Will Catholics be saved?

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:06 pm
I recently returned from a family visit. It was actually my husband's side of the family and they are very strong Christians. Now I grew up in a Catholic home, but did not really like the Catholic Church. As a result I have switched churches to a Protestant Church. Any hoot, one thing that struck me was the belief in non-Catholic Christians that Catholics will not be saved. One of these relatives stated this and I have heard others say the same thing. Now Catholics believe in Jesus as the Son of God, but yet these Christians do not consider Catholics Christians and believe they will not be saved. Why is that Catholics believe that any non-Catholic will not be saved and that other Christians believe Catholics will not be saved?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,729 • Replies: 51
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:20 pm
Linkat- It is really very simple. All groups want to be at the top of the pecking order, including religious groups. Religious groups also want to gain converts. So they ascribe benefits to their beliefs, and "deny" them to others.

The entire concept of being "saved" makes absolutely no sense to me, but I suppose that some people take the idea seriously.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:22 pm
It is not correct to say that Catholics believe that other Christians "will not be saved." Doctrine as it was taught when i was forced to attend catechism is that non-Catholics will have to do a stretch in Purgatory before they can go see Peter at the Pearly Gates. That sort of narrow-mindedness seems to me to be a hallmark of the fundamentalists and charismatics, and not something one encounters among "mainstream" Protestants, or the Catholic or Orthodox denominations.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:24 pm
<slik>

I'm Catholic.

Point is: Protestants are just frustrated. They now realize it was a real bad thing to leave the Pope some four hundred years ago; but they are just too proud to admit it. So they keep saying 'Catholics will not be saved'. They should know better.

Of course, this is all with a big :wink:

Seriously: I do not know for sure what the reason is some hard-line Catholics think Protestants will not be saved. I think it is because Catholics believe the Pope is the representative of God, and because Protestants don't believe that, Catholics think they will not be saved for this ignorance. But I do not think it is a real issue anymore among most Catholics. What I do know is that some Protestants in the Netherlands only refer Protestants to be Christians, just like you said.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:28 pm
Saved from what, exactly?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:30 pm
Hell, I guess. Or Judgment Day.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:32 pm
I think it's because Protestants weren't allowed to be molested by their priests when they were growing up. It really changes your outlook on being saved.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:35 pm
McGentrix = Protestant?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:05 pm
I should have clarified, Setanta, I meant in the sense that extremes of either group, not necessarily all. For example, the Church I got married in has very open thoughts, whereas I have also attended very closed-minded churches.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:12 pm
Typical McG hatefulness . . .

Linkat, i'm sure you're right on the money when it comes to ultramontane Catholics like Mel Gibson and his father--i'm glad you clarified, i doubt that describes most Catholics or Protestants.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:20 pm
modern christians who live on the high moral ground are not only terrified, but the ultimate conformists. there is no room for nuance, the stuff that makes us human, what-so-ever.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:07 am
There is no such concept as being "saved" (past tense. Completely action) in Catholicism. Catholics believe that salvation is a lifelong process whose outcome is revealed only upon judgement.

Most protestants believe that Catholics are saved. Many fundamentalists believe that they are not. The reason is two-fold.
1. The misconception that they worship false gods (Mary, the saints, the communion bread and wine).
2. But more importantly, Catholics believe that salvation is through faith and works. Protestants believe in salvation through faith alone (Luther's Sola Fide concept). Some protestants claim that a belief in faith plus works is insufficient faith and so therefore Catholics cannot be saved.

Though Catholics believe that salvation is a lifelong process they also believe that there is no salvation outside the Church. It's a slightly misleading concept since Catholics also believe that protestants by virtue of their baptism are members of the Church (though in an imperfect manner). They also believe that God's grace can transcend the physical Church thereby making salvation possible even to some non-Christians who through no fault of their own are in a state of "incurable ignorance" for which they may be inculpable. Most Catholics as well as most protestants tend to limit this "incurable ignorance" to those who have never heard the true gospel. But liberal Catholics and protestants may extend it to every non-Christian.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 07:33 am
Years ago, I pondered the differences between Catholic and Protestant beliefs (imagine me holding my hands about 18" apart) and thought "gee - that's quite a lot".

After living in Saudi Arabia for the past 12 years, when I popnder the beliefs of the local population, my left hand would have to stretch all the way onshore to show the difference.

