Three cheers for the FBI.

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 06:43 am
Step Ladder will have several months, though, to influence the election of the next FIFA chief, if not to rig the vote outright. This is in the finest tradition of capitalism, and don't doubt for a minute that this is all about big business. Frankly, i doubt that any sum so paltry as $150,000,000 changed hands.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 07:30 am
My prediction now is that the World Cup 2022 will not be in Qatar.

Russia will hold the 2018 Cup, as it will be seen to be too late to cancel it at this time, and the reality is that most of the world does not relish the idea of greatly upsetting the unpredictable psychopath that is Putin. Football isn't worth another Cold War, so let it go and swallow the disgust for now.

So, if Russia is holding 2018, then it is unlikey that Europe will hold two Cups in a row, so England, France, Germany etc will not get 2022.

Brazil has only just had a Cup, and the USA will be seen as too close to all this FIFA jailing to be given it, so it leaves Asia, or somewhere like Australia.

My bet for 2022 is therefore Oz.

I wonder what odds I can get on that at the moment?
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 07:35 am
@Lordyaswas,
Answer on Paddypower.....

USA = 5/4.

AUSTRALIA = 7/4.

Very low odds indeed, considering the magnitude of actually taking a World Cup away from a country due to bribery.

Just shows you how likely the experts reckon that this wil now happen. I was honestly expecting 5/1 or more.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 07:37 am
@Setanta,
It's more than one . I estimate at least three . But if they're happy....
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 07:40 am
Voted down again, eh?

I think I've upset someone recently. The only two I can think of are...

1. I-Onanist.

And 2. Black Eyes Olly.

I'm going to tell teacher now.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 07:43 am
@Lordyaswas,
Anus is desperate for attention. I don't think Ollie would vote anyone down without having a hissy fit first.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 07:46 am
@izzythepush,
It depends on whether he is being French at the time, of course. Cool

Canadians are far more stable.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 07:48 am
@izzythepush,
You decision it is me wouldnt have anything to do with disliking me would it ? Very Happy The cheek of you telling me I am desperate for attention when you stalk me . You named all my recent posts and I couldnt tell you what you post if my life depended on it . I want you to be a good girl and not think about me, Ok ? Especially when you are doing you know what...that is detrimental to your mental health . We can never be a couple . Glad I could help, you clearly need it . Cool I bet I get voted down.... Very Happy
Ionus

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 07:58 am
@Ionus,
Oh look...someone has voted me down already...boo hoo... Crying or Very sad I wonder who it could be....Nah...I couldnt give a rats arse . Probably a little french man...or an English twat .
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 08:10 am
Latest from the Telegraph "live" update is now talking about the Brazil World Cup being investigated.
Also a bit about the Australian Police now getting involved :
"Australian police said they were now looking into corruption claims around Australia's failed 2022 bid, with Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy saying FIFA's handling of the tournament was "not clean".
Australian Sports Minister Sussan Ley said the government would need to see substantial reform at FIFA before considering any further bids.
And here we have an extraordinary tweet which allegedly depicts the large cheque paid by the Football Federation Australia (FFA) to the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf).
The Football Federation Australia cheque for $US462,000 - made out to CONCACAF - at the centre of the scandal."
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 08:44 am
Article on racism in Russia. Corruption aside there are so many reasons why Russia should not host the World Cup, but they probably will.

Quote:
“Russians forward! F**k the Caucasus,” Lokomotiv fans began to chant at a qualifying match on 23 August 2012 between the Dutch club AZ Alkmaar and Anzhi Makhachkala, a team from Russia’s mostly Muslim Caucasus region that were renting the Lokomotiv stadium in Moscow.

Police detained some 80 fans and Anzhi went on to win the game. But after their victory groups of hooligans attacked Anzhi fans in the metro station Chistye Prudy, splattering the platform in blood. A Russian nationalist organisation later said on social media that 70 Lokomotiv fans had taken part in the assault using traumatic pistols (handguns that fire rubber bullets).

As Russia gears up to host the 2018 World Cup, concerns have been raised about the spiralling costs for the tournament and alleged corruption during the Fifa bidding process. Last week Alexander Khinshtein, of the ruling United Russia Party, announced legislative amendments that would allow inmates to perform forced labour outside their prison colonies, a move he said could help save money on World Cup construction.

But racist incidents like those at the Anzhi-AZ match, which came a day after a group of 50 young people attacked Anzhi fans in St Petersburg on their way to watch a game, have added worries about the reception non-white players and even supporters could receive in Russia.

A recent report by the Fare network and the Moscow-based Sova Centre for information and analysis has documented 99 racist and far-right displays and 21 racially motivated attacks by Russian football fans during the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jun/04/racism-in-russia-incidents-world-cup-hosts
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 10:47 am
@izzythepush,
The whole FIFA world seems to be unravelling, as accusations and facts pile in from here, there and seemingly everywhere.

