My Oil painting is flaking

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 10:49 am
how do I retouch it? .... retouch varnish? and how do I keep it from flaking anymore.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 378 • Replies: 1
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 02:40 pm
@Judith Daniel,
If its a painting that is worth keeping. Make sure that any restorations are REVERSIBLE so that fuuture restorations (with better media) can remove what youve done.
I was at the Winterthur conservation lab a few years ago nd they were doing a restoration of a MONET that was in the collection of the Philly Art Mueum. They were testing the varnishes and colors and then, hen they did the restoration, they put down a lyer of something that was soluble over the damaged area. Then the restoration was done atop this and it was done with a totally different kind of pint chemistry (they used an acrylic which was pinted and daubed into the damaged area aand then wiped carefully so that , while the colors matched, you could still see a bit where the damage scratches were. Then they put a water soluble varnish.

PS, they cleaned the painting throroughly before they did any restoration and used lot of cue tips aand enzymes that were actually made to have much the same chemistry as saliva.
When they claned the painting it was amazing how, later when you saw it back on the wall, it was so much brighter.

0 Replies