George

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:26 am
I'm trying to think of something to honer Stoneham...
sushi pizza?
sushi doughnut?
hmmmm...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:29 am
hmmm... wisconsin... johnsonville maki, i suppose: bratwurst and cheddar.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:32 am
George, sushi pizza is actually quite a popular item here. It's basically a pan-seared disc of sushi rice topped with kewpie mayo, raw salmon or salmon skin, green onions and flying fish roe. They just cut it up into wee triangles. It's not my favorite, but it's not bad.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:33 am
Used to get these garlic mussels at a place called -- very original -- Takara, until I realized the sauce was just garlicky mayo. Never tasted the same after that (but was so good when I was ignorant of it).
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:43 am
cavfancier wrote:
George, sushi pizza is actually quite a popular item here. It's basically a pan-seared disc of sushi rice topped with kewpie mayo, raw salmon or salmon skin, green onions and flying fish roe. They just cut it up into wee triangles. It's not my favorite, but it's not bad.

...but a Stoneham sushi pizza would include Italian sausage...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:44 am
Yikes! That would indeed be scary George.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:41 pm
mmmmmmmmm
there's a place on the Danforth that makes great sushi pizza
mmmmmm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:24 pm
goddam-thats just wrong. Hamster had it right, the flavors are delicate only the wasabi destroys.

Ill bet Tim Horton has a sushi donut
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:28 pm
You guys lost me back there when you started talking about sushi pizza. LOL
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:32 pm
I hated the thought of eating sushi 'til my sister took me to a place in Vancouver. Everything was good , but I disliked the sea urchin. Now I go to a place that has a sushi buffet. But I prefer to sit in front of the chefs, at the little bar.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 06:58 pm
unagi hand roll

A smoked eel section is coated with a duck and soy sauce with sesame paste. the eels are put in a microwave for about 25 seconds on high
make a hand square and put the unagi on top and wrap the whole thing in a ribbon of nori.
add a dollop of salty salmon eggs or char eggs. this one is sweet and salty and doesnt need any soy or wasabi. It is good on its own. im gonna have to go eel trapping this early fall (like late September before the eels head back out to sea they are easily trapped or gigged (fishing is done at night with all the eeltakers crouched around a fire drinking a beverage of their choice
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 07:03 pm
farmerman, Sounds like fun. Unagi is one of my wife's favorite. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 03:13 pm
I remember trying to describe this sushi once on a2k, but I've lost it to that ether, and besides, I liked rereading this thread.

Finally I find a recipe to make it myself, but no way I'd try it in this lousy, er, miserable-for-fish city.

I loved these things, spicy tuna hand rolls, then made at Tomo Deli..

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Spicy-Tuna-Hand-Roll
Tomo's had sliced fresh raw tuna, not chopped, but otherwise it seems similar. One was enough for lunch, unless I broke down and also ordered some gyoza.
http://www2.worldpub.net/images/saveurmag/626-63_spicy_tuna_hand_roll_300.jpg

MAKES 8
This Japanese specialty requires very fresh fish.
1 1/2 cups short-grain Japanese rice
1 1/2" piece konbu (dried sea kelp)
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
10 oz. very fresh yellowfin or bigeye tuna,
chopped
1 scallion, trimmed and finely chopped
4 tsp. sriracha chile sauce
4 tsp. Asian chili oil
2 tbsp. masago (smelt roe)
4 sheets yaki-nori (toasted seaweed),
halved crosswise

1. Put rice into a medium pot, cover with water, and swish around with your hand until water clouds. Drain; repeat process 3–4 more times, until water remains clear. Drain again, return rice to pot, add sea kelp and 1I cups water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until liquid barely covers rice, 8–10 minutes; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and steam until rice is tender, 15–20 minutes more; discard sea kelp.
2. Transfer rice to a large bowl. Allow to cool briefly. Dissolve sugar and salt in vinegar in a small bowl, add to rice, and gently stir with a wooden spoon until rice is just warm.
3. Combine tuna, scallions, chile sauce, oil, and roe in a bowl and set aside. Position 1 sheet of seaweed, shiny side down, with long edge parallel to edge of work surface. Spread 1/4 cup of the rice onto left third of seaweed. Spread 2-3 tbsp. of the tuna mixture over rice and tuna on the diagnol. Repeat process with the remaining seaweed, rice, and tuna.

A photo from another site - (Eileen Likes to Eat blog)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3574/3841419658_b2943124d5.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 04:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Shame on you, osso. Those pictures made me hungry! Laughing Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 04:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ahhh, I crave some good sushi.
Once in a while I do make some so called sushi tofu pockets -
http://www.diy-sushi-recipes.com/inari-sushi.html

I buy the pockets from the amazingly small asian section in my local grocery - I forget the actual name of the product, which I think starts with M. Anyway, I make up a bunch of them at a time and have snacks or breakfasts for a while - using this and that from my refrigerator (besides rice, chopped scallions or ginger or whatever.)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 05:04 pm
Wow, those 2 dishes really do look good.

Although I have to admit, I'm not much for the wasabi (I like those wasabi pea snacks though) or the french ginger.

Soy sauce is good enough for me.

ah sushi....comfort food.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 05:20 pm
@chai2,
Yes! I'm deprived. I've some photos somewhere in my stuff of tuna caught in our immediate area of Eureka/Arcata. Fresh fish was wonderful there, and a key livelihood.

I've horrible tuna catching stories too, but not re the locals, re sports fisherman far to the south who were not in any way sports. A friend was a captain who quit.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
First time I and later husband had sushi or sashimi, was when a guy I worked with, a driver for the lab, told me about sushi. This might have been, oh, '76.

My ex was then a sometime handyman and early playwright, thus not earning much at all, a pattern that would continue, and I had a decent salary which did not amount to much. However, I look back at it as my best, by the time I left that lab.

We offered to treat him, if he'd join us.
He ordered up. That's the time I had raw sea urchin, which I whine about a long time later. And something with fresh quail eggs - I'm egg picky.
But among all that, there was much I liked.
The bill neared a hundred dollars. That was big money then, and now too. More huge then.

The good deli I mentioned earlier isn't there anymore, replaced by another, a place called Hana. Still, it was then and may be now that it is great pleasure to pull off of highway 101 and have some delicious food.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 05:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Now, all this time later, I don't understand why we didn't see money mounting, and it might have been simple, he had the list.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, "Hana" is flower.