All of a sudden, the differences between Catholics and Protestants are mostly cosmetic to me.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 07:48 am
ye110man wrote:
Most protestants believe that Catholics are saved. Many fundamentalists believe that they are not. The reason is two-fold.
1. The misconception that they worship false gods (Mary, the saints, the communion bread and wine).

I heard a lot of comments from Protestants about this when I lived in OK (never heard it anywhere else so it came as a bit of a surprise to me.) but there are a lot of them that think Catholics are into idol worship and many that think Catholics consider Mary to be God-like herself.

Having gone to a Catholic grade school I was a bit shocked to hear all of that! lol
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:47 am
My church lies within me. It is my own personal belief in Jesus Christ. I truely do not believe in denominations. For exactly the reason being discussed in this thread.

A lot of your denominational churches are constantly pointing their fingers at each other. Telling the other you will burn in hell. That they are the one true church......blah blah blah.

It's no wonder some people want nothing to do with religion. Quite frankly, I wouldn't either if that is how I had to live with my belief.

They act like a bunch of unruely children playing in the same sandbox.....and they don't play well together at all.

It is no ones inherent right, just because they are a Christian to judge anyone else.

~Brooke
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 01:29 pm
As an atheist throughout my adult life, and well before i became an adult, i would like to say that if there were more opinions as penetrating, with as much dignified humility as is expressed by JBB, the world would be much easier for us all to get along in.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:08 am
I agree fishin. I always considered it a big difference between saints and God. I never connected the thought that praying to a saint was considered idol worship.

Justa_babbling - I can understand why you would feel that way. But there are many Christian Churches that support your way of thinking. Many in which they do not judge. They will give you guidance and the minister will give her/his way of thinking, but leave the decisions up to you. They do not think one church is correct in their thinking over another. It was very refreshing when I attended such a church.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:59 am
Re: Will Catholics be saved?
Linkat wrote:
I recently returned from a family visit. It was actually my husband's side of the family and they are very strong Christians. Now I grew up in a Catholic home, but did not really like the Catholic Church. As a result I have switched churches to a Protestant Church. Any hoot, one thing that struck me was the belief in non-Catholic Christians that Catholics will not be saved. One of these relatives stated this and I have heard others say the same thing. Now Catholics believe in Jesus as the Son of God, but yet these Christians do not consider Catholics Christians and believe they will not be saved. Why is that Catholics believe that any non-Catholic will not be saved and that other Christians believe Catholics will not be saved?

Catholicism is about as removed from Judaism/Christianity as you can get. It's a bizarre cult. It's original purpose was strictly political; to that end it adopted many pagan rites to appease the masses. When it became codified - at the infamous Councils - they took great pains to rewrite Christian doctrine...things like Christ's celibacy for example. Jesus was a Rabbi, you can't be a Rabbi if you're not married because part of a Rabbi's function is to be an advisor: how can you advise about something you know nothing of? Jews understood this basic truth a long time ago.

Most modern Catholic scholars - not those 90 year old's with the bleeding palms but the younger generation - now believe that Jesus was married and had children. The evidence is in the bible itself and in tradition. In fact, one could make a strong case that being unmarried is a sin against god.

But all of this is moot anyway: there is no god, it's a fairy tale, not unlike Santa Claus and Progressive Conservativism. So relax.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:01 am
Setanta wrote:
As an atheist throughout my adult life, and well before i became an adult, i would like to say that if there were more opinions as penetrating, with as much dignified humility as is expressed by JBB, the world would be much easier for us all to get along in.

I'd like to point out that you harangued me for making a similar jab at another poster a few days ago, thus highlighting the fact that you are a hypocritical poopy head.

To reiterate: I'm awesome.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:24 am
Re: Will Catholics be saved?
IronLionZion wrote:
Most modern Catholic scholars - not those 90 year old's with the bleeding palms but the younger generation - now believe that Jesus was married and had children. The evidence is in the bible itself and in tradition. In fact, one could make a strong case that being unmarried is a sin against god.

But all of this is moot anyway: there is no god, it's a fairy tale, not unlike Santa Claus and Progressive Conservativism. So relax.

I don't know if you were purposely trying to be ironic or what. Seems like you believe in the Da Vinci Code fairy tale.
0 Replies