Another day when there is no God

thack45

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 07:16 pm
@vansdad,
I've never been good with the fallacies, but I think this is somewhere in the realm of petitio principii and circulus in probando. Specifically, given the quoted text and reply, you have indicated that there is no other way to be serious in knowing if god exists save for usage of feelings and rhetoric; and further, that evidence is not at all a worthwhile means for coming to the conclusion. This of course is a common reaction from a religionist pressed for evidence, and is usually not too far in front of a profession of a faith that's stronger than any evidence could ever be
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 07:18 pm
@vansdad,
I already have my answer. I don't need somebody to teach me.
0 Replies

vansdad

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 07:26 pm
@FBM,
still looking with your eyes? lol
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 07:32 pm
And this is not intended as an arguing thread. There must be fifty threads here already arguing about religion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 09:21 pm
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPtkSzAaqQJIoHlwwmjZeFef_RukkLkxfaJzTkNtMXfuYYU3hl
0 Replies

vansdad

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 09:46 pm
@thack45,
well you got me all wrong. i was merely pointing out to use everything at our disposal in making descisions
FBM

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:19 am
@vansdad,
vansdad wrote:

still looking with your eyes? lol

And my brain, yes. If you know of some genuine, credible evidence for the existence of a god or gods, I'll give it a fair look. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/icon_thumright.gif
thack45

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 07:52 am
@vansdad,
Decent save, but based on what you actually posted, I don't buy it.

With that out of the way, I'll respect Edgar's intent here and note that no one is really bringing the humidity with a beautiful sunny morning, as well as more bumblebees taking up residence in my deck
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 08:31 am
If they want to get into it (atheist VS deist VS agnostic) let them start their own thread. If that one is of interest to me, I may take part. But possibly not.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 08:33 am
So, - Atheist breakfast. No, not roasted babies. Plus coffee. Now the day is ready to start for me.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 09:10 am
Our breakfast is yet to be had. Postponed by a little Boston with too much pent up energy, she needed to go out and smell a few blocks for a good 45 minutes. She of course has long since had her eats, and may be a minion of the bad dog
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 09:15 am
@thack45,
My dog gots the doggy door. I don't walk him very often.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 12:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Atheists never get into serious discussions with agnostics. They realize the atheistic position does not hold a candle (!) to the agnostic one. They realize all their talk about reason, logic and science being a big part of their adoption of atheism is nothing but garish wall-paper.

Atheists want to battle theists.

I do not know if there is a GOD or if there are gods;
I do not know if there are no gods;
I see no reason to suspect gods CANNOT EXIST;
I see no reason to suspect that gods MUST EXIST...that they are needed to explain existence;
I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction...

...so I don't.

I defy any atheist here to show how one comes to "there are no gods" or "it is more likely there are no gods than that there are gods"...

...through reason, logic or science.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 01:57 pm
Are there any definitive arguments against the existence of God? I don't think so. Perhaps most people claiming to be atheists have searched and evaluated the consequences of such belief and have concluded it a snare. Given those premises, I see no fault in the conclusion.

As most of you know, I have a contrary conclusion based on additional premises - premises taken in consideration of the excesses of the organized priesthood.

Still, I can find no essential difference between one claiming not to know and another claiming not to believe.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 02:06 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Are there any definitive arguments against the existence of God? I don't think so. Perhaps most people claiming to be atheists have searched and evaluated the consequences of such belief and have concluded it a snare. Given those premises, I see no fault in the conclusion.

Neither do I. I have merely pointed out that an assertion that "there are no gods"...or " it is more probable that there are no gods than that there are"...is nothing more than a guess.

Edgar agrees with me.

Quote:
As most of you know, I have a contrary conclusion based on additional premises - premises taken in consideration of the excesses of the organized priesthood.

I do understand that...and in my opinion, there is nothing "wrong" with that. You certainly have a right to guess that at least one god exists...and you MAY BE right.

Quote:

Still, I can find no essential difference between one claiming not to know and another claiming not to believe.

Well...there certainly is a huge difference. Not sure why you cannot see it, but it is glaring if you look.

Under any circumstances I am not debating that. I am debating the difference between people who say, "I do not know if gods exist or not...and the evidence available on the issue is too ambiguous to make a meaningful guess"...

...and those who say, "There are no gods" or "It is more likely there are no gods than that there are."

Right?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 02:12 pm
@neologist,
Nobody gives a ****, on this thread, neologist.
neologist

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 02:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah!?
Well, you live in Texas!
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 02:31 pm
@neologist,
Another nobody gives a ****. Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 02:33 pm
See!

Discussion with a theist...and no discussion with the agnostic.
neologist

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 02:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
And a most intellectually stimulating discussion at that.
Nuances of Tejas scatology.
Whowoulddaknown?