Michael Moore, Hero or Rogue

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:09 am
The administration continues to contradict itself as if a different spin by each individual will gain votes.
From the political geeks perhaps but no intelligent person would not recognize the game they are playing. That's not to say the game isn't played by all politicians. It's just that some politicians are more equal than others.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:26 am
My sister was visiting over the week end. She's long been a devout member of the christian fundamentalist crowd. Her husband is a minister, trained at an evangelical seminary that advertises a belief in the literal interpretation of the Bible.

She asked me if I'd seen the film in question. I told her I'd seen it twice. And she told me she's planning to see it as well. She has come to question Bush's motivations and plans to vote against him in this election. WOW! Let me tell you, if my sister and her friends are questioning Bush, it's way over for this administration.

Very encouraging news. She thinks he's not really a "Christian" that he's pretending, using the people she considers to be the only true Christians. She said it made her sick to see the "Christian" community used in this way. She thinks the Moore film reinforces this belief. I don't see that information in the film, myself. But oh well, she's free to believe as she pleases.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:36 am
I went with two moderate conservative friends to the Lido Theater to see it for the third time over the weekend. They were conflicted and confessed they could no longer support Bush. They are both very likely to vote off-the-board for a third party candidate or maybe not even vote. I took them to dinner at sunset over the bay to try and quell their newly found dejected confidence in politics and politicians. It didn't help.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:38 am
It's a shame you have such weak willed friends that they could let Michael Moore change their opinion on anything. He has been shown to lie by so many sources that I wonder if he can tell the truth about anything anymore.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:41 am
McGentrix wrote:
It's a shame you have such weak willed friends that they could let Michael Moore change their opinion on anything. He has been shown to lie by so many sources that I wonder if he can tell the truth about anything anymore.

Lemme tell ya, not much will be achieved by going down that road.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:42 am
au1929 wrote:
JPM
Kerry served in Viet Nam and put his life on the line contrary to what the other guy did. He also saw and realized that the war was both an exercise in futility and also unjustified. And he protested as well he should have. As did millions of Americans. Atrocities they did occur, just how many we will never know. Remember Mie LY.{spelling} Body count became most important to the command.
Regarding Kerry hanging out with Jane Fonda that is typical republican propaganda they found pictures which showed Kerry and Fonda at the same rally and came up with the usual fabrication. 1+1=3

I said he had the right to protest but I question the truth of his protests and what they meant to the other veterans:

Douglas Brinkley's biography "Tour of Duty" chronicles Kerry's exploits at Valley Forge, where he reportedly followed Fonda onto the back of that pick-up truck to deliver his own diatribe against the war in Vietnam.

"We are here because we above all others have earned the right to criticize the war on Southeast Asia," Kerry shouted into the microphone, as Fonda and the crowd cheered wildly.

"By the time [Kerry] hopped off that pick-up truck to thunderous applause," writes Brinkley, "he was the new leader of the VVAW by popular default."

The Massachusetts Democrat's speech also cemented his alliance with Fonda, and the two traveled to Detroit to organize a January 1971 event they called the "Winter Soldier Investigation."

At a Detroit motel, Kerry and Fonda assembled a myriad of disgruntled witnesses claiming to be Vietnam vets, each with his own story of American atrocities.

According to Jug Burkett, whose landmark Vietnam war history "Stolen Valor" chronicles some of Kerry's anti-war misadventures, Fonda played a key role at the Detroit event.

"There's no doubt that Jane Fonda financed the Winter Soldier hearings," Burkett told NewsMax on Monday.

He said that several of the witnesses who testified at the protest's "hearings" later turned out to be complete impostors.

The event prompted "Hanoi Jane" to "adopt" Kerry's group "as her leading cause," writes Brinkley. It was at Kerry's Winter Soldier protest that the anti-American actress met her future husband, Students for a Democratic Society radical Tom Hayden.

Not everything is right-wing propaganda! Of course there are atrocities of war, but the atrocities the Kerry testified to are believed by many people to be not true.

au1929 wrote:
Regarding the vote giving Bush war powers it was based upon lies and hysteria of the time. I should note that IMO by voting for it Congress abrogated their responsibility. As I understand it-it gave the president the power to declare war if need be without going to congress. The question of course was there that need? IMO there was not it was based upon fabricated evidence

Kerry and Edwards have said they had the same information Bush had and supported the war. So at the time more than just Bush felt there was a need including Kerry and Edwards.

