Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 11:04 am
@Olivier5,
In one book (Edward A. Kolodziej: The French Experience and Its Implications for the International System, Princeton University Press, 2014) it is mentioned that it was published in The Economist's edition of September 8, 1984, on page 37.
The footnote unfortunately didn't mention what edition it had been (North America, Europe, Britain, Africa, Middle East, Asia or Latin America) - but I suppose, it was that for North America.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 11:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
1984 heh? So it was not even during the Falklands war... Yet another lie from Ioio.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 11:24 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
All nations in WW1 had incompetent officers, only the French mutinied .

Because we're not robots. If more soldiers had revolted against their officers, that war would have killed less people.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 11:38 am
@Olivier5,
My mistake: the footnotes aren't online for the chapter where it is noted (I quoted from a different one). Sorry!
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 11:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
No mistake. I checked the article posted by Ioio and indeed, the reported ad dates to 1984. Two years after the Falklands war.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 01:31 pm
@Olivier5,
In my view, many wars could have used some rebelling by the soldiers. (I'm particularly remembering reading about My Lai and similar excursions by us recently, egads.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 01:33 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

In my view, many wars could have used some rebelling by the soldiers.
The German headquarters kept it secret because they feared, Germans could do the very same.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 01:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
After three years of insane carnage, you'd think even the most brainwashed militarist clown would start to object. And those mutineers got something for their fight: the end of mass suicidal offensives where the troops were treated as expandable cannon fodder.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 01:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
In my view, many wars could have used some rebelling by the soldiers. (I'm particularly remembering reading about My Lai and similar excursions by us recently, egads.)

Oh but but but... behaving as brainless cannon fodder and mass murderers is what's brave and honorable, ya know?
contrex

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 03:56 pm
I noticed a remark earlier that the French army was the only one in which mutinies occurred in World War 1. This is not so. There were a number of mutinies in the British Army in 1917 and 1918, all well documented.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:18 pm
@Olivier5,
I knew about My Lai, but not as much as I do now.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/03/30/the-scene-of-the-crime
ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:25 pm
On the frogs, I'm the one who added the wrongly worded tag about apologia.
I was kidding and it should in any case have been Apologia pro vita Grenouilles.
I haven't been able to fix it, including removing the tag, so it goes.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:31 am
@ossobuco,
Not sure I can summon the courage to read this, but thanks anyway.

This is indie-pop, on listening about a war crime (sounds like My Lai) on the radio. It starts slow but picks up energy as it goes.

Okkervil River - The War Criminal Rises and Speaks

Olivier5

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:42 am
@ossobuco,
Pro vita ranarum?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 12:28 pm
@Olivier5,
The lyrics -
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/okkervilriver/thewarcriminalrisesandspeaks.html
Olivier5

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 02:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Nice - now listening to the CD (Down the River of Golden Dreams). It's exactly what I need.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 03:21 pm
@Olivier5,
It's worth it, if you can stand it, explains a lot re what was going on, interviews with different people, including victims but also shooters, and the background for that. Not a fast read.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 03:25 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll get to it. It's important that we try and remember, face and even understand these things.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 10:50 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
I noticed a remark earlier that the French army was the only one in which mutinies occurred in World War 1.
Where ? Post the ref.

Did any of these other mutinies have the same impact as the Fench ?
Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 10:51 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
After three years of insane carnage, you'd think even the most brainwashed militarist clown would start to object. And those mutineers got something for their fight: the end of mass suicidal offensives where the troops were treated as expandable cannon fodder.
Instead, their allies had to do all the work...lovely !
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:56:59