I found an interesting painting

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:53 pm
Years ago I purchased a painting at a garage sale. The sale was at the home of an eighty year old woman who had recently died and her kids were selling off some of the items.

I purchased a pencil drawing done by a local businessman who had died a few years earlier. I'm assuming he had signed the sketch for this woman and she placed it in the frame.

The reason I bought it was because the frame was obviously quite old and on the back, on very old cardboard was a tag which read...

Carman Studio, Inc.
Antiques
1513 Wisconsin Avenue N.W.
Washington 7 D.C.

I thought there might be another painting underneath, so I paid the two dollars and took the painting home. I never did get around to looking behind the print, until today.

I was correct -- there was another painting behind the sketch.

It is a painting of a military operation with these words in block letter printed beneath the painting...

LANDING OF THE AMERICAN FORCES UNDER GENERAL SCOTT

AT VERA CRUZ

MARCH 9TH 1847

What do you suppose I have here, if anything? Where might a person have this appraised? Or would that be a waste of time?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,082 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:01 pm
Does "Antiques Roadshow" swing by your swamp?
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 09:13 pm
Would be interesting to research the date and any related military arrival at Vera Cruz.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:20 am
Gustav, if you weren't such a joker I'd be salivating right now.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:28 am
Gus, if this is a true story it sounds like you have an interesting piece there. If your story is a hoax, I'm going to 'brush' you off... Razz
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:07 am
how many american troops would fit under GENERAL SCOTT?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:15 am
True story, folks. If anything develops, I'll let you know.
0 Replies

abryant

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:05 pm
There are probably many dealers in a city near you that could help you. Also, look up a local historian, or look it up yourself. Smile
0 Replies