Churches in UK

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 01:13 pm
iceman71

Sorry, you are correct:
when you declare your rooms to be e.g. a Religious Community, you don't pay the Council Tax but only the owner:

Quote:
Owner's Liability

There are some instances where the owner is always liable to pay. These are:

A. Residential Care Homes
B. Dwellings inhabited by Religious Communities
C. Houses in Multiple Occupation (for example houses / flats where each tenant pays rent for their room or part of the property)
D. Some properties with resident staff
E. Dwellings inhabited by a minister of religion from which he performs his duties.
F. Dwellings provided to asylum seekers

The owner means the freeholder or anyone who has a lease or tenancy of six months or more.

However, even if not, you can get some really good discounts:
Council Tax Discounts

Quote:
Discounts

The full council tax bill is calculated on the assumption that two or more adults live in the property.

You can get a 25% discount if you are the only adult living in the property. If no-one lived there for a period between 1st April 1993 and 31st March 2004 you can get a 50% discount but from 1st April 2004 only a 10% discount is due.

Part 1 of your Council Tax bill will show if a discount has been given.
Some people are not counted when deciding how many adults are living in the property.

Everyone under 18 years old
Full time students, student nurses, apprentices and young people on Youth Training Schemes
Patients living in hospital or a care home
People who are severely mentally impaired
18 and 19 year olds who are at school or have just left school
care workers who are paid no more than £36 a week
people caring for someone they live with who is disabled and not their partner or child
people who belong to a religious community
people in prison, unless they are in prison for not paying Council Tax or a fine, or detained elsewhere
people staying in some hostels and night shelters
members of visiting forces
diplomats
non-British spouse of a student or non-British dependant of a student

sources: Derby County Council, Essex County Council, Oxford City Council - similar on more City/County websides and the Valuation Office Council Tax website.
0 Replies

iceman71

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 01:09 am
no need to be sorry walter
although weve drifted off the original subject a bit,this does influence the authors original question and makes a mockery of the total answer for how many religious buildings there are.
it seems that not all religious buildings are designated for prayer but that some are just classed as that for tax loopholes.
0 Replies

NickMP

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:24 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
iceman71 wrote:

1.5 million divided by 600 = 2500 muslims per official mosque
1.5 million divided by family of four muslims = 375,000 mosques
375,000 mosques NOT paying average of £1000 council tax = £375million
EARTH TO PRIME MINISTER
Rolling Eyes

I've heard this rumour floating about as well, so I investigated. In fact, you only get derogation from council tax if you can show that nobody lives at the address. So yes, you can designate your home as a place of prayer, and why not? - but it won't change your tax position one iota.

As other posts have pointed out, it's possible for individuals to claim discounts for various reasons, but the original post implied that it was a way for people to get out of having to pay it on their homes at all. Not so.

Nick Palmer MP
(Lab, Broxtowe)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:28 pm
That's exactly the answer, I got from another Labour MP (and minister) :wink:

Welcome to A2K, NickMP`!
0 Replies

iceman71

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:54 pm
sorry nick but i find it hard to believe anything a politician says
0 Replies

iceman71

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:46 pm
i have to give you credit though nick to have the balls to admit youre a mp and not hide behind a false name
0 Replies

NickMP

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:58 pm
iceman71 wrote:
i have to give you credit though nick to have the balls to admit youre a mp and not hide behind a false name

Thanks! But hey...if I wasn't proud to be a Labour MP I'd go and do something else. People who are ashamed of what they do are sad creatures unless there really is no alternative...

On the substantive issue, don't hesitate to check yourself. Ring the Calderdale (Halifax) council Superintendent Registrar (who is of course not a politician, but the person responsible for administering religious exemptions of the council tax system) on 01422 353993, tell him what I said and say you wonder if the correct figure is indeed around 8 or really some much larger figure. I shan't be offended, and I shouldn't think he'll mind. I don't know his name but I assume there is only one.

If you don't believe him either, though, then I don't quite know what to
suggest. :-)

Cheers, Nick
0 Replies