'51 Chevy PU - Keeps popping out of gear

knealey

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:46 pm
My '51 seems to pop out of 3rd gear after letting off the gas or going up hill with a full throttle (3 on the tree.)

Other than holding the shifter down, anyone have any ideas on how to remedy such a occurance? I've tightened the transfer box on the base of the column but it only helped a tad.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,229 • Replies: 5
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:39 pm
I would believe that symptom indicates either or both broken/ excessively worn gears, or a faulty throwout bearing. Given the vinatge of your vehicle, and assuming the parts in question, even if not as old as the truck itself, are at least very old, I suspect clutch and/or transmission work, not mere shift linkage tinkering, would be in order.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:54 pm
Yep. This happened on my '53 chevy too, in 1965. It required new gears in the transmission. They were easier to find back then.
0 Replies

knealey

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 03:19 pm
As I feared. I of course always prefer tinkering to replacement.

Getting the parts are quite easy, it's diving into a big project I feared! It may face a true mechanic on this one. I may just have to hold it in gear for a spell.
Thanks for the expertise!
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 03:03 pm
There isn't much tinkering you can do, sometimes on the old aluminum case muncey the problem is the hole where the shift lever goes into the case gets worn and allows slop, you can look an see if this is the problem. If not is is worn inside the transmission.
0 Replies

knealey

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 05:49 am
Final Diagnosis
$1,300 later...the entire transmission needed to be rebuilt. Gears worn, bushings shot, etc. I'm surprised it ran as long as it did after seeing the case opened. Big bummer--but thanks for the heads up.
0 Replies