Bill Cosby...stirring it up!

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:14 pm
Check out Bill..

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2004/07/01/bill_cosby_has_more_harsh_words_for_black_community/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,527 • Replies: 104
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:16 pm
Cosby seeks to be constructive when he says these things. I hope his words will be taken in that vein.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 09:30 pm
I'm just wondering if anyone will call those remarks racist...if a white guy said it all hell would break loose.
0 Replies

Elmtree

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 09:49 pm
My only problem with Bill's statements were the forum in which they were said - after all, he is no Chris Rock.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 09:50 pm
I think he's trying to motivate people to do better for themselves. And he can get away with those statements because he's black, and famous. I don't think that is a bad thing.
0 Replies

Elmtree

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:01 pm
My only concern is that Bill Cosby's reality is far removed from those about which he spoke.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:03 pm
That's one thing I thought. His comments about wages might not come across well due to his own affluence.

A pity, because he's gettin' it said. And unfortunately his wealth may make people write off his words as being an uncle tom.
0 Replies

Elmtree

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:10 pm
Exactly. Some effectiveness is inevitably lost when you preach about the stupidity of $500 sneakers while at the same time donning a $2000 tux...

Does he not see his own affluence as pertinent (or contradictory) to his conclusions?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:20 pm
But without his fame and his affluence, he wouldn't have any effect at all. I think if he can make any kind of positive change, he's doing a service to people. It's inevitable that he's going to alienate somebody when he talks so bluntly like that. But I think he's looked up to by a lot of people too.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:35 pm
Could this be a preview of the Jesse Jackson/Bill Cosby presidential ticket? Smile
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:35 pm
Bill is saying what needs to be said. I give him and people like Oprah and Dr. Benjamin Carson a lot of credit for telling black people like it is.

Ever since his son was murdered, I don't think Bill Cosby has the sense of humor he had before that tragedy happened. Bill was a great comic. His ablum 'Bill Cosby Himself' is a classic.

Mr. Cosby has worked very hard to be where he is today. He has every right to wear a $2,000 tux if he so chooses. He has made many contributions both in time and money to various causes that benefit people of all nations and all colors.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:47 pm
I'm reacting to Cosby's statements somewhat similar to the people that posted on this thread. I think he's too far removed from the realities of how and why blacks and other minorities have difficulty trying to "make it" in this country. People that are struggling don't need more criticism, but solutions.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 11:07 pm
Shocked
Quote:
"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."
Shocked Whitey better not get caught talking like that... not even on A2K.

Didn't he buy up all the Little Rascals rights, and destroy the film... or is that an urban legend?... eh, nope. That is an Urban Legend (thanks Craven, for showing me Snopes).
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 11:24 pm
Several years ago when Bill won an Emmy and a black reporter asked him how todays black sitcoms are different from previous ones Cosby said 'we spoke english'.

Go Fat Albert!!!

ci...Cosby was giving 'constructive criticism'. And he, more than most, is more than qualified to do so. For many black people, the solution lies within themselves. That is what Bill was telling them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 11:32 pm
doglover, I'm sure they've heard that message many times from both black and whites. Constructive criticism doesn't seem to be working very well.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 11:36 pm
Just because everyone doesn't follow Cosby's advice doesn't mean he isn't getting through to some in his listening audience. If only 5% of those hearing his words 'get it' then it's worth it. The rest will just have to learn the hard way...or never learn at all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 11:40 pm
If Cosby has that much influence from admonishing blacks, more power to him! I'm too much of a skeptic to think he can move 5 percent of blacks to change their lives from his "speech."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 11:42 pm
What I have observed is to approach children early in their lives, and promise them a college education if they graduate from high school with good grades. I've seen this work in poor neighborhoods.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 04:41 am
What we have to remember is that black Americans are as varied in their economic status, education and achievement as it is possible to get. Many have been able to get up in life the same as anybody else. There are also many who are still trapped in the grasp of Jim Crow, who are being told to not be trapped by people with no grasp of the situation. Cosby's words will be well taken by segments of the population who just need a push. Those truly trapped are in real need of help that they will probably not receive.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:32 am
Part of the problem is that trash talking and other aspects of inner city life have been glamorized. For the hip hop stars, this is profitable. For the majority of inner city youth, personifying the ghetto is a guaranteed dead end.
0 Replies