vast unknown

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 07:42 am
"European sailors were afraid to sail straight westward into this vast unknown."

Can I write this sentence in the following way?

"European sailors were afraid to sail straight westward into this unknown vast."

Why 'unknown' is written after the word "vast"? If I place 'unknown' before 'vast', what differences will arise?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,126 • Replies: 19
No top replies

argome321

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 07:53 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
Isn't vast descriptive of the unknown. Isn't vast the adjective describing the unknown? The Unknown being the noun? Or are you being descriptive of the sailors? I guess you can write it as " Sailors were afraid to sail westward into the vast and unknown?
Nousher Ahmed

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 08:50 am
@argome321,
It is difficult for me to understand your explanation. Would you like to make it easy? I think, I am going to learn something from you.

Thanks a lot.
argome321

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:05 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
contact Ragman. Pm him, he's a professional writer. He can help you. He is more than willing to help you.
Nousher Ahmed

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:25 am
@argome321,
How will I contact with him?
argome321

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:41 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
Do a search on Ragman. Click on his namek From there you should be able to PM him.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:48 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
"Unknown" is actually just shorthand for "unknown (and frightening) area of the world."

Take a look at the sentence with the longhand, rather than shorthand, wording...and I think it will come into focus easily.

"European sailors were afraid to sail straight westward into this vast unknown (and frightening) area of the world."

You certainly would not want to write that: "European sailors were afraid to sail straight westward into this unknown (and frightening) area of the world vast."

Yeah?

0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 02:46 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
Nousher Ahmed wrote:

Why 'unknown' is written after the word "vast"? If I place 'unknown' before 'vast', what differences will arise?

'Vast' is an adjective. "European sailors were afraid to sail straight westward into this unknown vast." I have to ask "Vast what?"
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 03:05 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,

vast unknown = huge unknown area
layman

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 04:05 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
vast unknown = huge unknown area

Yes. But, as has been suggested, saying "vast unknown" as opposed to merely "unknown," generally has an added connotation of huge areas of "doubt." There are many uncertainties, and therefore all the more reason to be cautious before entering.
contrex

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 05:14 pm
The unknown

unknown

noun

the unknown : a place, situation, or thing that you do not know about or understand

: a person who is not famous or well-known

: something that is not known or not yet discovered
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 05:35 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
.....unknown vastness. That would work.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 06:16 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Not poetically.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 02:31 am
@layman,

Well no ****, Sherlock.

(I was answering a grammatical point, and not a philosophical one. But thank you for your contribution.)
contrex

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 04:05 am
On my deathbed I lie
My punishment, I know, awaits.
As I venture out into the unknown vast and dark
My soul trembles within me.

(c) 2015 Contrex

But hey! I can't croak until the Mad Men season finale! That would be too cruel!

izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 04:06 am
@contrex,
Anything to get out of doing the washing up.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 03:38 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Well no ****, Sherlock.

(I was answering a grammatical point, and not a philosophical one. But thank you for your contribution.)

You seem rather upset. Why is that?

Btw, I don't think the meaning (whether denotational or connotational) of words fall within the category of "grammar" (or "philosophy" for that matter). I was just trying to help with the intended meaning of the phrase "vast unknown," ya know?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 07:25 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
Morphing parts of speech are a boon to creative writers and a bane to those learning English as a second language. 'Vast' and 'unknown' are both adjectives; but 'unknown' also has long standing use as a noun.

So, your choice would be between 'vast unknown' and 'unknown vastness'. Either would be grammatically correct.
layman

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 09:28 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
So, your choice would be between 'vast unknown' and 'unknown vastness'. Either would be grammatically correct

Grammatically correct, or not, the commonly understood meaning (the "connotation," you might say) would not be the same, would it, Neo?
neologist

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 12:04 am
@layman,
Of course.
I can't think of any situation where I might be tempted to use unknown vastness.

Except when describing the depths of the denizens of a2k, that is.
0 Replies