Delaney, from the Irish FA, has been giving an interview......

The transcript from Delaney's radio interview with RTE has been published and one gets the impression that the former Chief Executive of the Football Association of Ireland has been waiting a while to get this off his chest.
Quote "We felt we had a legal case against Fifa because of how the World Cup play-off hadn’t worked out for us with the Henry handball. Also the way Blatter behaved, if you remember on stage, having a snigger and having a laugh at us.
That day when I went in, and I told him how I felt about him, there were some expletives used. We came to an agreement.
That was a Thursday and on Monday the agreement was all signed and all done. It’s a very good agreement for the FAI and a very legitimate agreement for the FAI.
I’m bound by confidentiality for naming the figure. You’ve put a figure out there and fair play to you It was a payment to the association to not proceed with a legal case. In there they signed a confidentiality agreement where I can’t talk about the amount involved.
You used a figure there, well done to you, but it was a very good and legitimate deal for the FAI."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/fifa/11650517/Fifa-corruption-crisis-live.html

The figure being quoted is €5,000,000.

Here is the incident in question, where Thierry Henry cheated and France went through, knocking Ireland out.

Just look at how Henry celebrates the cheating. Despicable, especially knowing that the goal will kick Ireland out of the Cup.

And this is how Blatter took the piss out of Ireland, in full view of the world's press, after they had made a protest about the blatant cheating....

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 10:54 am
@Lordyaswas,
Now we FIFA insiders shopping for deals. Ya, this is all going to come out. After it does the next question becomes why did global governments tolerate such gross corruption for so long? Corruption was so bad for so long that "better late than never" barely applies to government eventually doing the right thing. And governments wonder why the masses no longer trust them!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 12:34 pm
@Lordyaswas,

I liked in Lord Triesmann's evidence, (shown in the Panorama programme linked above) when he said the one of the FIFA delegates price for supporting an England bid was that he wanted to be knighted in an investiture by the Queen.
Nice try.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 12:40 pm
You might say that FIFA got rid of a Blatter infection.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 02:28 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I remember that very well. It was a travesty.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 02:56 am
The evidence is flowing thick and fast.

Quote:
A new leaked letter appears to show South African authorities seeking an indirect route for the transfer of $10m (£6.5m) to Fifa.

The letter carried by South African media was purportedly written by then SA FA president Danny Jordaan three weeks before the first amount was paid.

US prosecutors say the money was a bribe to Fifa officials to help secure South Africa's 2010 World Cup bid.

South Africa says it was a legitimate payment to fund Caribbean football.

The $10m payment is a key plank in the wide-ranging US criminal inquiry that has engulfed world football's governing body.

Seven top Fifa officials, including two vice-presidents were arrested last week in Switzerland as they awaited Fifa's congress.

They were among 14 new indictments in the US investigation, which alleges they accepted bribes and kickbacks estimated at more than $150m over a 24-year period.

Four other people were charged earlier. One of them, ex-Fifa official Chuck Blazer, has pleaded guilty in the US to taking bribes related to South Africa's bid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33017886

Seeing as how Morocco 'woz robbed' of the World Cup by South Africa shouldn't we be thinking about giving 2018 or 2022 to them?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 11:23 am
The latest.

Quote:
Russia and Qatar could lose the 2018 and 2022 World Cups respectively if evidence emerges of bribery, leading Fifa official Domenico Scala has said.

The countries deny wrongdoing in their bidding processes and Scala admits he has not seen evidence of corruption.

Scala is the head of Fifa's audit and compliance committee.

But he said: "Should there be evidence that the awards to Qatar and Russia came only because of bought votes, then the awards could be cancelled."

Speaking to Swiss newspaper Sonntagszeitung, he added: "Until today, the respective evidence has not been provided."

Scala made similar comments at the end of 2013 but in light of events at Fifa in the past two weeks this will be viewed as a more serious warning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33041467
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 12:12 pm
@izzythepush,
The paperwork for the 10 million dollar payment made by South Africa supposedly for football projects in the Caribbean, to accounts controlled by Jack Warner, have been supplied to the BBC.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/media/images/83468000/jpg/_83468532_docdeposits.jpg

The documents reveal how the money was spent and moved around.
JTA Supermarkets, a large chain in Trinidad, received $4,860,000 from the accounts.
The money was paid in instalments from January 2008 to March 2009. The largest payment was $1,350,000 paid in February 2008.
US prosecutors say the money was mostly paid back to Mr Warner in local currency.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/media/images/83468000/jpg/_83468571_doccreditcards1.jpg

Full story......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-33039014
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:15 pm
I was convinced that the $150,000,000 figure was low, and as revelations are made, it seems to be so.
0 Replies