Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 10:53 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Quote:
Ossobucco: In my view, many wars could have used some rebelling by the soldiers. (I'm particularly remembering reading about My Lai and similar excursions by us recently, egads.)

Oh but but but... behaving as brainless cannon fodder and mass murderers is what's brave and honorable, ya know?
Thats why the French have never been accused of being brave and honourable .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:13 pm
@contrex,
There was no newspaper advertisement as described.

Here is a book that mentions it on Pg 216 :
Making and Marketing Arms: The French Experience and Its Implications for the International System
Edward A. Kolodziej
Princeton University Press, 14 Jul 2014 - Business & Economics - 556 pages
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:13 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Quote:
I noticed a remark earlier that the French army was the only one in which mutinies occurred in World War 1.
Where ? Post the ref.
Étaples Mutiny for instance. And those at Boulogne, Le Havre ... (Not mentioning those in 1919, when Britain came close to a workers and soldiers uprising.)
Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:16 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Two years after the Falklands war.
So tell me of one of your loved ones who died 2 years ago and I will do the same for you as the glorious Aerospatiale arseholes have done for British families .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
The German headquarters kept it secret because they feared, Germans could do the very same.
That is good policy but I very much doubt the German Army of 1917-1918 had the morale problems of the French .
Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Quote:
I noticed a remark earlier
Quote:
Étaples Mutiny for instance. And those at Boulogne, Le Havre ... (Not mentioning those in 1919, when Britain came close to a workers and soldiers uprising.)
No, where is the remark...
Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:22 pm
http://www.newsweek.com/code-breakers-114221
Quote:
Then, in early December, while Howard and Grazer were in Paris auditioning actresses for the film's female lead, they got a call from the office of French President Jacques Chirac inviting them to swing by and say bonjour . "We thought it was going to be a five-minute thing, like a trip to the Oval Office--a photo and a handshake," says Grazer. But Chirac asked them to sit down and get comfortable. Coffee was poured. They ended up staying close to an hour. Chirac insisted that his guests alert him if their request to film at the Louvre hit any snags. Not only that, he offered them some... pointers. He suggested they cast his daughter's best friend--an actress of some acclaim in France--in the role of Sophie Neveu, the elegant young cryptographer at the heart of the book's mystery. And he wondered aloud, half seriously, if they could sweeten the paycheck for actor Jean Reno, who'd already been cast as the relentless French detective Bezu Fache. "That was hilarious," says Howard. "Fortunately the deal was already closed."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:26 pm
@Ionus,
I can't remember having posted something about a "remark". Can you give me a clue?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:32 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
That is good policy but I very much doubt the German Army of 1917-1918 had the morale problems of the French .
I hear you. But Soldiers' Councils didn't come out from the nothing. (Hint: Kiel mutiny.)
Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I dont think you did, I dont think anyone did, Contrex said he noticed a remark earlier without saying who posted it . Contrex said :
Quote:
I noticed a remark earlier that the French army was the only one in which mutinies occurred in World War 1.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I think we can agree that whilst the French Army waited for the Americans to fight for them, and the British Army had to mount offensives to take the pressure off the French and thus stop them from running away, the German Army was genuinely shocked at the surrender .
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 07:25 am
@ossobuco,
Red it -- odd flow but the interviews were interesting, especially those of the victims but also of the perpetrators. Also the discovery of another village nearby where another massacre happened, which implies some concerted planning ahead of the massacres.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 06:13 am
So....apart from the diversion where a Frenchman called me a coward...I have proved the things that he called me a liar about really did take place . I expect an apology, but when dealing with people like this, arrogance and stupidity come long before dignity and honour .

Depite this, I still maintain all the French I came across in my travels have been very likeable, polite, respectful people . I guess I found the arsehole that makes the others look good .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 06:32 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Depite this, I still maintain all the French I came across in my travels have been very likeable, polite, respectful people .
Certainement, c'est une belle description des Français, surtout quand tu parle avec eux dans leur langue - même si ton vocabulaire est rudimentaire.
On the other hand, I've noticed that they can be quite the opposite when talking to and with them in English.
Ionus

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 06:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Very Happy I like you Walt...are you married ? Wink
In the Pacific where pidgin French/Creole is spoken a lot, they can be uppity about English but in Asia they are quite happy to speak English . On a French island a friend and I were trying to organise our taxi when the Frenchman walked off saying (in pidgin French) that he didnt talk to English speaking fools whereupon my friend dragged him across the counter and told him he would put him in intensive care unless he helped . Suddenly his English was better than mine .... Very Happy
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 07:30 am
@Ionus,
Well, my response was related to French in the French speaking country France. Regarding your question about my family status: since you research old threads, you'll certainly come that, including photos.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 09:05 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
.I have proved the things that he called me a liar about really did take place .

No they did not. The ad in the Economist was published 2 years after the Falklands war; Chirac never proposed his niece as an actress and only offered to help on the Louvre filming authorization; and "inocent until proven guilty" has been a cornerstone of French law since 1789. You are a serial liar.

Quote:
I expect an apology

Why? Did I burst your hemorrhoids?
Ionus

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 09:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Just kidding, mate . My status as a homosexual is based on my total lack of success as a heterosexual, rather than any activity .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 09:22 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Why? Did I burst your hemorrhoids?
qu'est-ce que ? A homosexual Frenchman who calls soldiers cowards, can not admit he was wrong, and is obnoxiously without honour or dignity...c'est impossible !

The story of your bullshit is above for all to see . As for hemorrhoid busting, wont you need a dick for that ?
Olivier5

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 09:27 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
As for hemorrhoid busting, wont you need a dick for that ?

I wouldn't want to catch AIDS... A broom would suffice.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:57:25