The nuance of "be pragmatic"...

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 09:48 pm
1) Does "be pragmatic" mean "be practical even if at the price of distorting the science of the field (to cater for politicians/political policies)"?

2) Does "mitigation scenarios that explore policy options" mean "mitigation conceptions that inquire into policy options"?

Context:

Political weather
Climate researchers who advise policy-makers feel that they have two options: be pragmatic or be ignored. They either distance themselves from the policy process by declaring that it is no longer possible to stay within a 2 °C-compatible carbon budget, or they suggest practical ways to dodge carbon-budget constraints3.

Many advisers are choosing pragmatism. This can lead to paradoxical positions, as exemplified by shifting assumptions in climate economics over the past few years.

Each year, mitigation scenarios that explore policy options for transforming the global economy are more optimistic4 — and less plausible. Advisers once assumed that the global emissions peak would have to be reached before 2020 and that annual emissions-reduction rates of more than 3% were not feasible. Those assumptions keep changing.

http://www.nature.com/news/policy-climate-advisers-must-maintain-integrity-1.17468
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 654 • Replies: 7
No top replies

FBM

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 09:54 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

1) Does "be pragmatic" mean "be practical even if at the price of distorting the science of the field (to cater for politicians/political policies)"?

Pretty much, yeah. Be realistic about what you hope to achieve and what it takes to achieve it.

Quote:
2) Does "mitigation scenarios that explore policy options" mean "mitigation conceptions that inquire into policy options"?

Context:

Political weather
Climate researchers who advise policy-makers feel that they have two options: be pragmatic or be ignored. They either distance themselves from the policy process by declaring that it is no longer possible to stay within a 2 °C-compatible carbon budget, or they suggest practical ways to dodge carbon-budget constraints3.

Many advisers are choosing pragmatism. This can lead to paradoxical positions, as exemplified by shifting assumptions in climate economics over the past few years.

Each year, mitigation scenarios that explore policy options for transforming the global economy are more optimistic4 — and less plausible. Advisers once assumed that the global emissions peak would have to be reached before 2020 and that annual emissions-reduction rates of more than 3% were not feasible. Those assumptions keep changing.

http://www.nature.com/news/policy-climate-advisers-must-maintain-integrity-1.17468

Not sure about your choice of the word 'conceptions.' Maybe 'mitigation alternatives'? I have the feeling that people get together and create hypothetical situations and discuss how to respond effectively to them.
oristarA

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 10:41 pm
@FBM,
Thanks.
I got the meaning of "be pragmatic" but failed to get "explore". Does it mean "look at"?
FBM

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 10:57 pm
@oristarA,
Yeah, with the nuance of discovering something you didn't expect or predict, I'd say. Nuances are sometimes hard to pin down and even native speakers may disagree sometimes.
oristarA

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 02:15 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Yeah, with the nuance of discovering something you didn't expect or predict, I'd say. Nuances are sometimes hard to pin down and even native speakers may disagree sometimes.

Got it clearer.
Does "scenario" in "mitigation scenarios" refer to "a postulated sequence of possible events"?
FBM

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 02:49 am
@oristarA,
That's what I gather, yes. People would get together and think of various possible ways to mitigate the effects of GW, then try to predict how successful they might be, given the hostile political conditions.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 07:51 pm
@oristarA,
If it helps to give you any confidence in the answers, Oris, I will simply add that I agree with what FBM said.
oristarA

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 11:30 pm
@layman,
Yes, a good way to enhance the memory of the linguistic knowledge.
0 Replies