4
   

The "atheism" thread locked, yet again, eh?

 
 
roger
 
  2  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too, most likely. Maybe it will be crushed under its own weight.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  2  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:51 pm
I disclaim being vaporous, no interest in chasing what I meant.
grin
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:52 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
He can't...he has collapsed the thread...twice in fact.


I'm not certain( Wink )how you'd know that, but if that's the case, why are you still engaging?


A better question might be, "Why not?"

What do you think the chances are he actually collapsed the thread?
0 Replies
 
layman
 
  2  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Wasn't there, back in the day, some political party called the "know-nothings?" As I recall their slogan was: "We aint knowwin no kinda nuthin!" Something like that.

Frank just inspired me. Imma start me up a new cult and call it the "Believe-nothings." Tryin to come up with a slogan now.....

"The onliest thing we believe in is not believin nuthin" maybe?

Naw, not really catchy enough, is it....
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 06:00 pm
Yes, but I remember nothing at all about it.

A lot of politics rises from low level, which can take a great while.

Oh, wait, what was the question?
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  5  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 06:01 pm
My only problem with agnosticism is that its proponents are so gosh darn intolerant of people who actually have beliefs - one way or the other.
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 06:16 pm
@layman,
Actually, you have a point there.

You could start a website (I've been reading too much tech stuff).
0 Replies
 
glitterbag
 
  2  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 06:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Oh for Christ's sake Frank, can't you just put a plug in it. You're a bright guy, why do you waste your time in little pissing contests. Not everything negative needs to be taken as a swipe at your manhood, lighten up while you still can. Do you think your dying words are going to be "damn, I really put that asshole in his place"? Life is too short to waste on non stop insults.


Why is defense of the agnostic position...defense of the common sense of the agnostic position...so troubling for you, GB?

I haven't said anything about a swipe at my manhood. I'm talking about the agnostic position...which I see as much superior to the atheistic and theistic
positions.

Try to bear up. We have a right to be heard also.



You are willfully ignoring my complaint. I don't care about any religious or non-religious or I don't know if religions. To me it's as interesting as baseball statistics. My life moves along regardless of what belief systems the rest of you hold. I don't care to proselytize, I won't lobby for or against, I just don't care enough to defend any belief. That doesn't mean I don't have a belief system, it just means I'm not interested in others beliefs as long as they leave me out of it.

More pointedly, my complaint is your insistence on insulting others as if every issue is a battle of wits that you must, must, must win. But after reading your response, I understand I'm wasting my time. You have CI and timur, I really don't wish to engage in a pointless and endless litany of " you're a coward!! No you're the coward, you're a liar, no you're the cowardly liar "

Like I said, you're too smart to waste your time in pissing contests. But, it's your time and if pissing contests make you happy, enjoy.

Just to be clear, I don't find agnostics, atheists, or believers troublesome. I'll bear up just fine.
layman
 
  1  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I mostly don't care except for my distastes for people who took a course in philosophy who need to rant.


When I hear the word "philosophy," I reach for my .45. Or PETA.
roger
 
  2  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 07:10 pm
@layman,
People Eating Tasty Animals?
layman
 
  1  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 07:14 pm
@roger,
Heh, Rog, I wish!
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  2  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 07:15 pm
@layman,
Don't get me going.



On the other hand, my father was a philosophy major at Santa Clara. He never lectured me though gave opinions and he died before we could talk at any great length. Some, but way not enough.

What I remember of him seems not to fit with all the philo rancor here. So not him.
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  2  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 07:34 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
My only problem with agnosticism is that its proponents are so gosh darn intolerant of people who actually have beliefs - one way or the other.

Not all of us are intolerant.

It's certainly true that I don't think much of unshakable beliefs in the absence of supporting evidence. But I also don't feel like arguing with people about it.
Ionus
 
  1  
Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 11:30 pm
@roger,
My only problem with people who have beliefs one way or the other is that they are so gosh darn intolerant of each other and keep disturbing the peace of Agnositcs .
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  0  
Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 01:28 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Not all of us are intolerant.


Because calling for all Italian babies to be killed, the extermination of all Palestinians, and a nuclear attack on Italy is the height of acceptance, live and let live and all that.
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  2  
Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 02:48 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

My only problem with agnosticism is that its proponents are so gosh darn intolerant of people who actually have beliefs - one way or the other.


None of the agnostics I know are intolerant of people who make guesses about whether or not there are gods.

I certainly do not.

Why would I? Why would anyone? (Although I do notice that many atheists are very intolerant of people who guess there is at least one god.)

I merely suggest, courteously and respectfully, that acknowledging that we do not know if gods exist in REALITY or not...is probably the more truthful way to handle the question.

Almost always some atheists will take offense and tell me that is nonsense or that I say it too often or that I am sitting on a fence.

Sometimes that kind of thing escalates. Mostly it doesn't.
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  2  
Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 02:55 am
@glitterbag,
For the most part, glitterbag, I am NOT insulting or petty...until someone just comes at me several times.

Then I do retaliate.

I do not ever start these things. I have my say...and for the most part I am willing to allow people to take lots of offense to what I say for whatever reasons they want.

But at some point...you cannot just take hits without delivering a few of your own.

If you do not operate that way...fine.

But read any of these threads where things get out of hand...and you will see that my initial comments are courteous and reasonable. I even ignore some of the initial insults...but after a while, I take 'em on.

Here is my initial post in Edgar's thread.

http://able2know.org/topic/273517-1#post-5932086

That is a totally friendly, courteous post...one that took several hits before I retaliated.

Why do you picture me as an insulter...when my posts are almost never (ALMOST NEVER) of the kind that include the kinds of insults that I got from the others you mentioned?
izzythepush
 
  0  
Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 03:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
Come on Frank, both you and Timur have been claiming the other one started the argument for pages and pages. Do you think anyone really gives a monkeys about who the originator was?

Your argument has now pretty much taken over two threads, and I sympathise with the mods for knocking it off for a bit.

Claiming that the other one is in a bad mood, that you're enjoying yourself and are here for the duration doesn't win you any plaudits from anyone. All it means is that you're too stubborn for your own good, insist on having the last word, and have way too much time on your hands.

Here's a challenge for you. Prove I'm wrong, don't reply to this post, collapse the entire thread and talk about something else.

I really don't think you can do it.
Ionus
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 03:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
I neither like you nor dislike you, and I find most of what you said to be true . You tend to hold back on the insults but after a while feel forced to join in . Personally I think you need a better exit policy when you get into tit for tat with some of these posters, apart from the heat death of the universe bringing the argument to an end .
Frank Apisa
 
  4  
Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 03:18 am
@izzythepush,
There is no way I am going to collapse any thread, Izzy.

I did NOT start that argument with Timur...you can read the thread. And he has started, for no reason, that same kind of crap with me on at least a half dozen other occasions in other threads. I am through simply overlooking the insults.

I have no problem whatever in avoiding people I know start stuff like that. I simply avoid them...do not respond to provocative posts they make. But when the attacks are personal and sustained...no, I am not going to take them.

He started it...and has been vicious in his insults. I will finish it. I will definitely, definitely finish it.

And I hope at that point he finally learns to not start things with me.

You are no angel when it comes to that kind of thing yourself, Izzy. Keep that in mind before lecturing others.
 

Related Topics

Atheism - Discussion by littlek
The tolerant atheist - Discussion by Tuna
Another day when there is no God - Discussion by edgarblythe
church of atheism - Discussion by daredevil
Can An Atheist Have A Soul? - Discussion by spiritual anrkst
THE MAGIC BUS COMES TO CANADA - Discussion by Setanta
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/17/2019 at 07:28:45