Ballet for the novices

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 12:32 pm
What ballet moves that are described as "small" can be done by someone with NO ballet experience at all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,673 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dupre

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 01:09 pm
Hi, Harry. Welcome to able2know.

I take it your are either looking for excersise or you have the task of choreographing some dance for a fund-raiser with novices.

Let me know, and I'll taper my answer accordingly.

I'll just go fetch my books and tapes . . .
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:05 pm
Fro excercise I recommend the New York City Ballet workout available at www.palmpictures.com

For a simple book on ballet with detailed descriptions of the positions and moves in word and drawings I recommend

Usborne Book of Ballet & Dance
EDC Publishing, 10302 E. 55th Place
Tulsa, OK 74146

I got my copy from the Baobab Tree in Austin, years ago. (512) 328-7636

amazon doesn't have any, and I don't know if the Baobab is even still around.

This book covers some rock 'n roll and jazz, too. It's truly simple and for that, I love it!

For a simple dance, this is their recommendation:

Glissade derriere (to the left)

Assemble dessus (to the left)

Two changements (on the spot)

Two pas de chats (to the right)

Soutenu (on the spot)

They suggest trying it at different speeds for different moods.

Glissade derriere:

Arms in fifth en bas. Place your feet in fifth position with your right foot in front and do a demi-plie.

Incline your head to your left. Slide your left foot to second position and open your arms through first into demi-seconde.

As your arms reach demi-seconde, raise your left foot about 7cm (3in) and point it.

Then spring to the left. As you land, stretch you right foot off the ground by about 3in.

Assemble dessus:

Slide your right foot back to a demi-plie in fifth. Lower your arms through first, to fifth en bas.

Slide your left foot to second, about 3in off the ground. Open your arms to demi-seconde.

Just as your foot reaches second, spring in the air off your right foot. Lean your head to the left.

Bring both legs together in the air to met and land gently in a demi-plie, with your left foot in front.

Two changements:

Straighten your legs and head, so you are looking directly to the front. Then do a demi-plie.

Now spring with straight legs into the air and swap the positions of your legs before landing.

Land in a demi-plie in fifth, right foot in front. Then spring into the air for the second changement.

Keep your legs straight.

Change your legs before landing, so you land with your left leg in front. Then staighten you legs.

Two Pas de chats

Arms in third. Incline head you your right.

From a demi-plie, jump to the right and bring the toes of your right leg to meet your left knee.

Raise your left leg to meet the toes of your right leg. Then land in a demi-plie, with the left leg in front. (This is the retire position.)

Again, jump to the right bringing the toes of your right leg to meet your left knee.

Raise your left leg to the retire position. Land in a demi-plie, with your left leg in front.

Soutenu:

Lower your arms to fifth en bas. Make a small circle with the right leg, bringing it round your left leg.

This carries you into a turn to your left. Turn on the ball of your foot. Bring your feet to fifth position.

Contiue the turn on tiptoe, moving your amrs through fifth en avant up to fifth en haut.

Open your arms out to second. End with your left foot in front, so you are ready to repeat the enchainement, this time to the right.

A dictionary or encyclopedia will probably have some pictures for some of these terms.

I know the above sounds complicated, but it's really quite simple, and certainly doesn't have to be perfect to have good effect.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 01:25 am
Oops! I guess my reply wasn't so "small" after all.

Sorry.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 10:31 am
Did my response here scare Harry away forever?
0 Replies