Could there possibly be an edge to existence itself.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 01:00 pm
@neologist,
You asked!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 01:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No. I'm the one person you can rely on to expose your turgid rubbish. You are a complete ignoramus about the contextual demands of word usage yet produce total crap about words like "know", "reality" or "guess" and then have the idiocy to claim that people like me who point to their fluid meaning are at your ludicrous level.

north

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 01:31 pm
@fresco,
We won't know if there is an edge until we know the shape of the Universe
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 01:33 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

No. I'm the one person you can rely on to expose your turgid rubbish. You are a complete ignoramus about the contextual demands of word usage yet produce total crap about words like "know", "reality" or "guess" and then have the idiocy to claim that people like me who point to their fluid meaning are at your ludicrous level.

Oh, Fresco...one other thing about that gutter. It seems to become comfortable very quickly. Once someone like you gets into it...they revel in it and slurp around in the dung.

Glad to see you doing that...and doing so publicly. I was pretty sure that's where you would be comfortable...but I thought you might never confirm I was correct.

Yer a good guy for doing so.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 02:01 pm
@neologist,
The OP is trivial because it is meaningless.
More interesting to me is the logic (for want of a better word) that different believers use to define "existence" and its limits. I am surprised, for example, that you could write off the "existence" of "one of God's creations" at all. Obviously, as an atheist, I am not entitled to make judgments about theological systems, but surely even believers would understand that seemingly ad hoc systems mitigate against their general acceptance.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 02:05 pm
@fresco,
Everything seems to be "meaningless" to you, Fresco...except for your opinions about REALITY...and damn near everything else.

Get over yourself. And while you are at it...get over the notion that humans determine what is and what is not.

Oh, one other thing: Learn the difference between "what IS"...and human understanding and descriptions of "what IS."

There's more, but I'll save it.
fresco

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 02:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I can hear that sleep talking gibberish again ! Sheep counting sheep !
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 02:25 pm
@fresco,
Nope...no gibberish...no rubbish.

That is gutter talk.

You are just getting into the state!

Come out before you are too addicted to ever get out.

And get over yourself.
neologist

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 02:45 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
... I am surprised, for example, that you could write off the "existence" of "one of God's creations" at all. . .
You are correct in that only God would have that prerogative. And, contrary to the asseverations of many, he has the wherewithal to do it.
north

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 05:43 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

fresco wrote:
... I am surprised, for example, that you could write off the "existence" of "one of God's creations" at all. . .
You are correct in that only God would have that prerogative. And, contrary to the asseverations of many, he has the wherewithal to do it.

Monogod perspective
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 11:50 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
He was thinking suicide by cop. A teacher tackled him an instant before the security guard could take him out. So, for an instant, this misguided youngster was at the very edge of existence.

So am I correct in thinking that in your system the "sin" of suicide would end spiritual existence and that this is part of a whole morality package concerning euthanasia, abortion etc. ? Indeed, could you argue that the security guard's existence was also in jeopardy since he would also be "sinning" ?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 05:44 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Elsewhere on this forum you will find pages and pages of waffle generated by a simpleton arguing that Einstein was only "guessing" (wrongly) about Special Relativity

Bound and determined to display your ignorance and inability to understand everywhere you go, eh, Fresky?

Aint nuthin new, I guess. What "talking points" ya got on behalf of solipsistic fundamentalism, epistemological absurdity, linguistic realism, and general buffoonery do you have to share with us today?
fresco

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 12:57 am
@layman,
I see you have a touch of adjectival diarrhoea ! Smile

The "point" I am making here which your vested interests and intellectual baggage make you blind to, is that words like "know", "existence" and "reality" are NEVER context independent, and that those contexts always have a personal element (called "I") and a social element (which Kuhn called "paradigm"). So the "I" which believers like Neo see themselves as "being" is set within a particular variety of religious social paradigm (JW I think). And when such a person asserts "I know", he does indeed know within his paradigm on which his self integrity is predicated. That "I" cannot say otherwise. Its "existence" as viewed by itself proves the point.

The other nail in your particular intellectual coffin is that you fail to understand that paradigms in general, and scientific ones in particular, are are based on consensus which shifts with zeitgeist and is a function of conditioning. (Your resistance of such conditioning puts you out on a limb). The historical consensus surrounding SR is impervious to your puny attempts to overturn it. It was a natural fait accompli which generated subsequent advances in physics irrespective of later hindsight when viewed from alternative paradigms (themselves subject to revision).

Of course, the integrity of that "layman" you call yourself will resist such contextual analysis. Who would want accept that their intellectual investment hitherto had been futile ? So go on, thrash about with irrelevancies about my "philosophical status". Set up a "fresco" which "laymen" needs to demolish. But don't expect another "fresco" who is aware of such games to want to play.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 01:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, if you can wake up sufficiently that second paragraph above equally applies to you.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 04:43 am
@fresco,
Get over yourself, Fresco.

Get over your notion that the abilities of humans do understand, comprehend, and explain REALITY...is the end-all of REALITY.

FINALLY...grok the difference between being able to put ideas of REALITY into words...and the true nature of the REALITY of existence.

There are limits to our linguistic abilities...but you have incorporated that lack of ability into a religion which you are defending with the absurdity some theists put into defending their indefensible ideas.

Good luck with that...and thanks for the laughs!
fresco

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 05:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
Asleep as expected !

You are the religious one, because you think that there is an absolute state called "reality" against which concepts of "truth" can be ultimately be tested. The fact that this hypothetical state can operationally never be "visited" or "experienced" (for want of a better word) puts you firmly in the religious camp. Your agnosticism is a joke. You are an intellectual hypocrite stuck with a simplistic axiom on which you hang your self integrity.,without the ability to recognize the fact.

And you have the nerve to claim that pragmatists/relativists who argue that what we call "reality" shifts, is contextual, and is consensually "what works" are "religious" ! That makes you not only a hypocrite but an idiot !

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 05:54 am
@fresco,
Your are stuck in the gutter, Fresco...as I suggested you might be.

But I want to wish you a Happy Muthah's Day anyway!
layman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 07:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Your are stuck in the gutter, Fresco...as I suggested you might be.

I disagree, Frank. He is not "stuck" at that relatively high altitude. He has been swept by a big-ass rain from the gutter, down the street drain, and into the depths of the sewer, I figure.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 08:21 am
@layman,
Could be, Layman.

In any case, he is a lot lower than I ever expected to see him.

Too bad that.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 09:37 am
Not lower....merely responding once in a while in a manner which makes it clear that perpetual inanity gets on peoples nerves, and I for one do not tolerate fools gladly.
Thank you both for that opportunity of expression. You can now both go back to sleep on "ignore".