all time. BUT whenever I watch: "Mutiny On The Bounty" somehow I get very sentimental, with its fantastic score,idylic settings, and Brando's love scenes that BLOW ME AWAY!
http://home.mchsi.com/~ezysk/BRANDO.jpgWHERE Is The Bounty Today?

....One of Brando's remarkable interviews with Larry King:

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0308/02/lklw.00.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:06 am
Hey, ezrider. Welcome to A2K. I think I saw that interview with Larry King. Was that the one where Brando was sittin' all rared back and barefoot? One fantastic actor with no pretense.

We had a friend who actually tried to buy Pitcairn Island from the British. Loved it.
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 12:25 pm
There's actually a Pitcairn Island Web Site that is quite fascinating.

The best HMS Bounty Resouce Site has tons of facts, pictures, and additional links.

I personally had the opportunity to visit and board the Bounty during its Tall Ships Chicago 2003 tour. NOTICE the broken front mast. This happened as it attempted to navigate underneath a Chicago bridge.
http://home.mchsi.com/~ezysk/BOUNTY2.jpg
0 Replies