ADAM CAN COOK HIS OWN DAMN RIBS

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 12:33 pm
@timur,
What would happen if we did away with gender stereotypes? We would stop painting men as inherently violent and natural leaders and stop painting women as inherently nurturing and vulnerable.

I believe that this would result in some changes that people on this thread would expect and cheer. It would mean more women in leadership positions.

But it would also result in some changes that some people apparently don't cheer. It would mean men getting equal custody rights and it would mean sentences that depend on the severity of the crime rather than the gender of the perpetrator and the victim.

There is basic imbalance in these threads. I want to end negative gender stereotypes of either women or men. I have been consistent in this.

This idea seems obvious to me.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 12:49 pm
Drunk
maxdancona wrote:

I come to Able2Know for intelligent respectful discussion. I enjoy discussing topics that interest me with people who don't agree with me. This is best way to learn, and the best way to test and refine my opinions. Occasionally my mind is changed by a good discussion.

More and more able2know seems to be overrun with personal attacks, vendettas and ideological speech that allows no compromise or discussion. I would like to reach to people who like me, would like to be able to have respectful, intelligent, discussions without the name calling and sometimes hateful attacks.

After all, if we don't like each other, then why waste the time typing to each other.

I suggest a couple of guidelines to have intelligent, respectful discussions with people you don't agree with.

1) Questioning, or even attacking, an idea, or an ideology or an argument is a legitimate part of a discussion. No idea, ideology or argument should be considered to sacred to question. If an idea is so sacred to you that you don't want to debate it, then don't debate it.

2) Attacking a person... name-calling or demonizing an A2Kmember is never helpful or acceptable.

3) Personal vendettas are counter-productive. You should support a good point no matter who is making it (everyone makes good points some times). Taking bad blood from thread to thread makes intelligent discussion nearly impossible.

4) Facts are good. Research is good. Someone who backs their points up with valid scientific research should be supported. Of course it is valid to debate whether research is valid or not... but the debate should be intelligent and respectful.

It is really hard to have any intelligent conversation on an issue here. The threads are overrun with personal attacks very quickly. There is little thoughtful response being given to anything.

If you like this, then keep going.

I am hoping that there are enough of us that want intelligent, thoughtful debates without all of the personal attacks that we can do something about it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 12:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
. I want to end negative gender stereotypes of either women or men

WHY? If you want to speak truth then you need to be willing to speak in the negative, because people are not all good. I will go with you only so far as reforming flawed negative stereotypes, the ones that are correct need to stay.

And I have no interest in rubbing out the gender differences or gender norms. That would make life very boring.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 12:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you Edgar, those are good standards to live by, and I have lived by them. In spite of the obscenities, accusations and personal attacks lobbed at me, I have defended my opinions without making any personal attacks myself.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:06 pm
So Max showed up here to whine his "poor, poor pitiful me" routine and hoping to trash another thread. No surprises there . . .
maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:09 pm
@Setanta,
You will get no self-pity from me Setanta. I am enjoying these interactions with you (or else I wouldn't be here). You are very passionate. I like that.

The sociology of these threads is very interesting. We are a bunch of men aggressively arguing over how much women are in danger from us. I believe EhBeth is the only female who has indulged us... and she is now posting pictures of burnt ribs.

I would be interested in hearing EhBeth's opinion on the facts behind this discussion. She, perhaps wisely, has very pointedly not jumped in.
Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:10 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I pointed out the fact that women are the least at risk of violent crime of any other demographic group. Women are less likely to be the victim of violent crime then men (when you look at violent crime as a whole). Women are more less likely to be murdered, stabbed, robbed or be victim to any type of violent crime except for sexual assault.

This just demonstrates how clueless you are, how you just don't get it. Leaving aside that sexual assault is conveniently excluded from your numbers, they are irrelevant. I made not comparative statements. I did not say that women were at more risk then men. I did not say that men were at no risk. You don't get it because you're obsessed with your own version of ideological purity. You wanted to rant about this, even though it is completely irrelevant. That's why you're an idiot, that's why you're a great braying jackass.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:12 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't want any pity from you, you whining, f*cking idiot, nor have i appealed for any.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:15 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
I take this as tongue-in-cheek, but apparently you're locked into a pissing contest with Set so I'll refrain from making any commentary that feeds that behavior.

The pissing contest, as you put it, comes from Max trashing yet another thread of mine. He just doesn't get it, he doesn't understand that his vaunted "facts" are irrelevant. Yeah, if someone trashes a thread of mine, demonstrating in the process just how stupid they are, i'm likely to point it out.
Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:17 pm
This thread is not based on gender stereotypes. That's just Max's cluelessness and obsessive paranoia showing through again.

I do think it's hilarious that it took brilliant Mr. Science three days to notice that i had started another thread.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 01:44 pm
Max wrote:
she is now posting pictures of burnt ribs.

Which was quite apropos the current discussion but you probably didn't get it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:05 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
. Yeah, if someone trashes a thread of mine, demonstrating in the process just how stupid they are, i'm likely to point it out.

From the looks of it the purpose of this thread was to feed your feminist inspired fantasies about the alleged victimization of the most well off women who have ever walked the Earth. Max throwing a wrench into that is a public service.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:35 pm
@maxdancona,

Quote:
I believe EhBeth is the only female who has indulged us...

FS wrote
Quote:
I don't think I've ever read a thread ever, that I admired more than this one.

Chai2 wrote

Quote:
The fear of knowing they need woman, and that women, left to their own devices, understand this.

That is why some men need to terrify, beat and shame women into believing they themselves are worthless.

One of the signs of their success is that women now shame each other.

EhBeth wrote...............

And at that point in time, it was a interesting thread. Interesting to see the take of men's thoughts on the said original post and then you trashed it!!!
timur

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:40 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
That goes to show how Max is prejudiced when it comes to women..
neologist

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:40 pm
@Setanta,
You're talking pork or maybe beef right?
I'd hate to hear of Adam cooking his ribs and eating his heart out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're pretty stupid, Whackeye, but Max puts you in the shade.
Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:43 pm
@timur,
Max doesn't seem to get anything when the subject is women.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:44 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

That goes to show how Max is prejudiced when it comes to women..

Anyone who builds up experience dealing with women is going to carry some preconceived ideas. Women are not all alike, but there are traits that tend to come up with most women. Any man who wants to be successful in his dealings with women best know what they are.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You're pretty stupid, Whackeye, but Max puts you in the shade.

I am not seeing what all the heat is about...Max puts up in this thread a position on rubbing out gender stereotypes and trying to judge on reason alone that is every European, very common.....how does that end up as being "trashing a thread"?
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 02:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
As a matter of fact, I'm not ready to take lessons from you as how to deal with women.

I'm not sure you can teach anyone anything about women.