cavfancier

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:44 pm
Cinnesthesia wrote:
cavfancier wrote:
No offense, but I'm really not on your wavelength here, apparently. Can we keep the discussion on topic? Thanks in advance

Wow. Sorry, Cav. I didn't mean to offend. And forgive me for going all off-topic on you.

Don't worry about it. I just didn't get it. Probably a brain fart from too many oysters. Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:55 pm
ehBeth wrote:
malpeques mmmmmmmmmm
sushi mmmmmmmmmmmm
pickled ginger mmmmmmmmmmmmm
i once freaked out a lunch companion (big time lawyer guy) cuz i ate a dish and a half of the pickled ginger - it's too much for him, and as a result he seemed too think i'd be the same Rolling Eyes foooooool
had a blue burger on tuesday, which freaked out tuesday's lunch companion. he'd never had beef that wasn't well-done. idjit

Hey! what is it with men and food delicacies?
I can't speak for every man, but I grew up believing I didn't like vegetables or anything out of the ordinary. My mom wasn't much of a cook, so perhaps that's why I preferred everything simple. I don't think I even tried half the things I thought I didn't like. And some of the stuff I did try, I was already so thoroughly convinced I didn't like it that I mentally blocked any chance I had of liking it.

The darlin I referenced earlier cured me by nagging until hell wouldn't have it. "Try it with open mind Bill". After trying and liking 5 or 6 things in a row, that I though I didn't like, I was cured. Since then I'll try anything and when I travel I tend to tell the waitress to surprise me with whatever she'd eat if she were me. It's almost always delicious.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:59 pm
Hey! Didja kick Setanta's butt yet?
Did I miss it?

Good work on trying foods.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:05 pm
Hey, you know I remember a time when I had oysters now. It was in Florida, and I think it might have been at some beach bar/restaurant near Daytona...I think I liked them. Cav, that vodka/habanero pepper idea sounds really good.

I don't know much about oysters. By the way, what is Oysters Rockefeller? I think they seve--I mean serve that at the Oyster Bar in Grand Central, which is supposed to be a pretty great restaurant. Maybe I'll check it out.

Bill you may see me someday soon, since moving to Florida next year is an idea I've been kicky-ing around in my head lately. Where exactly is palm beach anyway? How far south of Daytona are you?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:07 pm
Nope. Actually when I said hello, he ignored me. I think he's pissed. Embarrassed I'm still glad to see him back though, and he already made laugh like a fool with his "for starters, this is a hardware store" joke. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:56 pm
kickycan wrote:
Where exactly is Palm Beach anyway? How far south of Daytona are you?

Daytona isn't really Florida dude. Palm beach is 30 minutes north of Ft. Lauderdale, 50 from Miami. Probably 3 hrs from Daytona at a good clip.
The weather up there isn't "semi-tropic" like it is here. If you don't have a special reason for choosing Daytona, I'd check out Ft. Lauderdale or Boca first.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:17 pm
Bill, I wasn't thinking of moving to Daytona. It was just a point of reference for me, since I was thinking Orlando, at first, because I lived there for three years, I know my way around, and I kind of like the city, for some reason. Plus, I still know a couple people there. I use to go down to South Beach every once in a while, and I've been to Fort Lauderdale once. It was like some happy hour somewhere...very nice area.

I have a college friend who I used to visit in Boca. We went to Deerfield beach when I was there. Oh ****, I think I'm derailing this thread. Embarrassed Okay, yadda yadda yadda, I don't know where I'm going to move yet, I just love talking about moving to Florida lately. Sorry. Back to the sushi discussion.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:30 pm
Here kicky:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/app/erstas-rock.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:33 pm
cav, Some guy in Oregon got a hold of a wasabe (horseradish) root, and started his own farm. He's now doing great business to restaurants not only in the US, but in Japan. Real wasabe is hot like chili and is 100 percent horseradish. Fake wasabe (much cheaper) is common - which is mixed with other ingredients such as mustard, cornstarch and food color.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:35 pm
That is cool, c.i. Do you have the contact info?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:39 pm
cav, This is all I can find. The story about the wasabe grower in Oregon was some years ago, and I don't remember where I saw it. http://www.globalgarden.com/Chile-Heads/Archives/vol.19980318/1182.html
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:43 pm
I'll plow through c.i. Thanks!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:03 pm
Since we're talking about 'spice' this link should be of interest to most. http://channels.netscape.com/ns/homerealestate/package.jsp?name=homerealestate/curcumin/curcumin&floc=HR_1-L3
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:25 am
cavfancier wrote:
Depends on the kind of sushi hamster.

'zat one of your new recipes, Cav?

Love sushi... Love it. When I was a wee sprat the old man used to take us to NYC on occasion to Sushi Ginza, in Times Square, right around the corner from the Marlboro Man blowing 20 foot smoke rings.

Daddy has a Harbor Seal
It's made Dad's life quite cushy
He's training it to share it's catch
So now he feeds it sushi.

Best sushi: Genji, Boston (gone)
Gyuhama, Boston
Tatsukichi in Brookline MA
and these days
Bamboo in Westford MA

My mother tells of the time they went fishing and caught a tuna. Motored back to the Woods Hole town pier, which is just behind a raw bar, with deck seating. So she and hubby cleaned the fish, and started eating chunks of it right there... blood dribbling down their chins.

A Larry Niven scifi short story involves a bar that caters to ETs. The owner gets invited to a hunt by one species. Turns out the reason he was invited was that he had eaten sushi, so the aliens likes the smell of raw flesh on his breath...

I love sushi...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:30 am
Hmm...hamster sushi....the tiny loins might just fit on a ball of rice.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:04 am
many of the 'local makis' that are made up to honor a city are really gross. If ya wanna barf heres just a few i recall

The philly cheesesteak roll--dont go there

Denver hot sushi--chopped up trout in a mayo sauce stuffed in a roll -blaaaggghhh

NAwlins roll----shrimp slightly steamed , chopped, and served with tabasco in a roll--really sux

They are growing some of the best nori weed in our town o eastport Maine. If youve ever had a maki that the seaweeed roll is thicker, thats a maine nori.

CI- Im gonna have to try that wasabi from Oregon. Im almost out of the bags that I got in china and Im not going back for at least another year. Wasabi doesnt keep well in the powder form, after a year it loses the punch.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:17 am
Farmer, if you get some of the Oregon stuff, let me know where you got it and how much it was.

Your stories of the strange city-makis do really sound untasty.
I think it's always a disgusting thing when someone tries to combine heavy and undelicious things with the light and almost artisitc cuisine of Japan.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:55 am
philly cheesesteak roll???
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:57 am
patiodog wrote:
philly cheesesteak roll???

Yeah, that just sounds like Satan Sushi to me.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:26 am
thehamster wrote:
.... I'd rather rever to myself as huge, handsome, and equipped...

Then you won't fit on hamster sushi. Hmm. Here, hold these strips of pickled ginger. Thanks.
0 Replies