The Bachelorette

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 09:53 am
Well -- I think it was pretty demeaning and objectifying of the men -- & it's about time :wink:

I thought some of the guys were handsome or as we used to say back in school, telegenic (good looking & even more so via TV). Some though weren't, which is typical because not everyone is blessed this way. I'm certainly not, so I empathize.

A few of the guys said stuff about watching her on the first show, that was pretty sappy, some of it bordering on slightly scary.
Like if there weren't cameras there and the whole thing, I don't know how well it would fly in real life but that's just the whole TV factor thing again.
And I was surprised so many guys in this demographic (most of them late 20's through mid 30's), had actually watched "The Bachelor." I thought ABC was going for all the lovelorn Gen X chicks and older women,
pull the heart strings demographics...Maybe these guys tuned into check out the chicks and stayed for the eye candy?
Either that, or it was all lines about seeing her on TV, just to have something to break the ice -- but they sounded too silly & again sappy to be made up, so I tend to think they were sincere.
Especially that short, computer programmer guy with the half goatee, yeek.

The guy who gave her the Tiffany's box, was very smart and calculating.
Had to love the reactions from most of the guys, not so much that he did it, but kicking themselves that they didn't think of it.
But he's a writer so that might totally be like bait or something but I knew he'd definitely made the cut by that alone.
I loved the cowboy's reaction to the whole thing, re: women and gifts, saying something like, "Women just aren't that stupid."
What a backhanded compliment, I was like; he's gotta make the cut too, and he did!

Some of the guys looked really visibly nervous, i.e. shaking when they met her, etc. And during the "rose" ceremony --
She looked like she was going to fall apart at times, I'm pretty sure she must of hurt of a few of them pinning on the roses and drew blood, etc.
The reaction shots of the guys watching the ceremony were the worst,
it was excruciating, some looked so upset, wounded, others full of hatred/glaring, etc. Definitely was glad for her that there were cameras & crew there to protect her.

A coworker and I traded email opinions and she thinks "the Bachelorette" is a flake. Not defending her or anything, but I think anyone would look flakey with this concept. Have drinks for a few hours with 25 guys and pick 15 possible future husbands? Even if they edited down 4 hours of tape to less than one hour, there's no way every guy in that room, got quality time with her or a real shot at her. Even if they did each get equal time with her, which I doubt, that's some quick first impression decision making, with the added pressure of the cameras.

Therefore, the whole thing has to be judgment via the superficial stuff,
(which they totally know because they signed up for this),
and the guys who were more aggressive did the best,
(and probably the ones most comfortable on camera too).
Many of the guys in their sound bytes, admitted the agressive guys had the edge; some regrettably.
Just so sad, but I have to say I'm glad it's on; at least for equal time,
showing both genders can be desperate.
Two of "the dismissed" were on "Good Morning America" this morning,
but I left too early to see them, so I don't know if they cut her down or not. All right, getting down off the soap box now.

Please feel free to share your opinions, thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,895 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 11:05 am
Well, I probably should butt out here, not thaving seen the show, edithdoll, but perhaps you can help me understand the appeal of these reality shows. I have seen bits of some, moments when the competitors talk to the viewer, saying things like, "I just think Kristin is being too aggressive--she should mellow out" or whatever.

And I think to myself, these people are so average. Why is this interesting? I know I'm out of step, because these shows are so popular. But what's the deal?
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:03 pm
Hi. No I see what you mean, I don't particularly like them myself, especially these that seem to foster mean competitions, belittlement and embarassment. The problem with these so called shows is now they are at C level and they aren't really real at all.

Years ago MTV started the Real World and its Sister Show road rules, that sort of got the ball rolling. Both are way over their prime and the producers have resulted to awful tactics.

However, people competing for prize money or just for exhibitionism sake (generally thinking MTV here) to become part of pop culture or be discovered are all parts of the problem. But these show those that are seeking to marry people off, or other wise match make are most disturbing to me.

The concept of "The Bachelor" to me is more like "The Disney Harem show" because it has that Arabian nights feeling, amuse me or you will be killed (not literally of course) they are just dismissed.
Many of the reality shows still pull in major ratings and I guess as long as they do, they will be on the air. Pandering to lowness and base levels is a trend that's not going away. That whole thing about never underestimating the public seems startlingly true.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:10 pm
Thanks, edithdoll, for the explanation. I saw an article in the NY Times the other day that suggested that some of these shows may be getting in trouble because of lawsuits. These are the ones that involve danger: Some contestants have been hurt and feel they were mistreated. And other shows, like the new Candid Camera, have been sued when the unwitting participants are injured or humiliated.

As far as the dating shows, I have no sympathy for the contestants--they have to be fully aware of the potential for embarrassment. I'm not sure about "Joe Millionaire"--with women competing for a guy who we know isn't really rich--because clearly the show depends on their innocence of the premise.

I guess for someone who claims he never watches these show, I spend a lot of time reading about them. It's all for research purposes, of course! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:43 pm
Yep I watched it too - it's sort of like an accident, I can't look away!
I do agree that these reality jobbies are getting sucky. I do, however, still like Survivor and American Idol and will continue to watch those.

I think that whatsername on The Bachelorette is going to have a nervous breakdown before the show ends. The fact that she was in tears after only the first dismissal was a bad sign. I don't know how she is going to handle the rest of it!

However I did find it amusing that one guy absolutely glared at her after not receiving a rose and I laughed out loud. The word "stalker" flashed through my brain. Hey these are the chances the guys take going on a show like this. Prepare to get your heart/feelings trampled even if she tries to do it as nicely as possible.

As for the Joe Millionaire thingie - I haven't seen it except for trailers - did that show on TV yet? Anyway I think that is a crappy idea - lying to people? Not good. There's not gonna be a second installment of that show I can tell you!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:47 pm
"Joe Millionaire" aired this week. Got huge ratings.

What intrigues me, among other things, is that these people so desperately want to be celebrities that they will endure indignity in front of millions of people. The vast majority (99%) will be forgotten within days (or minutes) of being on TV. Yet they do it.

Any thoughts on this?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 01:00 pm
Desperation?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 02:05 pm
Oh, come on, this is voyuerism par excellance -- to see all those male ego's pricked (sic) and watch all the air being sucked out of them is a laugh riot.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 02:21 pm
Okay ya got me there - I do enjoy it!
0 Replies