Help, my car won't start!

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 07:11 pm
I have a 1963 Chevy Impala. It has always ran like a champ with no major issues. The other day I went to start it and, nothing. At first I assumed my battery was dead so I took it out and tested it and it wasn't. Just be be on the safe side, i purchased a new battery and put that in and still nothing. No click, no buzz, the lights arent working. Nothing at all. I tried knocking on the starter while someone turned the key and nothing. I made sure the battery was connected right and that the terminals were in decent shape and still nothing. What else could it be? Maybe fuses??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 896 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 07:19 pm
@Dodgerguy562,
That was going to be my question. Did you check the fuses?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 08:25 pm
@Dodgerguy562,
Won't Start Symptoms:

[edit: in rereading this message of yours, I'd look at whether the new battery is putting out voltage. Let's assume hypothetically the battery is good after checking it with a voltmeter, I'd check the cable and the connectors. My best guess is you'll need to replace either the connectors or the cables or both. but you need to verify using a voltmeter. ]

[Edit #2: if you car has sat for awhile a short somewhere or corrosion might have set in..or a dome light or glove box light was left on could have drained your old battery. Another problem could have developed after putting a new battery in. You may not have a good solid connection or have a bad cable or connector after re-installing the new battery.]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Your car may not start for a number of reasons. The following list outlines the most common circumstances and tells you what action you can take to try to remedy each situation:

• If the engine was running JUST before it died, it’s probably not the fault of the battery, solenoid, or starter.

• The car is silent when you turn the key in the ignition. Check the battery terminal cable connections. (See How to Check Your Car Battery.) If they look very corroded, force the point of a screwdriver (with an insulated or wooden handle) between the connector and the terminal post and twist it to lodge it firmly. Then try to start the engine. If it starts, you need to clean or replace your cables.

• The car makes a clicking noise but won't start. This sound usually means a dead battery. If not, check the wiring to and from the starter for a loose connection.

• The car cranks over but won't start. Check the fuel supply to your engine. If that's okay, check whether the electrical spark is getting to your spark plugs.

• The engine starts but dies. If your car has a carburetor, check your carburetor adjustment and your choke to see whether the choke is first closing and then opening. If you have fuel injection, you'll need professional help.

• The car won't start on rainy days. Check inside the distributor cap for dampness. If you find moisture, get some mechanic's solvent from your friendly service station — they use it to clean car parts — or buy an aerosol can of it at an auto supply store. To evaporate any dampness inside the distributor cap, turn the cap upside down and pour or spray some solvent into it. Swish it around and pour it out. Then dry the cap as best you can with a clean, lint-free rag and replace the cap.

Use only clean solvent; even a tiny speck of dirt can foul the points. Gasoline won't do because a spark can ignite gasoline fumes and cause an explosion or a fire.

• The car won't start on cold mornings. For vehicles with carburetors, check the choke. Is it closed? Does it open? If you have fuel injection, you'll need to have a professional diagnose the cold-start problems.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 10:52 pm
@Dodgerguy562,
wanna sell it?

sounds like a bad ground
0 Replies