I have given you my reasons for supporting Bush... why do you support Kerry?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:43 am
Mcg
Thanks for the laugh. How can a Bush lemming call anyone weak minded?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:48 am
I'm laughing at anyone who hasn't seen the film, haven't done their own research other than the hate Michael Moore sites and who are only purveying the proliferation of counter-lies to the perceived lies on those dubious sites. Convince a rightwing filmmaker to make a counter documentary that isn't an ad hominem attack. Bush is his own worst enemy and it's displayed in Spades in the film. Finally, worshiping a human being is for some recessive spouse who has no self-identity. There are no Michael Moore churches.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:48 am
Anyone that can have their opinion changed over something as important as a presidential election by watching a mockumentary can't possibly have strong convictions or be informed about what is really happening.

As much as I disagree with most of you, at least you have strong convictions and have tried to gather information to back your convictions.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:50 am
BTW, Mel Gibson won't do it as he's already stated he was against Bush's decision to go to war. Box office for the film is now over $100M world wide and climbing rapidly. Those who want to continue to display their fear of Moore are welcome to continue doing it. It only encourages more to go see the film.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:53 am
Moore's exaggerations are no worse than the BS generated by the current administration on daily basis. Both take the facts and manipulate them to suit their purposes.

And that's true for Fox News, too. To claim that Moore is uniquely biased is absurd...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:58 am
All politics is biased. Get real. It's just what side of the bias one is convinced they should be on. It all comes down to being alone in that voting booth and deciding who will make a difference for the betterment of each individual. Some will make the choice as what is good for giant corporations even if it means being bad at world politics and diplomacy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:59 am
BTW, a "mockumentary" is a totally fictious movie with totally fictitious characters done in the style of a documentary. I guess Bush could be called fictitious.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:02 am
I turned on the telley this morning (while putting on my clothes) to watch the finance channel, and this guy was saying that religion was being lost in this country, and it will be our down fall. It's people like this guy that scares the bejesus out of me, because these are the very people that supports Bush!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:09 am
More fear-laden rhetoric. I suppose they're following along with those two bad novelist who wrote all the silly revelation novels that are more popular than Stephen King. They'd make totally laughable movies and I hope it happens. They might do as well as "Passion" at the box-office but separating out crass entertainment value from what the message is will be difficult for most.

Moore doesn't ask anyone to fear Bush, just laugh like hell. Send in the clowns, or rather clones. "The Manchurian Candidate" can mean many different things -- this time around it plays on satire rather than conspiracy theory seriousness.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:13 am
JPM
You have not given me as I see it any reason to vote for Bush. Just a reason not to vote for Kerry. The reason apparently boils down to his actions related to the antiwar movement related to the Viet Nam war. A war that history has proven to be an American tragedy. A war that was based upon a series of lies. a war in which many thousands of American service men lost their lives and many more were permanently disabled. If the Antiwar movement had even a little to do with us getting the hell out of Viet Nam it should be commended.

Why I am voting for Kerry rather than Bush. Because Bush has compiled a dismal record during his term. Almost anyone would be preferable
I do not agree with the preemptive attack upon Iraq
His policy on taxation
His religious agenda
Medicare reform
The deficit
Stem cell policy
Environmental policies
Vouchers to pay for religious education
Abortion
And on and on. They only thing he did right was to Attack AlQaeda in Afghanistan. Other than that I would say his is a failed presidency.

Anyone but Bush.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:20 am
As stated before it is not a matter of protesting it is a matter his character and I do not feel I can trust him.

au1929 wrote:

Anyone but Bush.

This is perhaps the worse reason I have ever heard for voting for someone. Just because you dislike Bush that much does not mean "anyone" else is going to make a better president.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:25 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
As stated before it is not a matter of protesting it is a matter his character and I do not feel I can trust him.

au1929 wrote:

Anyone but Bush.

This is perhaps the worse reason I have ever heard for voting for someone. Just because you dislike Bush that much does not mean "anyone" else is going to make a better president.

If you consider Bush the worst President in modern history, then it's a pretty good reason...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:27 am
That's been the way voters have voted for President ever since I can remember. They vote against someone rather than for someone else. Kerry/Edwards need to be more positive and try to change that profile of an election. It's all uphill IMHO. For now, Bush is an abject failure as a leader, a diplomat and a person.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:38 am
Just a quick poll:

Is the dislike of Bush due mainly to Iraq or did every one dislike him before then?
0 Replies