dvd burning

bennett

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:04 am
please can some one tell me how can i burn a film off my hard drive onto dvd disk, i have a dvd burner installed thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,824 • Replies: 26
No top replies

profhig

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 05:54 pm
To do this you will need DVD burning software. Search google.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:38 pm
I know this topic is old and I didn't want to start a thread.

Anyways I use Nero to burn all my stuff.

When I'm trying to burn .avi files to a DVD I'm getting errors, why is that?

Do I need to convert .avi into something else (.mpeg4) before I can burn it onto DVD?

How about the DVDs? I use Maxell? Any good?

I heard they were good and they're pretty expensive and yet all they're giving me are errors.

The Maxell DVDs did I grab the wrong brand to burn .avi stuff?

What other types of DVDs would you recommend?

Thanks.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 06:21 pm
AbleIIKnow_wong,

You need to convert it into DVD-format first, and author it properly. A DVD-movie is basically an MPEG 2-video stream plus an audio stream of MP2-format, AC3 or PCM. For instructions on how to do this, consult for example http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/avi2dvdr.htm

Note that this may not be a very simple guide if you're not used to this kind of things, and it will probably take some time. In most cases its perhaps easier to convert it to VCD as most stand alone DVD-players have support for this format, or perhaps to use TV-out on the video card if you want to watch AVI:s on a TV. A third option may be to obtain a DVD-player capable of playing AVI-files.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:46 pm
Oh okay, so I have to convert the .avi file before I burn it? (to prevent errors on it).
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 04:47 am
Perhaps I misunderstood your question. I was assuming that you were trying to burn a DVD that you could watch in any stand alone DVD-player. But perhaps all you wanted to do were to burn avi-files onto DVDs for storage? If so, the file type should be of no consequence whatsoever. When it comes to DVD-media, most brands of discs should work fine. I personally use cheap Datamart DVD+R, and they've worked flawlessly so far.

Anyhow, what kind of errors do you get, and have you been able to successfully burn other files in the past?
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:22 pm
Yes, that's exactly right. My purpose is to store (.avi) files onto a DVD. Anyways I used CD-Rs before because I wasn't able to burn (.avi) files with Nero. It kept giving me errors...

Hmmm... I'll have to get back later on this post because it was awhile ago that I tried to burn something. And I forget what types of errors they were giving me.

What kind of burning software are you using? I used a cheap one in the past and it worked (I think it came with the computer). Now I'm just not sure what to use. I thought Nero was the best.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:33 am
Nero should be fine. It's hard for me to help you, though, if you can't be more specific about what kind of errors you get. There is no reason why there should be problems with one filetype if another works fine. At least not unless you have some kind of plugin for Nero that tries to do some kind of conversion or similar with avi-files.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 05:19 am
You're welcome
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:23 am
Gelisgesti, yes I believe DVD Shrink is for movies only.

My true intentions are just to back up .avi files (on the hard drive) on to a dvd. It all should be simple yet I'm still getting problems.

Deveron/Gelisgesti/anybody the errors I'm getting are when I use Nero Express it keeps on telling me that I need to convert the .avi files into .ISO, .VOB, etc. just like the DVD Shrink does.

However I was just wondering how am I suppose to convert .AVI files that are already in my hard drive into .ISO, .VOB or (dot whatever the proper format is for me to burn with Nero (or any software that's capable of....))???

I know this is probably going to be something simple in the end, thanks.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:44 am
What steps are you taking in Nero Express? Are you telling it you want to burn a "Data Disc," or something else?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:48 am
If you just want to copy files... .avi or whtevr,make a data disk and follow prompts
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:53 am
Hmmmm.... I'll give that a shot and get back to ya.....
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:10 pm
Yes, okay the data disk finally works....

Sorry what do you mean by "follow prompts?" Follow prompts of the Nero settings?
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:14 pm
Hmmmm... whenever I'm trying to open up Nero it says that it doesn't recognize the disk.

Where do I go to convert the data files into a format where it can be viewed in "media windows player."
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:18 pm
Did you "finalize" the disk session? That may be required.

The .avi files ought to be able to be viewed by media player, so long as the dvd drive is able to read the dvd disk. It reads the file just as if it was on your hard drive.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:23 pm
After copying the data disk, can I go back to "finalize" the disk?

Is the "data disk" format not compatible with media player?

Do I need a DVD video plug-in in order to do so?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:29 pm
I believe you can go back and finalize it, if you don't want to add any more files to the disk.

The "data disk" format should create a disk that is not dissimilar from a hard drive. You ought to be able to read data files from it just as if the files were stored on a hard drive instead of the disk.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:40 pm
Sorry about that how am I suppose to go back and finalize the disk?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:53 pm
Do you just have "Nero Express," or do you also have "Nero Burning ROM"?
0 Replies