Another day when there is no God

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 05:39 am
@Smileyrius,
I just saw this post--there are some so-called strong atheists, perhaps all of them, who should be considered antitheists. I'm not antitheist, but i don't want anyone p*ssing in my Wheaties, whether we're talking religion, theism or politics or ideology. As i've said here many, many times, this only comes up online, the subject is not a part of my real life.

It's a tempestuous teapot for me.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 06:42 am
@Setanta,
No I said it wasn't a pun. I was rather disappointed having got all excited at the prospect of another one of your whimsical ribticklers, but never mind. I do think it's very clever of you to compare yourself to Albert Einstein. I know you're very smart, the fact that you keep pointing it out is proof enough, but I never realised you were that smart, oh crikey smart.

I feel humbled.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 12:07 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I'm not thin-skinned, .

On the contrary, you appeare to have none at all. What is the source of the anger and bile you spout out so readily at the mere expression of a though or opinion by another poster? Are you thsat threatened by the fact that others often see things somewhat differently than you?
Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 01:19 pm
@izzythepush,
I did not, of course, compare myself to Einstein. This is a problem or your misunderstanding--not everything is about you, or me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 01:20 pm
@georgeob1,
Yeah, you wish you could get one of your silly bitch fights going on that basis. Actually, though, you have described Izzy to a "tee."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 03:31 pm
http://everydaypowerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/carl-sagan-quotes-1.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 06:57 pm
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/85/b3/09/85b3094a456d99271f0c7985ed43b42d.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 07:15 pm
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2hiDcid2Zk0/UjolbVJMrBI/AAAAAAAAIzQ/PN5-xYUgrKQ/s1600/mark-twain-quotes-world-imbeciles.jpg
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 08:01 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
I think the big difference between one who is an atheist and one who is without religion, is the motivation with which one opposes theism. Would they be better labelled Antitheists?

For this you were reprimanded and you apologized for it but to deny that some atheists are in-fact anti-theist is a denial of reality.

I don't mean that as a criticism. I respect anyone who holds a reasoned opposition to something they think is destructive, and some of them clearly do think that. Still others use that as a rationalization for their rejection of theism for other reasons - mainly disillusionment for one reason or another.

To complicate matters, there are religions which are in fact destructive.

To izzy's point of how/why people answer questionairs about 'beliefs', it's true that many simply do not give the matter any thought, at least at the point in life when they are asked.

Because I have no religious affiliation, I have answered the question as 'no religion' but anyone who has seen my posts on a2k knows that answer tells nothing about my beliefs. So I think the questionairs should give 'None of your buisness' or 'None of the above' as a choice. At least that would give the survey people the idea they're asking stupid simplistic questions about something they don't have a clue about.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 04:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
don't try to twist it into something else.
Like you are with atheism? Wink

I think this has been batted around on A2K somewhere before - but I believe you can be an atheist and religious (which is kind of what you're saying about 'the strict code of atheists' (which I have never seen and would appreciate you pointing me at).

Atheism (to me, of course) a sense of having 'seen' no proof of the existence of god(s). That's it. Your suggestion that it has codified strictures seems, to me, like saying everyone who doesn't believe in Santa Claus belongs to a cult.

My understanding of Buddhism is that it doesn't believe in gods (so atheist) - but I wouldn't suggest that means Buddhists aren't religious.

PS - your lads were unlucky not to grab all 3 at Filbert Street 2.0.
CrisTianUk

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 06:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
If you say there is nothing then how come you are able to type with your fingers.

Truly truly i tell you "you will receive nothing from God because you asked for nothing"
0 Replies

CrisTianUk

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 07:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
i feel sorry for you guys
You live in places with unbelievers where there is no work of God seen around

When i lived in my country i could hear things happening by the hand of God
One for example: one of my father friend had hes house burned down and everything went into flames except one book and that was the Holy Bible.

If you visit the countries which the Apostles visited then you will find the work of God all over the places.
hingehead

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 07:36 pm
@CrisTianUk,
Quote:
If you visit the countries which the Apostles visited then you will find the work of God all over the places.

Couldn't agree more.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 08:18 pm
@hingehead,
Polling by Ipsos in Canada and Pew Research in the United States, in the first decade of this century, showed that 10% or more of those responding by naming a religious confession in which they participate do not in fact believe in god. Both organizations have stopped asking the question.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 01:46 am
@hingehead,
You can express your atheism however much you want, but you can't claim that people who say they are not religious are atheists, no matter how intrigued you are by the concept.

That's what you did, and if you need to lie to spread your message then you're not much different from the rest.

hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 06:26 am
@izzythepush,
I wasn't aware I was claiming anything. But what percentage of those who say they aren't religious are theist and how many atheist? Genuinely curious.

Almost as curious as I am about these atheist strictures you say I'm meant to follow.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 07:13 am
@hingehead,
The meme you posted claimed that 80% of Sweden was atheist. I don't have the Swedish figures to hand, but British figures show that 13% of the respondents were atheist but 40% had no religion or none. Now those 40% had the option to say they were atheist but chose not to. Whether or not they believe in god/gods is academic, they chose not to say they were atheist.

Now I imagine the same is true of the Swedish figures, but in any event I'm sure the amount of Swedes saying they're atheist is significantly less than 80%.

What was your motivation in posting the meme if it was not to claim some inherent moral superiority over those who aren't atheist?

My impression of atheists is based on the behaviour of those in the media and here on A2K, and I can't see a great of difference between them and other religions.

Take Setanta, he claims to be a soft atheist, who just does not believe in god, but he's very quick to leap to it's defence and ridicule anyone who thinks otherwise, and then there's his tales of childhood misery at the hands of nuns. Soft atheist my arse.

All I'm asking is a bit of honesty, if someone says they're an atheist fair enough, but if they say they have no religion you can't claim they're an atheist, or a soft Christian for that matter. No religion means no religion, you don't have to have a religion like you don't have to support a football team.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 07:15 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
Almost as curious as I am about these atheist strictures you say I'm meant to follow.

I never said you had to follow anything, but evangelical atheists like Richard Dawkins exist as does the Sunday Assembly.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 07:19 am
@CrisTianUk,
CrisTianUk wrote:
one of my father friend had hes house burned down and everything went into flames except one book and that was the Holy Bible.

That could mean that, like the Crying Boy paintings that mysteriously survived when everything else went up in flames, the Bible is cursed.

http://www.theparanormalguide.com/blog/the-curse-of-the-crying-boys
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 11:47 am
@izzythepush,
I don't remember Setanta going on about nuns, but maybe I somehow missed it.
That was likely me as I have talked about nuns more than once. I studied with nuns for thirteen years, nine of which were not just ok, but were mostly wonderful.

However, one order of nuns, the ones that taught my high school were remarkably extreme. Luckily, I had a year at a catholic college before I transferred to a university, and that order of nuns at the college were not only sane, but terrific teachers. I left at the time because we couldn't afford the college; that turned out to be a good decision. My leaving religion behind happened gradually, starting a few years later on, and then, finally, I became suddenly sure about leaving, and never looked back.

I don't hate religion, but I'm not part of it at all. You know, a soft atheist.

I don't really get why you are so irritated with Hinge for just showing a meme.